PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Console Warz R Srs Business!

rafaqat

i wonder what the ps5 is doing in standby that causes it to be 3 times slower.  Cold boot times are comparable though.  Are we going to see the superior ps5 SSD throughout only on certain scenarios?  Or maybe it’s an OS optimization they can make further down the line like Nintendo did for Wii U?

Edit: I didn’t start this thread. this is a post pulled out of another thread 

Maybe the quick startup from stand-by is why the X-box uses so much wattage in stand-by mode?

Also, the advantage of quick resume is it works from a cold boot, right? So I imagine not many people will be that bothered about shaving 10 seconds off the time that some hypothetical PS5 rival in another house somewhere is having to wait, if it keeps their own power bills down.

34 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Maybe the quick startup from stand-by is why the X-box uses so much wattage in stand-by mode?

Yeah, it feels likely that the Series X drawing 28w to the PS5's 1.5w in standby may have something to do with it.

Well, it was primarily aimed at being a place to put arguments comparing the two instead of them taking place in the individual threads for each console with the shit storms that inevitably result. The jury is still out on whether this is actually going to work as intended however but let's keep an open mind and maybe discuss in good faith? :hug:

1 hour ago, Talvalin said:

Don't remind me about loading games from tape. Seriously. I've almost purged that memory.

Oh man. And then games which loaded each level separately. Finish level 1, wait 10 minutes to load level 2. Die because games back then were merciless. Rewind the tape all the way to spend 15 minutes loading level 1 again. Kids these days just have no idea!

All that tech stuff is meaningless waffle, when it comes to games there is clearly only one next gen system at the moment no matter how much MS try and convince us all that it’s about playing all our old games again (yes, yes Demon’s Souls - the irony, etc)

29 minutes ago, Stanley said:

All that tech stuff is meaningless waffle, when it comes to games there is clearly only one next gen system at the moment no matter how much MS try and convince us all that it’s about playing all our old games again (yes, yes Demon’s Souls - the irony, etc)

I shouldn't have came in here. 

It's kind of nice that the technology has plateaued enough that the debates are about which console takes several seconds more than the other to boot up.

I doubt that any of us would notice the difference between the two consoles' performances in a blind test.

5 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Running a game that actually makes use of the hardware?

lulz.   But yeah.  Seems that the SSD speeds Sony were talking about are there and whatever MS have got is keeping up fine or there’s some serious optimizations still to be made. There’s a few other load times tests where ps5 comes out worse. But so far I think that’s for unpatched last gen games. 

will be interesting if it pulls ahead on next gen third party stuff.  Would assume so. 

4 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

The embargo in 3rd party titles are really annoying. I am thinking about buying AC Valhalla but can't decide on platform. 

I need an AC Valhalla XSX vs PS5 digital foundry deep dive. 

with extreme zoom in on artefacts that you probably wouldn’t notice when actually playing :)

Just now, rafaqat said:

lulz.   But yeah.  Seems that the SSD speeds Sony were talking about are there and whatever MS have got is keeping up fine or there’s some serious optimizations still to be made. There’s a few other load times tests where ps5 comes out worse. But so far I think that’s for unpatched last gen games. 

will be interesting if it pulls ahead on next gen third party stuff.  Would assume so. 

Two things here for me. When digital foundry did the external SSD comparison with the internal on the XSX, the loading times were within 1 or 2 seconds at most and look at the speed difference between the internal and external drives used its vast. This makes me wonder what the real life PS5 SSD speed advantage will actually be over the XSX. 

Second thing is Digital Foundry also mentioned the way the PS5 handles some of the backwards compatibility something a long the lines of it runs like the PS4 pro and may limit the GPU to the same performance, but it has full access to the CPU. I may be getting some of that wrong. But it could explain the loading time differences we are seeing.