Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

I think I might be having some buyers remorse with the XSX.

I have the machine plus the expansion and extra pad and some games. I'm not setting it up until Christmas but the comment in the other thread about it is like getting a new iPhone has really knocked my enthusiasm for it.

I have a One X so it is going to be about loading speed and slickness at least to start with.

I just can't shake the feeling that without a killer launch game it is all a bit sad.

First World problems eh?

And no, i'm not selling it.

I've spent so long waiting for it that now I have it in my possession I feel a bit empty.

Does that make any sense?

4 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

I have the machine plus the expansion and extra pad and some games. I'm not setting it up until Christmas but the comment in the other thread about it is like getting a new iPhone has really knocked my enthusiasm for it.

I have a One X so it is going to be able loading speed and slickness at least to start with.

I just can't shake the feeling that without a killer launch game it is all a bit sad.

First World problems eh?

I've spent so long waiting for it that now I have it in my possession I feel a bit empty.

I find that with almost any electronic based purchase I have the exact same reaction.  How old are you and do you have other commitments? 

I only ask as for me this initial remorse is tied to the fact that nobody really needs any of this stuff at all and when I think of my family and things; I feel like I am in some way neglecting them by purchasing a new "toy" which could be used elsewhere.

This is despite the fact that we are not doing too bad really and can luckily afford some luxuries in life. Long story short...it's ok to spend some money on something you want every now and then - even if on some base level assessment of needs it isn't essential. I'm sure the feeling will pass... 

Oh yes I agree. I'm in my 5th decade and have kids, wife job etc...

I knew going in that it would only be an incremental upgrade but only when the iPhone comparison was made it made me think.

I know full well that this is a machine hopefully for the next 7 years and that some great games will be incoming.

23 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

I may have the same with the S.

Having sold my second One X recently (and I had an OG Xbone before those) I've played most of what I wanted.

I have yet to open the box on this but it doesn't look like Smyth's do returns anyway so, erm, shit!

Ah well, I can always play Tetris Connected.

I also really disagree regarding it being "just an incremental upgrade". It may feel like that for reasons I can understand at the moment but this console is a true generational leap in front of the One X never mind the other systems in One line up.

I'm a bit deflated already. 

I think old age has killed any excitement I had for gaming. 

I have fired up about 10 games and got bored within half an hour of each. 

I get more excited with the hype and when I actually get them I just think to myself "I would rather watch a film right now". 

I hope this passes. 

33 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

I have a One X so it is going to be about loading speed and slickness at least to start with.

First World problems eh?

It is definitely a bit disappointing not to have a game that you can buy that really shows off the system. Halo for the Xbox, Rogue Leader for Gamecube, Wii Sports etc. 

Its going to be a great system but it's defo a shame to have to wait to see even partly what the console will eventually be capable of. 

1 hour ago, AceGrace said:

Oh yes I agree. I'm in my 5th decade and have kids, wife job etc...

I knew going in that it would only be an incremental upgrade but only when the iPhone comparison was made it made me think.

I know full well that this is a machine hopefully for the next 7 years and that some great games will be incoming.

Ah don't feel bad. You go out and earn money it's fine to get some of the finer things in life you enjoy! 

I tend to just have one main gaming thing and sell everything when I'm done with it these days to fund the new toys.

It's like anything in life isn't it? An old car that is perfectly functional and will get you from a to b fine but there is always the lure of something shinier. Same with any hobby. Trick is just to enjoy it zero guilt. Or just be happy with what you have.

In the grand scheme of things gaming is an incredibly cheap hobby. So £500 now and again isn't a huge ask. Especially when you see what people can and do spend on their pastimes and hobbies! :)

1 minute ago, McCoy said:

It is definitely a bit disappointing not to have a game that you can buy that really shows off the system. Halo for the Xbox, Rogue Leader for Gamecube, Wii Sports etc. 

Its going to be a great system but it's defo a shame to have to wait to see even partly what the console will eventually be capable of. 

I know.... That's why it's kind of best to think of it as a PC upgrade. You old things will run smoother and faster. And so will new releases. It's just the way MS have done it this time. Sort of a paradigm shift. No bad thing IMHO. Get where you are coming from though. Felt the same for a bit then booted up Forza Horizon 4 again and downloaded a bunch of games to play from GamePass and then forgot all about it....

Fortnite loading so quickly and frankly looking stunning is enough for me to justify the purchase - I wasn’t expecting Fortnite to look so good, I even considered I had some next gen glasses on and fired up the PS4 pro version and after 4 days of loading it looks shite compared to the series X and one assumes PS4 version.

For me so far the series X has been great, I love the pad and the speed is such a big jump it feels like this is how it should be!

The upgrade from the regular Bone is ginormous, honestly. Even for old games, stuff that barely ran properly and looked ugly as sin is now 60fps smooth and crisp. It's like the system we should have had all along. 

From the One X, sure, I suppose lots of those improvements aren't as massive outside of the specially s/x optimised games. 

1 hour ago, AceGrace said:

First World problems eh?

Absolutely makes sense.  I was up to 4am trying various games from my backlog hoping something would jump out and scream at me "look at me now, I'm HDR and smooth as butter. Rediscover me." 

Nothing really did so far. I've got 650 games to try though so enough to keep me busy for a while.

Okay, it's unboxed and plugged in. Controller is just finishing it's update.

Holy hell, that's a small box!! So impressive!

Controller feels nicer than the One X pad because of the texturing and the bumpers feel more pronounced which I like.

Set-up was nice and fast using the phone app. 

I've plugged a 540GB HDD into the back which will certainly help storage wise.

Here. We. Go. Again.

Hardware impression. It’s a box. It’s silent. It’ll do HDR better than the PC that’s currently next to it. It can sit on top of the subwoofer out of the way, not calling attention to itself.

Other than that, it’s an Xbox. Games Pass has a huge amount of stuff, and is paid up for the next god knows how many months. The store is finally bearable, without noticeable loading times. The upgrade of installed stuff to the optimised versions is a pos, but it’s a one time thing.

Tetris Effect is still Tetris Effect, and I’m still crap at it. I can’t even remember if the other version I have is on PS4 or PC :-D...

4 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Rats, my X is a bit fucked. When playing from disc it’s noisy as hell. It’s a little better in horizontal orientation but still louder than it probably should be. Also just tried the blu-ray player out on Guardians Vol.2 and the picture keeps going black.

Oh no sorry to hear that... completely forgot that this thing has an optical drive in it! :D

Tried a hard reset and erasing everything and starting again? Although the drive being noisy isn't a great sign :( 

26 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Anyone using a Series S on a 4K TV? How does it look? I’ve heard Forza 4 is 1080p, so interested to hear if it looks a bit soft or jaggy.

Yes I am, and coming from a One S. Even with HDR enabled I'm not getting the 'OMG my eyes!' reaction that others have posted about the Series X version but it does look noticeably better than before. It's quite obviously running at a less than native resolution but it's not offensively bad at all.

for the display but not in an offensive way at all.

So PC and Xbox together. Kind of cute... like they were from the same family.... Interestingly the Xbox is much more powerful than the PC at the moment! :) (and foreseeable future!).

That is the comparison between the GPUs in both machines. The card in the PC is a NVidia GTX 980Ti - it is five years old though. :) 

Nice gaming upgrade I think!

Dad_And_Son_PC_XbSX.jpg

GPU_Comparison.png

5 minutes ago, sprite said:

I feel like the Xbox is much more enjoyable than a phone upgrade.  I understand the rationale, but when you think that you can spend £800-1200 on a new iPhone, for minimal real quality of life improvements, £450 for a machine of this power is a steal.  I hope you will feel the same way when you actually get to play it :) 

Indeed! Only thing I have had on phone upgrades is a better camera. OK the screen gets better but the pixels get smaller. And the screens are still small anyway. 

Only reason I upgrade a phone is when I'm actually forced to because the OS gets upgraded to a point where some software needs the newer OS, phone company stops security patching or the difficult-to-replace battery dies.  That is on a phone that typically costs between £700-1000 when bought new and lasts what 2-3 years? Makes consoles look like a bargain at £450 to be fair given how much entertainment they give over the years....