Edge #352 | Xbox Series X/S

2 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

It's really weird isn't it?  I bought Edge from when I was 15 until mid-30's.  Huge part of my gaming and toilet routine.

Very. I've got hundred in the loft that I'll never part with but no doubt my daughter will bin when I die.

For now if I want to read anything from it it's on the Readly app.

19 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Very. I've got hundred in the loft that I'll never part with but no doubt my daughter will bin when I die.

For now if I want to read anything from it it's on the Readly app.

I cleared out most of the back issues a couple of years ago.  Just a solitary box of issues 1-13 in the loft. 

25 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I cleared out most of the back issues a couple of years ago.  Just a solitary box of issues 1-13 in the loft. 

Same (though have kept milestone issues, like 100, etc). Felt quite liberating!

2 minutes ago, Fondue said:

Same (though have kept milestone issues, like 100, etc). Felt quite liberating!

I threw out hundreds of beloved mags many years ago. It was stressful at the time but also liberating. I only kept Edge because I was still buying it. The discarded ones can all be read digitally anyway if I really want to.

I think it’s me getting older but my interest in their news/feature articles had narrowed to the point I’d have a flick through for 10 mins, put it down and then not read it again until the next issue. I never read any of the columns or letters. The review scores don’t have anywhere like the same weight they did in the 90’s/2000s. I just tend to read reviews from the particular journalists I like.

Maybe it needs a massive shakeup? How much can they change though really? Maybe they could do YouTube videos alongside the magazine involving Patreon? Bring the reader closer to the writer? I feel so distant from the writing.

I have definitely made a switch to watching YouTube videos for reviews/features e.g. NintendoLife, Digital Foundry. I can watch trailers etc and make up my own mind. 

I just think I’ve lost interest in a lot of the subjects around video games and don’t know whether I’ll keep the subscription going.

They've now lost two editors and one associate editor in the span of year. Not sure if that's what you meant by "massive shakeup". The ship seems rudderless for now, but maybe they have somebody lined up for the editorial role? Chris Schilling, perhaps? But the job seems extra difficult, given they have like no staff and need to deliver a magazine monthly -- maybe they should consider a quarterly tome? On the job difficulty scale of "how hard is it to do my job as an employee of the Trump administration"  it seems like it would be at least a five.  Fauci probably has them beat. 

What is the Death Stranding time extend like? I remember Edge’s coverage of it at the time was really, really weird. Was in the vein that it was some kind of grand folly that was almost unplayable.

It was a line that some other big outlets went with as well, but which rather fell apart when people started playing the game and it became clear that although obviously not for everyone, it did resonate very strongly

with an audience and that even if it didn’t work for you it was certainly not the total disaster that some portrayed it as. 

The Time Extend is basically reconsidering how the game fits, thematically, with the current pandemic situation. It's not a reassessment of the review. And honestly "grand folly" is the term that I think is most appropriate for it, even if it was my favourite game released that year. ;) 

I wonder if Chris Schilling is going to be the next editor. But I'm equally curious about where Jen Simpkins is going next - from her Twitter it's obvious that this wasn't a case of her being done with Edge, but her being offered an opportunity she simply couldn't turn down.

32 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Freelancing for Forbes these days.

Another vote for Prankster 101 here. 

I hope they still make it to #360. 354 would be such a dreary number to end on. My OCD would never be at ease again.

Freelancing for Forbes is a very in-joke journalist insult.

it makes me sad but Edge’s time seems to be long gone. I don’t think the choice of editor now is going to make much difference. And frankly, with the money that Future pays, you’d need to be independently wealthy to afford to take the job and

live on their salaries. Perhaps more importantly, unless the wfh revolution changes things, it will always be hard for Future to attract established/talented people to relocate from London to Bath. It’s a pretty little city and all but the cost of living is disproportionately high for what’s there. You have London costs but with regional journalism salaries. That’s a lethal combination in a struggling (or dying) media.

I’ve spent my entire career in print media so it sucks to see. Good luck to Jen, although my suspicion is the new job isn’t in print of course.

I too was a long time Edge reader. Digitally subbed last year and it has just finished. Bought this months and will sadly be my last. I skim read it. 

Gaming and reporting on its happenings has changed. The internet now just allows me to form my own opinion about games, chatting on forums about experiences in games, the hardware etc. Its all online. Used to enjoy sections on new hardware where they effectively did a teardown of a new machine or some tech and had plenty of technical detail about it All gone.

Anyhow still got a few key issues. The first one I bought (Issue 3). The 100th issue and some specials including the three "files" they did covering the early years of the mag. The rest I binned a couple of years ago when moving house - probably around 150+ issues. 

Feel a bit sad really because through Edge it took me to their forum - which of course the remains of eventually became this forum. Not sure how long it has left but I won't be subscribing again after the issue. Will always miss that time of the month when you'd hear a thud of the magazine near the front door. Grab a coffee and settle down for a read. Then add it to a pile of previous issues because I could not bear to recycle it.

Been great though. 27 years of greatness for me. The change from '93 to now has been indescribable. :) 

Well conversely I love it and enjoy it much more than some “hey guys!” YouTuber or press release hosting servic- sorry: Video Games Website (although websites seem fucked now too)

I hope it carries on for much longer as I appreciate the cultivation, opinion and overall insight on the industry that I’m just not seeing done anywhere else online. 

But I’m not ignorant to the struggles of print.

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

Freelancing for Forbes is a very in-joke journalist insult.

it makes me sad but Edge’s time seems to be long gone. I don’t think the choice of editor now is going to make much difference. And frankly, with the money that Future pays, you’d need to be independently wealthy to afford to take the job and

live on their salaries. Perhaps more importantly, unless the wfh revolution changes things, it will always be hard for Future to attract established/talented people to relocate from London to Bath. It’s a pretty little city and all but the cost of living is disproportionately high for what’s there. You have London costs but with regional journalism salaries. That’s a lethal combination in a struggling (or dying) media.

I’ve spent my entire career in print media so it sucks to see. Good luck to Jen, although my suspicion is the new job isn’t in print of course.

The advert suggests that wfh is the new normal, which is one way to deal with the salary. Go and live in a Scottish Croft and...