PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Console Warz R Srs Business!

rafaqat

2 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I appreciate that the thread is (for some reason) focussed on the 'new' 'consoles', with a side in early-mid-80s home computer arguments, but I just wanted to draw attention to the comparison that really matters and is being ignored by the biased commentariat that make up rllmuk: the 16-bit computers. A true clash of the titans. Fortunately that war is long over, the victor plain to see, but perhaps we can learn something from it; in aide of that, another helpful table:

image.png.96b2cd97158fabfeda700c9c6788cb52.png

This just discredits anything you have ever said or done.

35 minutes ago, Majora said:

Someone who values access to the best version of titles on Gamepass more than a couple of exclusive launch titles? I'm buying both at launch and am not sure which I'd choose if I could only buy one. Gamepass has been genuinely transformative to my purchasing and playing habits but I also agree the PS5 launch titles plus Dualsense are more immeditely exciting. 

They both have some great selling points, can that not be enough? (Silly question I know, it's the internet so we have to argue that our personal preference is objectively better).

I think the way to look at it is this; if the tables were turned and MS had Sony’s first party library and Gamepass, PS5 would be dead in the water. So the question is whether GP without that library is compelling enough to distract people away from it -  I don’t think it is.

10 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Pardon!? Are you 5 or something. I mean it’s the only way I can see anyone would call this the best yet, if it was the only one they had been alive for. But even then, we have the inter-me-web...

Actually, as much as the PS5 launch titles are by-and-large not of interest to me (bar Astro Bot), I'll bite on this one. With the possible exception of the PS1,* I'd probably agree with Vemsie's sentiment here. Or are we really at the 'offering praise to Fantavision/Resistance/Knack'** part of history?

*Ridge Racer is a tough launch title to beat

**in fairness, Resogun was actually ace, and for me potentially puts the PS4 on a par if Astro Bot isn't quite as good as I'd hope, as I'm not interested in DS or MM. But I imagine I'm in a minority, there.

6 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Actually, as much as the PS5 launch titles are by-and-large not of interest to me (bar Astro Bot), I'll bite on this one. With the possible exception of the PS1,* I'd probably agree with Vemsie's sentiment here. Or are we really at the 'offering praise to Fantavision/Resistance/Knack'** part of history?

**in fairness, Resogun was actually ace, and for me potentially puts the PS4 on a par if Astro Bot isn't quite as good as I'd hope. But I imagine I'm in a minority, there.

PS1 was obv a much better launch line up but PS4 was also better - BF4 let alone resogun is better than anything launching on PS5!

3 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Are you mad? BF4 was a disgusting jaggy mess, it ran at about 640p and was janky as fuck.

Nope! I put thousands of hours into BF4 and it had a few issues on launch but was still a great game, obv PSN was a mess back then but even that didn’t stop me loving it esp coming from the PS3 version, that was actually 640p and on the worst pad ever created.

64 player 900p sometimes 60fps Battlefield was amazing, that and I (like most of the gaming population) don’t like Souls games makes it an easy win! 

4 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Nope! I put thousands of hours into BF4 and it had a few issues on launch but was still a great game, obv PSN was a mess back then but even that didn’t stop me loving it esp coming from the PS3 version, that was actually 640p and on the worst pad ever created.

64 player 900p sometimes 60fps Battlefield was amazing, that and I (like most of the gaming population) don’t like Souls games makes it an easy win! 

Well i owned BF4 on Xbox One as I didn't get the PS4 until Christmas Day but had the Xbox One from Day one, and it was actually 640p on that and it was shit.

awful game

image.thumb.png.57bbd8928aed1d2eb413d807df75da23.png

8 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

PS1 was obv a much better launch line up but PS4 was also better - BF4 let alone resogun is better than anything launching on PS5!

From Sony’s current stable Spider-Man is about as big as it gets, and Demon’s Souls is perhaps their most infamous (no pun intended) and sought after legacy title - I mean in those two titles alone it really doesn’t get much stronger, then throw in Astro Bot, which you may as well as it’s free with every PS5 sold, and you have as good a launch line up as you could hope for - you could stick BFVI and Resogun 2 in with it and they’d be completely over shadowed IMO - I mean there aren’t many games full stop as good as Demon’s - we’re in Metroid, Zelda, Mario territory with that one. 

5 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Well i owned BF4 on Xbox One as I didn't get the PS4 until Christmas Day but had the Xbox One from Day one, and it was actually 640p on that and it was shit.

awful game

image.thumb.png.57bbd8928aed1d2eb413d807df75da23.png

It was 720p and terrible on Xbox one launch, I remember trying it on my much later on purchased Xbone and being surprised at how much worse it looked - was still an awesome game, obv I’m talking about the actual game not the shitty campaign - people still play it today!

Saturn and Xbox one, you have a Knack for backing the wrong console on launch I see....

8 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Saturn and Xbox one, you have a Knack for backing the wrong console on launch I see....

Tch, that's nothing. My litany of first/only-machine-per-generation:

Atari ST

Game Gear

Didn't get a 16-bit console in-era

Saturn

Neo Geo Pocket Colour

Dreamcast

DS (hurrah!)

I/my family sure knew how to pick 'em!

(I did get a 360 and PS4 first in their generations, but many years into said generation in both cases)

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

Much as I love Phil Spencer, this may have already lost them the generation.

The only way they were ever going to sell more consoles than Sony is if Jim Ryan went full-Kutaragi with the PS5. 

3 hours ago, Wiper said:

**in fairness, Resogun was actually ace, and for me potentially puts the PS4 on a par if Astro Bot isn't quite as good as I'd hope, as I'm not interested in DS or MM. But I imagine I'm in a minority, there.

If we include handhelds, the PSP is Sony's best console for launch-day games.

Ridge Racers, Lumines, Everybody's Golf - three must-haves is pretty good.

I think the big problem is that the press and to an extent even us, have forgotten that the MS plan as much as they’ve publicised it, is to do something very different. Yet here we all are judging their output against our traditional expectations. 

It’s not a surprise it’s happened because mindsets are hard to shift. What’s made it harder for MS is the loss of Halo as a flagship launch title which ultimately has been a stick to beat them with. 

Any talk of them being ‘dead in the water’ is utterly ridiculous when you take their Gamepass strategy into account. Yes they will want the consoles to sell well but it’s all going to be about gamepass and the more millions of subs they get over the next few years the better for them. 

Also, remember that whether you like gamepass or not it’s objectively a wonderful proposition for those without tons of disposable cash. As is a £250 console to play them on. I find people being delighted that their much more expensive game console (taking into account the unit and the extra costs of the games etc) is better out the gate to be a bit distasteful. (Not targeting that at any individuals in here. I’m sure you’re all lovely)

8 hours ago, Wiper said:

Tch, that's nothing. My litany of first/only-machine-per-generation:

Atari ST

Game Gear

Didn't get a 16-bit console in-era

Saturn

Neo Geo Pocket Colour

Dreamcast

DS (hurrah!)

I/my family sure knew how to pick 'em!

(I did get a 360 and PS4 first in their generations, but many years into said generation in both cases)

Dreamcast was the best choice though! I still prefer it over the PS2, it's such a wonderful machine.

Just remember to wear headphones lol

4 hours ago, Yiggy said:

I think the big problem is that the press and to an extent even us, have forgotten that the MS plan as much as they’ve publicised it, is to do something very different. Yet here we all are judging their output against our traditional expectations. 

It’s not a surprise it’s happened because mindsets are hard to shift. What’s made it harder for MS is the loss of Halo as a flagship launch title which ultimately has been a stick to beat them with. 

Any talk of them being ‘dead in the water’ is utterly ridiculous when you take their Gamepass strategy into account. Yes they will want the consoles to sell well but it’s all going to be about gamepass and the more millions of subs they get over the next few years the better for them. 

Also, remember that whether you like gamepass or not it’s objectively a wonderful proposition for those without tons of disposable cash. As is a £250 console to play them on. I find people being delighted that their much more expensive game console (taking into account the unit and the extra costs of the games etc) is better out the gate to be a bit distasteful. (Not targeting that at any individuals in here. I’m sure you’re all lovely)

Woah, back up there - there’s a difference between “objectively” comparing the strength of respective launch titles or exclusives and being ‘delighted’ - that’s putting words in peoples mouths. 

While you youngsters prattle on with yer newfangled next gen apparatuses, know that Usagi Yojimbo on the C64 is still better than Ghost of Tsushima no matter how fast it loads on your game station:

Seriously though, this game has the kind of ambition that's missing from streamlined products like Tsushima - a free-form morality system, NPCs reacting to you behaving according to the honour code or not, gambling in Inns and chopping everyone's head off if you lose...  All on the humble C64. Wonderful game still.

5 hours ago, Yiggy said:

paupers gonna paup 

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Woah, back up there - there’s a difference between “objectively” comparing the strength of respective launch titles or exclusives and being ‘delighted’ - that’s putting words in peoples mouths. 

I possibly should have tempered my rhetoric a little but I think it stands. 

It’s a fact that PlayStation is a more expensive platform to invest in and that Xbox offers better value. 

Fans / adopters of the ‘winning’ side often like to revel in it and even now, before they’ve launched, a lot of the chatter in the biz has an air of smugness and victory and points scoring about it. With hardware this is fine but so many reviews and influencers are not mentioning the ecosystem MS are trying to reshape things with and when that’s at least 50% of their plan I find it very short sighted and a bit mean. 

6 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Gamepass is the only reason why I still play games these days.

As someone that has incredibly tight funds for frivolous things, I simply can’t afford to spend money on games that can cost upwards of £50.  Gamepass has been a blessing for someone like me, I can now choose from over 200 games for basically peanuts - even Gamepass at full price is still fantastic value.

3 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

It’s a fact that PlayStation is a more expensive platform to invest in and that Xbox offers better value. 

Fans / adopters of the ‘winning’ side often like to revel in it and even now, before they’ve launched, a lot of the chatter in the biz has an air of smugness and victory and points scoring about it. With hardware this is fine but so many reviews and influencers are not mentioning the ecosystem MS are trying to reshape things with and when that’s at least 50% of their plan I find it very short sighted and a bit mean. 

They’re both expensive toys, MS aren’t a charity, and I’m sure they’ll weather it. 

6 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Only to those who considered an Xbox though, there are now 115 million PS4 owners who are invested in that platform from last gen and will have a vast digital games library.

If the games you like playing are on PS5 then Microsoft need to give them a reason to look elsewhere and gamepass certainly does that. I think this is what you wanted reviewers to bring to the table.