PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Console Warz R Srs Busines!

38 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Well, that's why I'm asking the question. I'm getting a PS5 at some point anyway, seeing as I've missed out on the last 3 or 4 years of PS4 games, but I'm struggling to see what the Series X is offering that's worth 400 quid. And that's coming from someone who bought 3 separate versions of the 360. What are the selling points?

For the time being, it's like a PC upgrade for your existing library. Microsoft's backwards compatibility is so good that many existing titles now run better than full-priced remasters from other publishers. It also carries the promise of having a huge exclusive catalogue in the near future thanks to Game Pass, and it's also highly likely to run most third party games better (many of which will also appear on Game Pass), making it future-proof and cost-effective.

If you've been buying games digitally on Live since the 360-era, which many of us have, then it's a no-brainer to stick with the Xbox platform imo. I have a huge pile of shame, I'm not short of things to play on it between now and Cyberpunk.

On 10/11/2020 at 18:32, Keiths_Dad said:

I didn't want to shit up the Xbox thread by asking this, but have they really launched a new console (and a half console) with no games that I can't already play on my base Xbox One? What's the point?

Whats the point of a new phone? A new car? new anything? Many things we buy are simply because "its better than the one I had before". So for you  no point because you don't see any value in it. For many they just want something better because well its there. Or they have a shiny new TV and want to take advantage of it by having something that uses its new features. You could use the exact same argument with PC graphics cards really and PC upgrades. 

Me? I just lurve new technology. A series x and GamePass is gaming heaven for me. All my old stuff works too which is a massive bonus. And well I prefer Xbox consoles. Simple.  Also it was much cheaper than buying a new GPU for my PC and gives a much better gaming experience than the GPU in my PC.  Worth every penny to me! :)

On 09/11/2020 at 14:58, rafaqat said:

Heh.  I was thinking the same last night.  I like Sony games and I own Sony consoles but I seem to have a weird dislike of some of the way they do things.   Not sure if that's a hangover of them thrashing Nintendo when N64 came out or just that they're the leader and I like me an underdog.

:)

I had a huge dislike for both Sony and MS entering the gaming market. Both companies are not really game companies one an electronics company and the other a software company. 

Never sided with either Nintendo or Sega always loved both of the output from these companies... both are gaming companies at their core. Sega made AWESOME arcade machines that used to dazzle me with their technology - hydraulic machines etc. Such a high-tech gaming company. Nintendo for their gaming craftmanship and their almost playful innocence of the games they make, fun and challenging and embraces all age groups. 

Never really sure if Sony and MS have been a good thing for console gaming. In general they have taken things forward I guess. My preference out of these two though has been Microsoft. I was initially very skeptical about a company that made Windows 95 entering into the console industry. But then I put my reservations aside and bought an Xbox (whilst initially buying a PS2. Mainly just to try Halo. That was it. Loved it. The controller, hardware, the fact that it had Sega games.  Oh and Project Gotham Racing :) Finally got hooked into Xbox Live with PGR2. It felt like a natural successor to probably my most favourite console of all time the Dreamcast. 

Not to say I dislike Sony. Just never really got on with their controllers, hated having to buy memory cards for the PS2 etc. Some of the best games I have experienced have been released onto Sony platforms. 

Anyway. If there was still a Sega console I'd buy that. :D There isn't so next best for me is the Xbox. 

So over to Sony Vs MS.

Xbox wins on the packaging category hands down. Loved the experience of opening my Xbox earlier in the week. Sony it's just business as normal :D 

30 minutes ago, joemul said:

Quick Q: if I have a perfectly fine Official gold headset is there any benefit to upgrading to the new official ps5 headset?

That’s what I’ll be doing. I believe they can handle the new Tempest tech / 3D audio just fine, provided you use them via Bluetooth with the dongle. An IGN review of the new headset seemed to suggest 3D audio doesn’t work if you’re just wiring headsets through the pad.

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

That’s what I’ll be doing. I believe they can handle the new Tempest tech / 3D audio just fine, provided you use them via Bluetooth with the dongle. An IGN review of the new headset seemed to suggest 3D audio doesn’t work if you’re just wiring headsets through the pad.

I thought the 3D audio is software based and absolutely works through any old headphones connected to the controller?

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

IGN have an article on the website about how to use 3D audio which says you can plug headphones into the controller to get it. I’ve also heard the creative director of Demon’s Souls say you can do just that. I really hope that is true as that’s how I do most of my PS4 gaming now so I’d love to continue with what I’ve got. I think IGN are maybe just being evasive on the subject (including on this week’s Beyond podcast) as they are currently sponsored by SteelSeries. 

8 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

IGN have an article on the website about how to use 3D audio which says you can plug headphones into the controller to get it. I’ve also heard the creative director of Demon’s Souls say you can do just that. I really hope that is true as that’s how I do most of my PS4 gaming now so I’d love to continue with what I’ve got. I think IGN are maybe just being evasive on the subject (including on this week’s Beyond podcast) as they are currently sponsored by SteelSeries. 

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/

Seems to work with plug in controllers. 

9 hours ago, Darwock said:

It’s been 22 years since Sega last made a console, I think most of the world has accepted that Sony and Microsoft are valid contenders in the video games market by now.

Oh I accept that. Still would buy a Sega console if they were still around though :D At least we have the Xbox which is largely influenced by what Sega did.

7 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Not that I can find (after a very quick google) Where did you read that? 

It is tv/ av amps and headphones using optical splitters it doesn’t work with at the moment - it thought I read or saw on YouTube that 3.5mm jack wasn’t supported yet but must have been mistaken!

3D audio will work with a very broad range of headphones and headsets, but there are some limitations: your headset will need to plug into the PS5 via USB or into your DualSense controller with a 3.5mm audio jack.

14 hours ago, yashiro said:

As long as they don't limit the S to shite 30fps versions of games, then it's all good.

When we start to get proper next gen exclusives, something has to give. Multiplatform software may potentially be hamstrung by the Xbox series S.

10 hours ago, AI said:

Already started with Assassin's Creed Valhalla hasn't it?

That seems to be a silly developer decision - prioritizing 1440p at 30fps instead of a better performance mode at 1080p. Still yeah its bound to happen.

The PS5 controller is what's winning me over. 

24 minutes ago, Chopsocky said:

That seems to be a silly developer decision -

Call it silly all you want, you can bet all the whisky in Scotland that they won't be the first devs to make that decision, and that future devs will continue to do so throughput this coming generation, or until the S goes the way of the 360 Arcade.

It's interesting that the Xbox seems to have a clear lead in these games during cutscenes and then as soon as it drops into Gameplay the PS5 pushes a little advantage, can't really make sense of it from a hardware point of view, the Xbox API's are clearly struggling with something.

• Talvalin changed the title to PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X - Console Warz R Srs Busines!