Console launches - your most memorable?

I’ve only ever been a part of two launches and both have been an absolute disaster, Xbox 360, Red ring of death out of the box and the Xbox One had a clicky disc drive so I had to send it straight back, I’d booked a week off for the Xbox One launch too and had sold my 360 in anticipation, I spent the whole week sulking and feeling sorry for myself,

I’ve got the Series X coming tomorrow so I fully expect it to spontaneously combust in the posties hands.

Edit - I tell I lie, as a young lad I was bought a Dreamcast at launch for my birthday, trouble was the only package left was a Dreamcast with Jimmy Whites Cueball, I spent about 8 months playing that sodding game while all my mates were playing Power Stone.

Gamecube was my first launch day console, I picked it up in the morning from WHSmiths of all shops, can't remember why or if I preorered or not. 

It was also my last day of University until September so took it on the bus with me and got home maybe 2pm to start playing. 

Wii, preorered but didn't get it launch day December 8th, indy game shop I preorered from only had one and I was third on the list. I got a call 3 days before Xmas thay had it in to collect. 

Switch, ordered online for launch day, was tracking DPD then when n he was 2 stops away at around 4pm he suddenly disappeared saying failed delivery. 

I was going out that night so thought I'd probably pick it up the next day, got home at 10pm and my next door neighbour had it! 

I set it up, but was tired so decided to start BOTW the next day. 

2 hours ago, CovisGod said:

I’ve only ever been a part of two launches and both have been an absolute disaster, Xbox 360, Red ring of death out of the box and the Xbox One had a clicky disc drive so I had to send it straight back, I’d booked a week off for the Xbox One launch too and had sold my 360 in anticipation, I spent the whole week sulking and feeling sorry for myself,

I’ve got the Series X coming tomorrow so I fully expect it to spontaneously combust in the posties hands.

Edit - I tell I lie, as a young lad I was bought a Dreamcast at launch for my birthday, trouble was the only package left was a Dreamcast with Jimmy Whites Cueball, I spent about 8 months playing that sodding game while all my mates were playing Power Stone.

Leecar.jpg

Lots of memorable launches imo.

Both the MegaDrive and SNES had a great launch line-up.

The PlayStation was another amazing launch.

The N64 launched with the seminal Super Mario 64, but was marred by the sharp price drop some mere months later.

Even the Gamecube managed to impress with Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race BS. The Xbox had Halo.

But the one that stands out the most for me was the Dreamcast. PowerStone and Sonic Adventure just blew me away. Maybe I just wasn't expecting Sega to ever get back in the game after the dismal Mega 32X and Saturn combo.

Lately console launches haven't been all that imo, with the Switch being a notable exception - but even then Breath of the Wild was also available on the Wii U.

Wii, Wii U, PS2, PS3, PS4 and Xbox 360 all launched with mediocre games.

Xbox 360 for me. Picked mine up with a good selection of games that included PGR3, Perfect Dark Zero (lol) and the brilliant Condemned. Straight over to a mate's house with other mates joining later for drinks and 360 shenanigans. Good times. :)

I’ve had most consoles since the Dreamcast at launch but the most memorable console pick up was just after launch. 

I didn’t preorder a PS2 because the launch line up was weak and then regretted it. Nowhere had stock and it looked like there would a long wait. 

Not long after launch Tesco announced they had procured 2500 consoles from mainland Europe which Sony weren’t happy about apparently. They were seeking 500 at 5 different stores around the country and one of those was my local store in Cardiff. 

Sped there with my mum and sister and joined the queue about 20th. Spent the whole day waiting watching the queue snake around the store until they arrived and started selling them. 

Felt really lucky to have one. The launch line up was still shit however. 

The TrueAchievements Xbox Story thing is great:

Spoiler

l6srRg5.jpg

I didn't buy a 360 at launch, as you can probably tell by that first COD3 achievement, but that is by far the most special console purchase for me. I bought it the week before Gears of War came out, after falling off gaming towards the end of the PS2-era. Gears 1 was the first game that genuinely looked next-gen to me and it absolutely blew me away - playing it on my 14" CRT TV. And online co-op! Probably the first and only game I've played in online co-op (billy no mates).

That was incredible.

Dreamcast for me. It was my first console launch, organised it with a mate who worked in Gamestation at the time (when they were in that shitty little shop along the Horsefair in Bristol) and traded in my N64 with a ton of games for it. 

Think I had Sonic Adventure and Toy Commander, it was a nice sweetener as I had failed my driving test the day before.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Xbox 360 for me. Picked mine up with a good selection of games that included PGR3, Perfect Dark Zero (lol) and the brilliant Condemned. Straight over to a mate's house with other mates joining later for drinks and 360 shenanigans. Good times. :)

Oh jeez Condemned. What a game... That was also one of my launch bundle titles! Still plays well now... scary as hell. It's also backward compatible.... 

I remember preordering the Wii U from Amazon, and it arriving two days before launch. And the physical disc copy of Nintendo Land having been removed by Amazon without warning. So I had nothing to play on my new console. One angry phone call got me the game after a week, as I wasn’t being fobbed off with a mere download code. Never bought any electrical goods off Amazon since.

(The Wii U had such a muted launch. Barely anyone seemed to understand it was a new console, and not just “a tablet for the Wii”. Like night and day compared to the Switch launch year later.)

I've only ever bought two consoles at launch, so there's not much competition.

Most memorable would be this one, because of how spectacularly Amazon have managed to fuck it up, with my orders page still saying my Series X will be delivered today, but that it still hasn't been dispatched. An email arrived saying it will arrive tomorrow, maybe. Amazon customer services tell me it'll arrive ASAP, but they can't guarantee it will even be this month.

Best would be the Switch, because of how unique the console/control method was.

The Wii easily.

It was 2006, I’d not long turned 13 and I decided to pile all my money together in order to pre-order this affordable and revolutionary console that I was positive would change video games forever.

Then I got suspended from school for fighting and was told to stay home for the entirety of December so the situation could blow over. I was given work to do from home in the meantime.

Normally my parents would have taken all my games and shit away as punishment but they didn’t punish me this time. It hadn’t even been a month since I got given a concussion in a gang up and they knew I’d been provoked this time. Also two weeks grounded without video games or tv would have caused me to drive them crazy.

Anyway, December 8th comes, no Wii. I was told by my parents that demand was too high and Game couldn’t get my pre-order in. Same for the next few weeks, we get all the way to Christmas Eve and still no Wii’s in stock.

Christmas day comes along. I’m happy because it’s Christmas but it’s also a shame I’m not going to have the Wii, I was looking forward to buying Red Steel and Zelda over Boxing Day.

We have Christmas dinner and all is good. It’s now sometime after 5pm and I’m sat in the living room wondering what to do with myself.

My parents come in and tell me there’s another present for me. It’s big, it’s boxed shape, the wrapping paper is golden and... it’s my Wii, the same Wii I’d put down £180 for a month earlier. I knew I was in no position to argue with them withholding something I’d paid for. It was good parenting and it made me spend the month thinking about what was happening at school with no distractions. I was just happy to have the thing.

Wii Sports was great, think I played it all evening. It’s still surprising good now to be honest.

The Wii is still the only system I have purchased on release but even if it wasn’t I don’t see any system ever toppling it. The whole release period was important for me outside of gaming and even in the context of video games I don’t think there will ever be a generation of consoles that exciting ever again.

My most memorable was probably the PS1 when I was 17 ish. I'd walked into Game in town with £400 cash to buy a Saturn. Cash I'd saved working weekends at a shitty local pub. They had both consoles running on big LCD screens at either side of the checkout area. Saturn VIrtua Fighter looked pretty good on the left screen but I glanced over to the right while deliberating parting with such a huge amount of cash.

The new Sony machine. I'd read about this in my magazines. Arcade quality they said. The PlayStation screen was mostly playing a looping demo reel but it looked much better AND it was 100 quid less. So I asked for one.

"Sorry, pre-order's only"

"I've got cash here ready to go, man" "C'mon..."

*Spotty pleb scuttles off to see his sweaty manager*

"OK mate you can have this one since he hasn't turned up to collect it"

I bought Wipeout too and spent the time on the bus home reading the manual.

The only other launch day console I ever got was the Dreamcast. 

Back then it would take 40 odd minutes to download a tiny 300px odd size video of Sonic Adventure on dial up. But me and a mate were getting trying to watch anything we could in all the weeks leading up to the launch. Months even. 

Just getting ourselves hyped and hyped on anything we could find out. It looked amazing, proper next gen. The thought of 3D Sonic adventure at that speed was looking lush too. So much anticipation. 

I took the day off college to go to electronics boutique the moment it opened. I wondered if there'd be a queue...

...There was not. I was the only one that eager, they thought I was a little weird. But anyway, it was a relief to come straight home with Sonic Adventure, Sega rally 2, powerstone and I think Tokyo street racer? or whatever it was called. It had these burn in lighting effects and street lamps reflected on the bonnet. Truly next gen.

I loved all the games and had a whale of a time, especially when Sonic had a killer whale of a time. Then the DC continued to be a joy, loads of anticipation for all the games I ended up getting and somehow that day 1 buzz just carried on, and it's still my favourite console experience I think.