PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Console Warz R Srs Busines!

Just now, Pockets said:

Some of the same middle-aged men in here are also in the politics threads shaking their heads at the state of the world and wondering how it all happened. 

Yeah mate, having a favourite games console and ribbing the other 'side' is definitely a reflection on the wider world :lol:

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

Like gimped memory configuration/management, it's a Microsoft thing unfortunately.

Been reading into that if you are into techie things:-

Interesting design choice and probably a bit of cost saving I'm guessing without a massive impact on performance. As with everything with consoles compromises have to be made to keep costs in check. Staggering what both Sony and MS have delivered for that £450 price tag TBH! (or £350 if you buy the digital PS5 of course)

30 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I'm reasonably sure that's not the case. I mean there's settings like black levels and you can maybe fiddle with the HDR curve a little if the fancy takes you but that's a different thing - there is only one way to decode h.264/h.265 - there's no room for artistic interpretation. You can decode the same source using a computer, a dedicated player and a games console and, and the basis your settings are identical (or fundamentally broken like the Series X currently), there won't be a pixel out of place. 

I'm not disagreeing with that at all. All the pixels will be in the right place. But there is space (as I think the Series X shows, but I have seen it - as I say - in my professional life also) for decoding software to do exactly the sorts of things you also mention (like black levels and colour space and so on) and look different.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Because I have a PC and a VR headset... :D Xbox + Gamepass for everything else. 

Not spent more than £35 on a PC VR game so far.. Even Half Life : Alyx* was £30 in a sale. 

* Shame Sony kind of dropped the PSVR this gen. Would have been nice to see some more VR content. Might get a PS5 version possibly at some point. GT7 in VR would have been quite something. 

I wouldn’t say they’ve dropped it, for its install base it’s got a decent software line up, with recent titles like Star Wars Squadrons and titles like Hitman 3 having support in 2021.

The eventual PS5 VR headset is going to be a big jump in quality, we’ve had hints from their patent applications. Having it back compatible with the existing PSVR catalogue with some patches to boost resolution & frame rate will be really cool.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Shame Sony kind of dropped the PSVR this gen. Would have been nice to see some more VR content.

Have they? I don’t see why that still can’t happen, PSVR games can sell to both PS4 and PS5 owners so I’d have thought they’d still be viable, assuming they sold well enough previously.

4 minutes ago, KriessG said:

The eventual PS5 VR headset is going to be a big jump in quality, we’ve had hints from their patent applications. Having it back compatible with the existing PSVR catalogue with some patches to boost resolution & frame rate will be really cool.

Yes "dropped it" as in moved focus away from it. Should have been more clear! Guessing they have to concentrate on building the PS5 userbase. Will be looking forward to seeing where Sony take this... they made so much progress with PSVR. 

The results in that video are pretty consistent with all the other loading time comparisons we've seen so far. Basically, in next-gen optimised games PS5 has a slight loading advantage (although nowhere near what I think some people were claiming the differences in loading would be). In BC games Series X has the slight advantage. Theory is that this is because MS allows games to use more of the console's power in BC mode than Sony does. 

Of course all these loading comparisons are pretty moot once you bring Quick Resume into the equation. Incomplete though it is at the moment, it basically renders all these 'how quickly can you boot a save game from scratch?' videos pretty pointless, at least from a Series X/S perspective.

On 18/11/2020 at 23:23, MattyP said:

Yes "dropped it" as in moved focus away from it. Should have been more clear! Guessing they have to concentrate on building the PS5 userbase. Will be looking forward to seeing where Sony take this... they made so much progress with PSVR. 

You could tell how much they cared about VR when they had their first big event after the launch of PSVR spent more time on showing Knack 2 than all their upcoming VR games put together.

27 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Fortnite has Raytracing Enabled on PS5 and a very very solid 60fps even when builds are going crazy, it does not on Xbox Series X and it has a very unsolid 60fps.

PS5 is definitely the power king here.

You sure, asked my mate and he doesn’t have RT on his - well no RT in the building windows at least!

(does your uncle work for epic)

I’m not saying Gooner’s wrong, but wouldn’t it be absolutely mad if MS let one of their studios do a better update of the game on their rival’s console?

Or is this just another one of those things written in his pad?

8 hours ago, gooner4life said:

100% although only tested in creative.

Ok, there is no mention of this anywhere on the internet outside your house and people I know are saying it’s 100% not in the BR - is it the non RDNA2 RT ;) 

Anyway another numbers win for Sony..... the PS5 has a much higher db number, at least it’s not PS4 pro loud (or anything near it) but the coil whine and louder fan seem to be across the board and due to design choices.

5 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

That would require them to actually bother releasing a game.

I don’t play Minecraft, so I’m not up on what’s been released. Are you saying it’s just running in backwards compatibility mode on PS5? That wouldn’t add in ray-tracing, would it?

Opps.

We analysed the HDMI 2.1 output from the Sony PS5 (Playstation 5) console, and found that the maximum bandwidth it can deliver either at 4K@60Hz or 4K@120Hz is currently 32Gbps, which is lower than the 40Gbps HDMI 2.1 bandwidth on the Xbox Series X.

14 minutes ago, JPL said:

I don’t play Minecraft, so I’m not up on what’s been released. Are you saying it’s just running in backwards compatibility mode on PS5? That wouldn’t add in ray-tracing, would it?

I was joking because Microsoft just released a console but didn’t even bother making any games for it. Pay attention, boy!

56 minutes ago, yashiro said:

There's no Ray Tracing.

There definitely IS on the PS5 in creative, I still haven't played a game of BR, go to Creative and your island has a mirror floor, it's definitely got Raytracing enabled there, then go to the creative hub and load the RTX Deathrun (creative code 2623-0157-9251), it's got an RTX 3080 modelled in the creative map and it has 3 different mini games, one is raytraced reflections, one is global illumination and one is some other shit i cant remember right now.

• Talvalin changed the title to PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Console Warz R Srs Busines!