Edge #352 | Xbox Series X/S

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Because it’s an antiquated relic from a time where video game mags were relevant because they were the defacto place for previews/reviews. Mags have gone under all over the shop and sales are dropping constantly, adhering to a framework that’s over 30yrs old hasn’t been working that’s why. If they stay as they are the only guarantee will be a slow death. 

Its declining readership is because it’s a print magazine. Not because of previews. 

It always makes me laugh when people suggest that all something needs to do to survive is completely change to something else. Well then what’s the point? I don’t like Edge because of its logo. It’s not a football team I want to see succeed. 

I like it because it has previews and reviews. 

If it changes to something else then I couldn’t really give a toss if it survives or not.

8 hours ago, Isaac said:

There are so many fantastic video journalists on YouTube now that are so much more than "hey guys!". 

That's the main issue for me - I'm subscribed but I'm cancelling in the next month or two because they are just stacking up, barely being read. 

I would rather watch a video for a deep dive than read an article in Edge.

Just a shame that both forms of journalism/reporting can't coexist and one of them (print) apparently has to die. Having a skim or deep read of an article is a totally different experience to watching or listening to a Youtube video. With a video you're committing to sitting through the entire thing as well as tolerating all the ads/sponsorship/tracking bullshit that go with it, there's a million things distracting you and it's not as relaxing or deep as an experience as reading from a mag. The internet is annoying now and is getting worse. With a mag it's rare to read it cover to cover starting at page one, with Edge you might you have a flick through making mental notes of the important things (the scores obv.) and then maybe read the letters followed by Continue/Quit, then the news and reviews and saving the articles for a train journey or nice big dump. It's at your own pace, flicking around the pages, which is why digital mags don't work. Mags aren't a start on page one and finish on page 100 format. They're designed to be almost random and read in whatever order you want. Massive part of their appeal. Reading from the internet I always feel kind of rushed and that I need to be clicking on the next thing or responding to something.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Its declining readership is because it’s a print magazine. Not because of previews. 

It always makes me laugh when people suggest that all something needs to do to survive is completely change to something else. Well then what’s the point? I don’t like Edge because of its logo. It’s not a football team I want to see succeed. 

If it changes to something else then I couldn’t really give a toss if it survives or not.

Declining readership is because few people see value in a traditional video game magazines. That you like it doesn’t solve that people either don’t or don’t feel it’s worth the cost. It either sticks to the format that’s a proven financial dead end or try and revitalise themselves. Nothing laughable about that. I’m sure many of a certain demographic like the format but it’s increasingly unprofitable. 

Personally I’d rather see them try something new. My favourite issue of theirs in ages was when they moved away from their traditional format during lockdown. I wonder if that did anything for sales that month. Further I’d phase out print and move towards interactive digital content. I’d rather they look at a game from different cultural aspects than just to score. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Just a shame that both forms of journalism/reporting can't coexist and one of them (print) apparently has to die. Having a skim or deep read of an article is a totally different experience to watching or listening to a Youtube video. With a video you're committing to sitting through the entire thing as well as tolerating all the ads/sponsorship/tracking bullshit that go with it, there's a million things distracting you and it's not as relaxing or deep as an experience as reading from a mag. The internet is annoying now and is getting worse. With a mag it's rare to read it cover to cover starting at page one, with Edge you might you have a flick through making mental notes of the important things (the scores obv.) and then maybe read the letters followed by Continue/Quit, then the news and reviews and saving the articles for a train journey or nice big dump. It's at your own pace, flicking around the pages, which is why digital mags don't work. Mags aren't a start on page one and finish on page 100 format. They're designed to be almost random and read in whatever order you want. Massive part of their appeal. Reading from the internet I always feel kind of rushed and that I need to be clicking on the next thing or responding to something.

Found it works quite well on an iPad for example But get where you are coming from. Easy to flick through a magazine and the physical connection with the thing is deeper. 

Problem is though not with the generation that "grew up" with paper magazines its the following generations and those after. Going forward print is largely irrelevant to children these days. Never seen my sons read a paper based anything these days. At all. Even there homework is Google Classroom based and they have Chromebooks. :(

Not sure where it's all going TBH but guess its "progress". And I'm getting old :blah::D Although to be fair did clear out most of my Edges a few years back and rarely buy books these days other than from charity shops where its kinder to the environment to recycle books.

22 minutes ago, Super Stop and Shop said:

Edge's real problem is that they've spent the last 27 years trying to make videogames culturally relevant when they could have spent that time and energy talking about locomotives.  The future isn't digital. It's another print magazine about trains. 

Best suggestion I've heard so far, will suggest this when we're off deadline. 

None of the Youtube journalists (presenters?) are anywhere near as compelling or interesting as the likes of Biffo (when he was good) or Rev Stu or have anything like the editorial consistency of, say, Amiga Power. I thought I liked Skill Up but decided that he's a smarmy little over-privileged tosser the other day. I think a lot of it is the sound of their voices. Magazines are silent but with Youtube you have to tolerate their accents, slow talking speed, annoying inflections, and that really gets in the way of the actual reviews or whatever. Giant Bomb, Easy Allies, I can't stand them for more than a minute.

Limmy is really good, mind. I just remembered him.

32 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Found it works quite well on an iPad for example But get where you are coming from. Easy to flick through a magazine and the physical connection with the thing is deeper.

Also the iPad is worth a grand and delicate  and a mag is a few quid and indestructible. That alone completely alters your relationship with it and how you handle it. No one has ever swatted a fly with a rolled up iPad.

33 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Also the iPad is worth a grand and delicate  and a mag is a few quid and indestructible. That alone completely alters your relationship with it and how you handle it. No one has ever swatted a fly with a rolled up iPad.

If they've rolled up an issue of Edge they should be put in prison.

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I think they'll eventually change because there is no real market for a print magazine doing previews and reviews in the same way it's been done since the 1980s.

Edge deserves to thrive for the next few decades, but it I think it needs to figure out what its approach is going to be. Because no matter how much you love what it does right now there are probably 2 or 3 who don't and the market won't support it forever. And Future are cheap bastards for the most part so they could pull the plug one day. I don't think the prestige of having the most high-end games mag means what it once did. That halo (Halo lol) effect is diminished every year. 

On 17/11/2020 at 17:55, Uncle Nasty said:

None of the Youtube journalists (presenters?) are anywhere near as compelling or interesting as the likes of Biffo (when he was good) or Rev Stu or have anything like the editorial consistency of, say, Amiga Power. I thought I liked Skill Up but decided that he's a smarmy little over-privileged tosser the other day. I think a lot of it is the sound of their voices. Magazines are silent but with Youtube you have to tolerate their accents, slow talking speed, annoying inflections, and that really gets in the way of the actual reviews or whatever. Giant Bomb, Easy Allies, I can't stand them for more than a minute.

Limmy is really good, mind. I just remembered him.

Christ, you go on about annoying accents and then praise Limmy??? 

On 17/11/2020 at 17:31, Super Stop and Shop said:

Edge's real problem is that they've spent the last 27 years trying to make videogames culturally relevant when they could have spent that time and energy talking about locomotives.  The future isn't digital. It's another print magazine about trains. 

On 17/11/2020 at 17:55, Rudderless said:

Best suggestion I've heard so far, will suggest this when we're off deadline. 

What about the elephants, though?

On 11/11/2020 at 10:27, BadgerFarmer said:

On 11/11/2020 at 12:52, Super Stop and Shop said:

They've now lost two editors and one associate editor in the span of year. Not sure if that's what you meant by "massive shakeup". The ship seems rudderless for now, but maybe they have somebody lined up for the editorial role? Chris Schilling, perhaps? But the job seems extra difficult, given they have like no staff and need to deliver a magazine monthly -- maybe they should consider a quarterly tome? On the job difficulty scale of "how hard is it to do my job as an employee of the Trump administration"  it seems like it would be at least a five.  Fauci probably has them beat. 

Yeah, there's something more here, and the fact they're offering it outside the company suggests that too.

If I had to guess, they want the editor to be full time for a shitsack salary whereas if you're say, Chris you can freelance too. Jen leaving this soon (3 years at Edge yes but she's been editor for 6 months and it's supposed to be the dream job) is a terrible sign in general.

On 17/11/2020 at 00:01, footle said:

The advert suggests that wfh is the new normal, which is one way to deal with the salary. Go and live in a Scottish Croft and...

I know Strider of this parrish has mentioned WFH is permanent for him at Retro Gamer.

I can see the argument for dropping previews since they don't usually need any Quality Analysis, more just "look at these new screens and info" which the internet can do a much better job of. Keep the reviews, they're grand, but maybe ditch previews altogether in favour of more Extended Plays and stuff? I dunno. I'm not a scientist.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Just remembered Future don’t have the Kotaku license anymore. Did they pivot to any other website for their online content? 

GamesRadar. (Or "GamesRadar+" as it's been since the comics site Newsarama was merged into it.)