IGNORED

PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Console Warz R Srs Business!

rafaqat

2 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Stop shitting up the console wars thread with your sensible talk ya fannies.

41 minutes ago, footle said:

Sony make massive money on pretty, mediocre, first party games. They have little reason to worry about game pass.

There you go. Back to our regular scheduled programming.

On 08/10/2021 at 10:10, MattyP said:

I've had a PS5 now for the best part of 5 months. The controller is really impressive (when its used well) but after playing through Astrobot (which is great and demonstrates the system and upgrades really well) I've not played anything that really engages me:-

That £70 thing is still a killer for me. I own one "PS5" box, and it's a Microsoft game.  At £50 I'd probably have bought Returnal and Ratchet.  Both those though will be candidates for the first big PS5 PS Plus month (lolknack) so now I'm paranoid about buying them.

On 08/10/2021 at 14:41, Harrisown said:

Like I said before , look at what happened in the 360 vs PS3 era. PS3 won that on sales which is incomprehensible 

Yep, since this is the console war thread let's point out that an Xbox has never beaten a PS worldwide.  That's the closest they've got.

30 minutes ago, Dudley said:

That £70 thing is still a killer for me. I own one "PS5" box, and it's a Microsoft game.  At £50 I'd probably have bought Returnal and Ratchet.  Both those though will be candidates for the first big PS5 PS Plus month (lolknack) so now I'm paranoid about buying them.

Sony never seem to put their own stuff on PS Plus. Eventually perhaps look how long they took to put Knack onto PSN+ for example.

Personally decided to stick with GamePass to do most of my gaming as I always find something interesting to play on there. The next thing I need to consider is what I play on. PC is creaking a bit. Half tempted to just get a Series S as it's cheap and cheerful and will make a great GamePass machine. 

PS5 still not sure about. At the moment not finding a compelling reason to keep it other than I know it will be hard get another if I decide I want one again in future. There will always be that exclusive that comes up... However question is will that exclusive be worth £70? From my experiences with the system so far I'm thinking not. Glad I never paid the asking price for either of exclusive games I have on the system. Best thing so far for me has been Astrobot. Which was free.

32 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Most people who buy a console do so just for FIFA or GTA. They couldn’t care about a subscription service that offers 100s of games, most of which are shit. 

Perhaps however not been a new GTA game for how many years now? FIFA can be played on many different devices. Not sure if this is true. Perhaps a new CoD game maybe. Who knows.

Think GamePass is stronger and gaining more traction than people think. Also EA are onboard now.  The subscription rate has seen enormous growth over the past year. As most subscription services much of the content won't appeal to you personally however that is the beauty of it - it doesn't need to. There is always something appealing on there. And it's £10.99 a month. Or less if you don't go ultimate.

What it usually comes down to I guess is what friends are playing on although for online gaming it's becoming ever more platform agnostic.

Anyhow guess the purpose of this topic is not to be sensible :D

14 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Knack was notable because they usually do punt their firstparty games over to PS Plus after a year or two.

Think it was 2018... Five years after launch. Although they had no pressure from GamePass at that point. Guess they will only do what is necessary and no more. Also PSN+ is competing with Games With Gold which hasn't been as generous since the end of the 360 era and the introduction of GamePass IMHO.

13 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Also PSN+ is competing wit Games With Gold which hasn't been as generous since the end of the 360 era and the introduction of GamePass IMHO.

You don't need the IMHO, a basic look at the calibre of games Microsoft think is acceptable to give away on GwG compared to what Sony have secured for PS+ isn't even a contest objectively. Not even the most diehard I bleed green true believer can argue with that factual statement.

Well if they want to incentivise all the holdouts with XBLG-only subscriptions to move to XGPU, putting good games on GwG would be entirely counter-productive.

5 minutes ago, Yoshimax said:

£70 for a single game 🤣

Indeed. I don't think I will ever buy any game on release for £70. That is on hell of a premium price. And looking at the second hand market they don't even hold up that well in price either probably because a lot of them get bought and get back to the market fairly quickly. (See Ratchet and Clank). However Switch games in contrast seem to hold value extremely well.

In the ultimate test of what console is better… we moved house last week and i can say that the Xbox packaging is vastly superior in quality and ease of packing away.

Ive only unboxed and hooked up one of them, lets just say i didnt need a screw driver….

4 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

In the ultimate test of what console is better… we moved house last week and i can say that the Xbox packaging is vastly superior in quality and ease of packing away.

Ive only unboxed and hooked up one of them, lets just say i didnt need a screw driver….

I can imagine the removal men looking at the van, back to the PS5, back to to van, "nah, mate, we just can't fit it in".

On 08/10/2021 at 14:02, MattyP said:

As far as I understand Sony have been offering streaming cloud gaming far longer than MS - they acquired Gaikai in 2012. Guess they just don't shout about it as much. And do we have any evidence to back up the "They don't have massive numbers like MS do" statement?

Who knows how they are internally. Maybe the BB infrastructure isn't yet in a state where they want to make a big push for game streaming? I mean MS's xCloud isn't without its issues - still get the odd bit of slowdown here and there but it is improving all the time. Not really had any experience of PS Now... although might do a free trial and see how it is.

Microsoft own Azure, which is 20% of the entire cloud computing market. Suffice to say, they have a hell of a lot higher capacity than Sony. Hell, Sony hosts PS Now on Azure.

On 10/10/2021 at 10:53, the_debaser said:

Most people who buy a console do so just for FIFA or GTA. They couldn’t care about a subscription service that offers 100s of games, most of which are shit. 

Game Pass now has over 30 million subscribers.

26 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Microsoft own Azure, which is 20% of the entire cloud computing market. Suffice to say, they have a hell of a lot higher capacity than Sony. Hell, Sony hosts PS Now on Azure.

Presumably, competition law would mean that they would have to offer Sony fair terms of use their network. I'm not sure Microsoft would be allowed to offer their own subsidiaries preferential rates, or a better service. That said, MS are clearly ahead of Sony here, even with Sony's huge head start (although I suspect Sony could catch up relatively quickly if they thought it was damaging their business). 

23 minutes ago, Isaac said:

So technically they have as much capacity (if they desire it) as the Xbox division of MS do? Guessing it all comes down to how much capacity Sony have bought for PS Now.

Don't use either streaming service yet. However at some point in the future - rather than spending significant amounts of money to upgrade my PC's GPU etc or buying a Xbox I will just Steam to access GamePass and Xbox content. 

Its going to be interesting to see how people start to consume games over the course of the upcoming decade. If streaming gets to be a viable option (as BB speeds increase and latency drops a bit) it maybe good enough for most people to enjoy over buying a box. At least we won't have all these silly console shortages! :D 

29 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Hell, Sony hosts PS Now on Azure.

They're using Azure but it's not entirely clear what for.  Probably PSnetwork stuff.  PSNow needs PS3s in racks.  MS aren't going to host that.

2 minutes ago, K said:

Presumably, competition law would mean that they would have to offer Sony fair terms of use their network. I'm not sure Microsoft would be allowed to offer their own subsidiaries preferential rates, or a better service. That said, MS are clearly ahead of Sony here, even with Sony's huge head start (although I suspect Sony could catch up relatively quickly if they thought it was damaging their business). 

As far as I understand Xbox have to buy services from the Azure division like any other "customer". Its not really in Azures interest to give preferential treatment guess its all negotiable. I expect it will be all down to volume. Either way though MS win.

8 hours ago, Isaac said:

Game Pass now has over 30 million subscribers.

Although apparently it’s missed it’s targets and is underperforming?

Quite surprised to read about it in today’s Hit Points:

https://hitpoints.substack.com/p/64-like-and-subscribe?r=9z8zd&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=

Yesterday Microsoft revealed that take-up in Xbox Game Pass has slowed significantly, with growth in the 12 months to June 30 hitting 37.48% against a target of 47.79%.

(no offence putting it in this thread @Nate Dogg III, I just don’t want to ruin the cosy bookclub vibes of the gamepass thread)

4 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

https://hitpoints.substack.com/p/64-like-and-subscribe?r=9z8zd&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=

(no offence putting it in this thread @Nate Dogg III, I just don’t want to ruin the cosy bookclub vibes of the gamepass thread)

Everyone has finished converting from Gold? :)

Having no first party releases during that time period can't have helped. I wonder if the targets were revised or not after Halo Infinite slipped a year? If not that's probably a huge factor right there.

32 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Underperforming in the context of 37% growth instead of 48% is still quite a lot of growth.

It tells me they were extremely bold in their SaaS growth projections. Series X ongoing supply shortages can't be helping either.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Having no first party releases during that time period can't have helped. I wonder if the targets were revised or not after Halo Infinite slipped a year? If not that's probably a huge factor right there.

Looks like they were revised yeah (again from Hit Points, apologies I don’t have the primary source):

This year’s targets were already heavily reined in — in Game Pass’ case, from 71% down to 48% — no doubt on the assumption that growth would slow as life returned to (sort of) normal.

But yeah he also points out the lack of 1st party not helping.

I imagine they‘ll have a strong Christmas with Forza and Halo, like a proper traditional console bundle in terms of the marketing, which is perhaps much easier to understand for the general public than upscaling-back-compatible-frame-rate boost etc etc.

“Buy this console/service to play these shiny new games” fits on the side of a bus much easier. 

Gamepass is turning into 8/10pass for me. And I ain’t got enough free  time to play 8/10s, no matter how many of them I get for free. 

The service is only worth it for launch day 9/10s. 

fingers crossed for halo and forza.