The Dark Pictures Anthology – Little Hope

FozZ

The second release in The Dark Pictures Anthology came out yesterday, following Man of Medan last year.

I've put maybe 3 hours into this so far, and really enjoying it. I found Man of Medan very disappointing, especially after loving Until Dawn - which thankfully Little Hope feels closer to.

The voice acting has impressed for the most part (you'll always get some lines that don't sound like real reactions to the choice you've made), and the story is going in some interesting directions. Playing on PC this time around (PS4 for UD/Mom) and its a great looking game that's definitely taxing my 1070 in places. 

It can be picked up for £20 - £25, so if you're looking for some Halloween spoopy fun, consider giving it a shot. 

Until dawn is one of my games of the generation. I actually enjoyed man of Medan too. The character development and writing was below their previous best, but was perfectly fine for what it was. The setting was fun and it didn't outstay it's welcome. 

Looking forward to getting this. Maybe a bit sad that it's not next gen or switch. 

• 2 months later...

Bumping this because my other half and I played this over two nights and really enjoyed it. It's a far, far better game than Man of Medan and if I'm being honest I probably preferred it to Until Dawn. It's a real shame it seems to have passed so many by. It had a proper old school Silent Hill vibe in a couple of places. 

• 1 month later...

Nah, it was just as rubbish.. Story was bobbins, the way the characters interact is terrible, the choices some of the characters make were baffling, and me and my Mrs figured out what was going on within the opening hour. 

It also went on for about twice as long as it should have. 

Until Dawn was a fluke. 

Until Dawn had the benefit of longer in the oven. It was meant to be a PS3 game. Everything else in this genre they have done was either made in under a year or alongside three other projects they were making at the same time spreading themselves too thin.

Anyway I'm nearly done with Little Hope, I've found it tougher going than their other games. I think it definitely is a better game than Man of Medan but I have enjoyed it less.

My biggest annoyance is how unlikeable the characters are. It is mainly from the script being so bad. There isn't much humour or charm to it which is a shame. Until Dawn was pretty perfectly balanced. The game engine and the idea is great I just wish these were more interesting stories.

• 1 year later...

Just finished The Dark Pictures Anthology Silent Hill Little Hope on PS+ Extra. As someone who felt Man of Medan was a huge letdown I would have said that this was a big improvement. Then I got to the ending (and I believe I probably got the best one) and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game shit the bed so much in its closing moments. I actually wish they’d just played this as a straightforward spooky story instead of tacking on the laziest twist imaginable.

I think the bizarre pacing of the Dark Anthology games makes more sense when you remember that they’re designed with actual co-op in mind. I played Man of Medan with a mate and quite enjoyed it despite the non-existant plot, but when playing Little Hope on my own it felt about twice as long as it should have been, and bizarrely repetitious.

But then it made sense; in SP you’re playing through every single scenario one after the other when at least a third of them are designed to be played simultaneously, and potentially not seen at all. Making co-op the focus is a grand ambition because I do think this type of game really shines with an audience, but it must be unfathomably difficult to design around and the single player experience has definitely suffered as a result. 

After quite enjoying Man of Medan - I just played through this one, and I really liked it as well! So far I think the criticisms of these not being up to par with Until Dawn are perfectly valid, but I'm really liking these bite sized stories. They are like episodes of The Twilight Zone with a bit of gore thrown in. 

I know this one has copped a lot of flack for the ending, but again it didn't really bother me at all - I didn't mind the twist as such, the only thing was the abruptness of it. There wasn't really a grand, gradual reveal it was just... over. 🤔

Still, I enjoyed the story - just like Man of Medan it kept me engaged all the way to the end. I kept everyone alive too, as I did in Man of Medan - guess I've just been lucky? On to House of Ashes! 😀

• 1 month later...

I loved Until Dawn and liked Man Of Medan. Today I played through Little Hope and didn’t enjoy it much sadly. I did like the story, including the ending, which capital-G Gamerz seem to think is awful by the sound of it, but it worked for me. It’s the twist from

Spoiler

Identity (2003)

only unlike when I watched that I didn’t see it coming despite some big clues throughout. However there were too many little niggling issues in most respects on a mechanical and logical level. 

Most annoying is that heartbeat QTE which I managed to fail every single time. I’ve played the drums for 30 years and have more or less perfect timekeeping, and my TV/AV receiver/PS5 is in more or less perfect sync, within a few milliseconds. But I just couldn’t seem to hit these. Bizarre. 

Anyways I’ve heard the next one is better so I’ll definitely pick it up on the cheap and have a bash.