Jump to content

The official can AMD finally deliver a competitive GPU thread


Recommended Posts

I do think DirectML will be adopted as the industry standard, with DLSS being pushed in sponsored titles and as one of those 'nice to have' options in good PC ports like PhysX and SMAA. It'll just depend on how hard NVidia pushes the gaming market now that AMD's PC cards are not complete duff and feature in every console box.

 

I'm still happy I got a 3080, mind. Not because of performance, but just because it's actually in my computer and not in a bot's shopping basket or still being fabbed because of covid/paper launches. 

 

The 6800XT results looks positive, just hope everyone who wants one can pick it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Siri said:

I do think DirectML will be adopted as the industry standard

DirectML is just a machine learning API, it isn't going to do anything on its own. We just need AMD to build and support a competitor to Nvidia's AI based scheme, from scratch, without Nvidia's AI expertise or specialised machine learning hardware and then continue to support it and not drop it when nobody picks it up as AMD's support is shit and they expect third parties to do all the work.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, iwan_canobi said:

Had a speculative look at launch time and Scan appeared to have a few, starting at £590 for the 6800. Didn't seem to be a 'add to basket' though then they were gone again after a few minutes. Happy with my 3070 purchase anyway.

 

383AE996.thumb.PNG.2ca1f8df1adf3ec4beb806462b3ee6ae.PNG

:lol:

 

That is the 3070 equivalent, right? It would have to be pretty spectacular to carry that price premium over a 3070. Is it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya wee dancer!  It's shipped!  My order has been packed and I've a DPD consignment number.  Can't believe my luck.  

 

That said, I now need to figure out how to appease the AMD driver gods but that might be too big an ask.

 

Need my Quest 2 to pick up the v23 update as well so I can try out the new and improved Oculus Link.  Don't fancy running that ADB command to force the update.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Simbo said:

Ya wee dancer!  It's shipped!  My order has been packed and I've a DPD consignment number.  Can't believe my luck.  

 

That said, I now need to figure out how to appease the AMD driver gods but that might be too big an ask.

 

Need my Quest 2 to pick up the v23 update as well so I can try out the new and improved Oculus Link.  Don't fancy running that ADB command to force the update.

 

 

Well done!

 

I've yet to link the Quest 2 to my 3080 FE PC since getting it.

 

I am guessing the correct line of events is:

 

- Wait for Quest 2 to update to v23

- When it does enable 90hz and ramp up the resolution slider

- In oculusdebug.exe enable 500mbs for maximum bitrate for oculus link

 

Profit in VR?

 

Any other steps you recommend taking? (Sorry for the derail guys)

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Gabe said:

:lol:

 

That is the 3070 equivalent, right? It would have to be pretty spectacular to carry that price premium over a 3070. Is it?

 

Yeah thats the one. I guess it's a premium over the RRP, but only the 3070FE is going for that. The 3rd party ones are all £500+ so it's not a massive difference. Not watched any of the review videos yet so haven't seen the real world comparisons yet, but I've committed to the 3070 now anyway! Will be interesting to see how it all plays out over the next year or so in terms of driver updates and optimisations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, layten said:

OCUK forum seems to be a rage fest at price gouging right now.

 

I'm shocked.

Given that they're selling the 6800XT for more than you'd pay for a founders edition 3080, thus ruining one of its two redeeming features, I'm hardly surprised.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As an Nvidia customer, I am absolutely thrilled to see AMDs performance. I bought the way I did on the basis that DLSS is awesome and while it's not well used at the moment, I'm gambling on the fact that it will be.

 

If Nvidia drop the ball on it, then it looks like I might have gone with the wrong brand this time around. This is (relatively, we are talking about GPUs) thrilling!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Uzi I don't know how much I can push it but I've always wanted to try the supersampling as well - thought it was too much for the 980TI to handle.  Think I'll try your steps first and then see how much headroom I have before upping the supersampling. 

 

I've been holding back my VR gaming on the off-chance I got a card.  Can't wait to see how Project Cars 2 & ACC handles and I've not played HL:Alyx since launch.  Really looking forward to upping the quality a bit and seeing the difference.  Last time I played HL:Alyx was on my CV1 so should be in for a treat.

 

...

 

Going back on topic again ... what is the recommended way to change graphics card and to tidy up drivers/installers.  Pop in the new card, let windows pick its default driver, uninstall nvidia, run DDU then install AMD? 

 

I do plan to do a fresh reinstall of win10 at some point but no danger am I starting all that this weekend.  Not when there is VR to be done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, footle said:

They've released these, and people are buying them, without independent reviews?

 

AMD - officially still worse than Intel and Nvidia.

 

Similarly, I was pretty fucked off that the review embaro on the new Ryzen chips was only lifted the minute they went on sale.

 

I may be old fashioned but if I am about to layout £300-600 quid on some hardware I'd rather see how it runs before pressing the buy button. As it happens the benchmarks showed zero benefits to the type of gaming I'm playing so I ended up with a cheaper, last gen chip. 

 

If nothing else holding back reviews suggests a lack of confidence in a product even if, as with the CPU, the product turns out to be class leading.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Simbo said:

Going back on topic again ... what is the recommended way to change graphics card and to tidy up drivers/installers.  Pop in the new card, let windows pick its default driver, uninstall nvidia, run DDU then install AMD? 

 

I do plan to do a fresh reinstall of win10 at some point but no danger am I starting all that this weekend.  Not when there is VR to be done.


DDU has an option to uninstall display drivers and then shut down the computer. I'd say download the AMD drivers in advance along with DDU, use DDU to do the uninstall, swap the cards, turn on the computer to detect the card, install the AMD drivers.

Worked for me when going from 1070 to 5700XT and back again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iwan_canobi said:

Had a speculative look at launch time and Scan appeared to have a few, starting at £590 for the 6800. Didn't seem to be a 'add to basket' though then they were gone again after a few minutes. Happy with my 3070 purchase anyway.

 

383AE996.thumb.PNG.2ca1f8df1adf3ec4beb806462b3ee6ae.PNG

 

 

That's weird. I had a look at Scan at 14:02 and they had an Asus 6800 for £529.99 and the Sapphire 6800 was £539.99. Both were in stock and I could have put them in my basket too.

 

Guess they had a sniff of the OcUK play and upper their prices.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Once stock settles down I’m probably gonna go for a 6800 over a 3070. I currently have a Vega and I like AMD’s image sharpening feature which makes 1440p look excellent on my 4K screen. It’s perhaps not as good as DLSS, but it does work with every game. 
It’ll be interesting to see if JayzTwoCents manages to flash the 6800 with the bios from the 6800xt...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

Pretty much a total paper launch like the ryzen 5000 CPU's. Also the ray tracing performance is very disappointing. 4k performance is also generally behind Nividia as well but the lower res performance is generally better.

 DLSS really is Nvidias killer feature though. AMD really need their system to be as good.

In Fairness, I got myself a 5600x. They were in stock for about 30 minutes across all usual retailers. In comparison for both Nvidia and Radeon GPU launches, I couldn't even get to the point of clicking buy, and that was F5'ing like crazy at 2pm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scruff said:

 

 

That's weird. I had a look at Scan at 14:02 and they had an Asus 6800 for £529.99 and the Sapphire 6800 was £539.99. Both were in stock and I could have put them in my basket too.

 

Guess they had a sniff of the OcUK play and upper their prices.

 

Ah, that could be true, the main list didn't show any prices for me so the £590 was an MSI one I think that the page actually loaded when clicked.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 6800 is the odd one if you ask me. It's value proposition against the 3070 is pretty dubious if you factor in DLSS and ray tracing etc. I'd definitely be buying the 3070 if I had the choice - sure, on a number of games the 6800 wins out, but no by enough margin to pay the extra money for it and lose some really important extra bells and whistles.

 

The 6800xt? Not bad at all - definitely a 3080 competitor for most things, but - for me at least - the lack of tangibly important features slightly annoys me.

 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone will be disappointed if they buy either of them, but I'm not sure anyone who's already bought their nVidia card would be overly concerned, and if I was stuck in the pre-order queue for the nVidia, then I'm not sure I'm move over to team red.

 

But.

 

They're great cards all in all, and it's absolutely great that we're getting closer and closer to a proper Green V Red ultimate battle like we did a decade (or more) ago.

 

But screw all that, I've got my 3090 and I'm stupid. So don't listen to word I say because I clearly don't know what I'm talking about most of the time...

Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm not gonna lie, there was one single screen i wanted to see (jays two cents), the port royal screen, the actual ray tracing!

especially after the watch dogs legion comparison showed XsX running at the equivalent of a 2060s

 

and...well...i've got 10,000 out of my 2080ti 0_o

 

It seems in straight up rasterisation, they are on par, trading blows in different games....but...the advanced feature set of nvidia, is just...better

 

image.thumb.png.3c06466b8009422740cbe4a9e4046a36.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, given the frankly poor performance of the new AMD cards when ray tracing is turned on and the fact that we are going to see pretty much every big AA or AAA title support ray tracing in some fashion from next year (thanks to the new consoles) I couldn't honestly recommend one to anybody.

 

Even with a £100 discount you're sacrificing a ton of silicon that is dedicated to rendering ray tracing in videogames. It's a huge sacrifice.

 

As others have said, with ray tracing on that 6800 might as well be a 2080.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Isaac said:

Yeah, given the frankly poor performance of the new AMD cards when ray tracing is turned on and the fact that we are going to see pretty much every big AA or AAA title support ray tracing in some fashion from next year (thanks to the new consoles) I couldn't honestly recommend one to anybody.

 

I agree with everything you wrote there.

 

But it made me think a little - both new consoles are based on the RDNA 2 architecture in the 6000 series - so will the ray tracing in games be geared to the sort of performance AMD provide in the consoles and therefore on PC it will be fine, as the 6800 and 6800 XT are more performant than the consoles already?

I also wonder if the Nvidia "way of doing RT" will turn out to be a bit of an outlier, if the consoles use AMD?  Or is 'DirectX12 Ultimate' going to make *how* it's done irrelevant?  (I liken this to Glide for 3Dfx back in the day, was brilliant and fast for accelerated 3D, but eventually DirectX caught up and became the standard for everyone)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Valver said:

I agree with everything you wrote there.

 

But it made me think a little - both new consoles are based on the RDNA 2 architecture in the 6000 series - so will the ray tracing in games be geared to the sort of performance AMD provide in the consoles and therefore on PC it will be fine, as the 6800 and 6800 XT are more performant than the consoles already?

I also wonder if the Nvidia "way of doing RT" will turn out to be a bit of an outlier, if the consoles use AMD?  Or is 'DirectX12 Ultimate' going to make *how* it's done irrelevant?  (I liken this to Glide for 3Dfx back in the day, was brilliant and fast for accelerated 3D, but eventually DirectX caught up and became the standard for everyone)

 

Each time AMD are in consoles people think it could mean great things for them, yet Nvidia still smashes them in market share (even with the low-effort they have put in over the years), so I wouldn't hold my breath on that. These cards are clearly a good step up, but team green have a vastly bigger R&D budget to keep the lead on ray tracing and I fully expect them to do so. Not sure how that situation changes really without AMD releasing something either much, much better and much, much cheaper.

 

At the very least though, this should mean Nvidia actually do more than twiddle their thumbs with poor £/performance iterations over the next few years. Maybe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.