Codemasters - A New Challenger Emerges?

It’s amazing they’ve mangled to stay independent for so long but I guess the move to next gen and the increasing costs of games development makes having a rich owner appealing. There isn’t much completion when it comes to DIRT and DiRT Rally and I assume the F1 and recently acquired WRC license will have a decent return on investment, just have to hope T2 keep the studio intact and don’t do an EA to them.

This is sad. Codemasters survived almost going bust a whole bunch of times, they outlived almost every other games company in the world. Although some other UK developers have risen to approach it in size over the last gen (frontier, sumo etc..), they are the actual last of our historical publishers. 

Being bought out almost never works out. Even more so when it comes to publishers. They will get asset stripped, lose their identity and eventually get closed down when the existing brands fade. Following in the footsteps of gremlin, ocean, psygnosis, eidos etc.. 

The deal is almost an all share thing with take2 putting very little money on the table for them despite being cash rich. If I was on their board that would scare me on off. I wonder if anyone will counter bid. 

23 minutes ago, f2097 said:

This is sad. Codemasters survived almost going bust a whole bunch of times, they outlived almost every other games company in the world. Although some other UK developers have risen to approach it in size over the last gen (frontier, sumo etc..), they are the actual last of our historical publishers. 

Being bought out almost never works out. Even more so when it comes to publishers. They will get asset stripped, lose their identity and eventually get closed down when the existing brands fade. Following in the footsteps of gremlin, ocean, psygnosis, eidos etc.. 

The deal is almost an all share thing with take2 putting very little money on the table for them despite being cash rich. If I was on their board that would scare me on off. I wonder if anyone will counter bid. 

Who else wants a stable of driving studios? Microsoft have two, Sony have the one they care about. That leaves Amazon and Google, and they’re both “we’ll build it and they will come” operations.

25 minutes ago, footle said:

Who else wants a stable of driving studios? Microsoft have two, Sony have the one they care about. That leaves Amazon and Google, and they’re both “we’ll build it and they will come” operations.

Tencent? 

I am a little surprised at how much Codemasters are worth when you look at their release schedule over the last few years. 

22 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Has to be approved by a majority (think it’s 75%) of the shareholders.

"Hi would you like to swap your shareholding in Codemasters, at a premium, for shares in Take "GTA Online Prints Money" 2?"

17 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Surely if you thought that way, you’d be holding Take 2 stock as opposed to Codemasters.

It's the premium on top of the existing share price that differs from that scenario.

Hopefully they will give up the F1 license and concentrate on their other ip. It’s gasping for someone else to have a go at it with a fresh perspective. Even if it takes 3 years for someone else to build a game from the ground up, I’d take that over another increment with the same engine and handling.

50 minutes ago, mexos said:

Hopefully they will give up the F1 license and concentrate on their other ip. It’s gasping for someone else to have a go at it with a fresh perspective. Even if it takes 3 years for someone else to build a game from the ground up, I’d take that over another increment with the same engine and handling.

image.png.552425cf05a548e6e79ad1231aaa2db3.png

Terrible, terrible news. I can't imagine a worse company to buy Codemasters besides maybe EA. 

Goodbye F1 2021

Goodbye Dirt Rally 3

Codemasters just acquired the WRC license from 2023 onwards. What will happen now? 

They will be under the 2k Brand..... so NBA2k2 MTX galore to all our favorite racing franchises (Remember, NBA is also a licensed product so F1 or WRC are not safe from this).

I hope they lose the F1 license to the studio behind Assetto Corsa Competizione. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • footle changed the title to Codemasters - A New Challenger Emerges?