Jump to content

Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Ry said:

Who thought the plastic on the controller and console was a good idea? 

 

If anything hard or metal rubs on it it leaves a permanent scratch scuff mark. Already have a massive scuff down my controller. 

 

Idiotic. 

 

Did you expect it to be ceramic, or made from stainless steel?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CarloOos said:

 

Did you expect it to be ceramic, or made from stainless steel?

 

I expect it to maybe not scuff with the slightest thing touching it. Like every other plastic item I have ever owned. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Download speeds seem to tank after playing a game over wired and wifi, going back to the dash speeds will have gone from ~200mb to ~10mb and don't increase unless the console is rebooted.

 

D-Pad annoyingly clicky.

 

Really need to silence the UI sound effects, can't find the option anywhere.

 

Stuff keeps moving around on the homescreen. The place I used to go to to open the settings is gone now. Do not like.

 

Gamepass great for a lapsed Xbox customer, SSD way too small to make the most of it though. Needs a 4TB option.

 

Halo CE still completely amazing especially on a big new telly.

 

Love that the X is silent but the shape is the complete opposite of what a console should be as well as being uninspiring. Feels like a prototype and under-designed.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Gamepass great for a lapsed Xbox customer, SSD way too small to make the most of it though. Needs a 4TB option

 

Absolutely, there is only around 800GB available out of the box and that's going to fill up pretty quick. I'm tempted to buy the expansion card but I'm sure there will be larger option in the future

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Download speeds seem to tank after playing a game over wired and wifi, going back to the dash speeds will have gone from ~200mb to ~10mb and don't increase unless the console is rebooted.

 

If you haven't actually quit the game (going back to the home screen doesn't close the game down) then this is done on purpose (I assume to keep as much bandwidth as possible free for if you are playing an online game). If you press the start button on the tile of the game and quit it completely, your speeds should go back up

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SteveH said:

If you haven't actually quit the game (going back to the home screen doesn't close the game down) then this is done on purpose (I assume to keep as much bandwidth as possible free for if you are playing an online game). If you press the start button on the tile of the game and quit it completely, your speeds should go back up

 

Makes sense, thanks. Probably defies the purpose of Quick Resume, though?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Nick_L said:

 

Absolutely, there is only around 800GB available out of the box and that's going to fill up pretty quick. I'm tempted to buy the expansion card but I'm sure there will be larger option in the future

 

The expansion card seems like a faff, they should have just offered a 4TB version and be done with it. Anyone spending that kind of money on an expansion card would have sprung for a larger internal SSD. There are a few rough edges and unrefined aspects to this console that just screams Microsoft. Consistency is lacking. I really like it overall but it's kind of clumsy and inelegant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

 

Makes sense, thanks. Probably defies the purpose of Quick Resume, though?

It's a carry over from the Xbox One so hopefully they should refine it over time. It would be better if it measured your speed and did a proportionate decrease. I'm on a 300meg BT connection, yet it always slows my speed down to about 40meg while a game is active

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Stuff keeps moving around on the homescreen. The place I used to go to to open the settings is gone now. Do not like.

 

 

 

The top row on the homescreen is dynamic and will just show your most recently used games and apps. You can always access the settings menu by bringing up the guide and navigating to your avatar tab (and your can always change the order the tabs appear on the guide as well).

 

Alternatively you could always press the start button on the settings app and create a group/add to an existing group and have that group added to your homepage. You can change the order groups appear on your homepage too.

 

You get a lot of flexibility to have stuff arranged how you want if you have a bit of a play around.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

 

The expansion card seems like a faff, they should have just offered a 4TB version and be done with it. Anyone spending that kind of money on an expansion card would have sprung for a larger internal SSD. There are a few rough edges and unrefined aspects to this console that just screams Microsoft. Consistency is lacking. I really like it overall but it's kind of clumsy and inelegant.


To me this sounds crazy as do most of the gripes above. 

 

A faff? You plug it in and you get an extra TB that’s it. 
 

A 4TB option? Because putting an expansion card out for a consumer friendly console at £500+ makes a lot of sense. 
 

I would have liked 2tb as well and I might get the expansion card at some point but I’m not sure what people who have dozens of games ready to go at any given moment are doing. Just have a cycle of games you’re playing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

 

The expansion card seems like a faff, they should have just offered a 4TB version and be done with it. Anyone spending that kind of money on an expansion card would have sprung for a larger internal SSD. There are a few rough edges and unrefined aspects to this console that just screams Microsoft. Consistency is lacking. I really like it overall but it's kind of clumsy and inelegant.

Oh crikey the media would have had fun with that. How much is 4TB of SSD storage anyway... £800? Making it a £1000+ console. Which is not a price point that people expect for a games console... fine for a smartphone though :D 

 

Personally think 1TB is a good size for a console costing £450.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Think they modeled the Series X on this....

image.png.e8fce0869e6ecb95428fcb9373fe258d.png

 

Queue 2001 Space Odyssey music....

 

Personally I like it. Inoffensive and quiet. Tuck it out of the way and get on with playing... 

 

do it right :D

 

image.png.1bc92dd97f2927efab2f6cf41adcad3b.png

 

we are but apes before it's magnificence and we will learn so much from it :D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yiggy said:


To me this sounds crazy as do most of the gripes above. 

 

A faff? You plug it in and you get an extra TB that’s it. 
 

A 4TB option? Because putting an expansion card out for a consumer friendly console at £500+ makes a lot of sense. 
 

I would have liked 2tb as well and I might get the expansion card at some point but I’m not sure what people who have dozens of games ready to go at any given moment are doing. Just have a cycle of games you’re playing. 

 

Can you play games directly off the expansion card though? I thought you had to transfer them to the internal SSD to play?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

 

Can you play games directly off the expansion card though? I thought you had to transfer them to the internal SSD to play?

Think you can. Just like you can play things on Xbox currently on an external drive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Series X makes an audible noise that sounds like something writing to an old mechanical hard drive :unsure:  It's not loud or annoying but it is audible in a quiet room (and continues for a while after the machine's been turned off, so it's probably fan related). It doesn't sound like it's malfunctioning or anything, it's just a slightly odd sound. To be honest if I didn't know it had an SSD in it, I'd probably have assumed it WAS a hard drive.

 

Anyone else getting this?

 

It's horizontal in a TV unit at the moment, got a reasonable amount of clearance but it's a toasty little beast so was wondering if it would be better moved.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

 

Can you play games directly off the expansion card though? I thought you had to transfer them to the internal SSD to play?

You know you don’t need to run every game off the internal? Only the ones that have an XS logo? I have an old Seagate 4tb plugged in with most of my library on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

My Series X makes an audible noise that sounds like something writing to an old mechanical hard drive :unsure:  It's not loud or annoying but it is audible in a quiet room (and continues for a while after the machine's been turned off, so it's probably fan related). It doesn't sound like it's malfunctioning or anything, it's just a slightly odd sound. To be honest if I didn't know it had an SSD in it, I'd probably have assumed it WAS a hard drive.

 

Anyone else getting this?

 

It's horizontal in a TV unit at the moment, got a reasonable amount of clearance but it's a toasty little beast so was wondering if it would be better moved.

 

 


Mine does a little sort of click when turning it on, maybe only after it’s been proper ‘off’ off though. Not sure. 
 

My only ‘request’ I’d say, rather than complaint, would be an option to reduce the brightness of the LED. It’s a bit distracting. 
 

Bigger drive would be nice of course but as others have said, would have made it more expensive and we’re probably all a bit special case here (in more ways than one) and your average punter is less likely to fill it up so quickly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  

18 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I thought the same but I have nearly 400gb of gameplay recording on my PS4, I tried to sort it the other day but there is too much!

 

Depends on the game, doesn't it. Most of the time 3 minutes is enough, but if I play something like a fighting game and fancy capturing a few spaced-out highlights, I can just take mental notes on the PS4 and let it roll for half an hour in case any more happen.

 

17 hours ago, Wallace said:

There is with a separate external drive, not sure how much you can record at a time. 

 

Yeah, I wondered if that might be an option. I know internal space isn't the best on the S, but I'd still like to be able to use a larger chunk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.