The official can AMD finally deliver a competitive GPU thread

3 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Surely DLSS isn't really relevant anyway for cards that are making mincemeat of 4K gaming.

Watchdogs Legion only consistently performs in 4k at 60fps on a 3090 with DLSS turned on.

Without DLSS it hovers around 40 fps.

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

Their CPUs destroy Intel too. This is the first time in a while that AMD have even been close with their graphics cards, no?

yea

The early reviews should be good.

Too many *'s with the 6900xt benchmarks for my liking.  It's over clocked and using the new 5 series Ryzen memory thing.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison

Just now, TehStu said:

AMD don't need to beat Nvidia, just keep them honest. 

We need them to keep nvidia honest, and  to make sure that decent graphics goes into consoles. I suspect they have grander ambitions.

looks a lot more promising than it has for years though.

2 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I think they will really struggle with the 6800XT at that price - they still don't have an answer for DLSS and realistically the 3080 is going to be faster. DLSS and better RTX support is worth $50. They really need to price more competitively than that or have an answer for DLSS.

I agree, it was telling that they didn't show the results of any RTX heavy test or game. I see Port Royal and Control everywhere I see RTX. The 3080 is the card to get, paired with an AMD CPU.

Just now, Ryan said:

I agree, it was telling that they didn't show the results of any RTX heavy test or game. I see Port Royal and Control everywhere I see RTX. The 3080 is the card  to get you can't get, paired with an AMD CPU.

You can tell they're not quite as good as nVidia yet because they're cheaper.

As soon as the CPUs were better than Intel for gaming they raised the prices :angry:.

13 minutes ago, Gabe said:

For 1440p gaming though is the 6800XT more promising than a 3070?

The “great card for 1440p gaming” reviews on the 3070 are weird. They’re both overkill.

I think it doesn't make sense for AMD to give a DLSS "discount" on their cards as not all games support it, and besides, not everyone buying their cards will even be gaming on them.

Thought this was funny:

image.png.f69ab67dda85779a4c2a21b03cff995c.png

If you want something to pair with a 5600X... wait for us to release some midrange GPUs I guess, lol.

I guess I see the logic in starting at the high end. Most people who don't need the performance can just buy previous gen GPUs. As someone who is very into small form factor builds though, I wish we didn't have to wait to get midrange or low-end cards with the new efficient architectures / node shrinks. The most popular GPU today is still a GTX 1060, a 120W GPU. Yet AMD today announced one 250W and two 300W cards - I don't really get it.

1 hour ago, Liamness said:

I guess I see the logic in starting at the high end. Most people who don't need the performance can just buy previous gen GPUs. As someone who is very into small form factor builds though, I wish we didn't have to wait to get midrange or low-end cards with the new efficient architectures / node shrinks. The most popular GPU today is still a GTX 1060, a 120W GPU. Yet AMD today announced one 250W and two 300W cards - I don't really get it.

Gotta compete with nvidia at the high end!, the lower end stuff will come later

2 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Could someone explain the Xbox connection? What's the difference between the two that was announced today? 

The part about games will be optimised for AMD on the consoles so it's likely that PC game versions will be equally well optimised from the get-go if you're using an AMD GPU?

15 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Does that mean shared memory and rage won't work with the 5600x? That was the CPU I was planning to get. No need for anything more for just gaming.

i'm guessing it means there's an equivalent card for the 5600x but AMD don't want to announce it yet. Rage should work with all gen 5 CPUs however.

Well, after that I have literally no idea whether to try for a 3070 tomorrow, hold out for a 6800XT in three weeks, keep praying for 3080s to flood the market, or just pick up a cheap ass old GTX card so I can begin my PC build, then mothball it and play on the imminent PS5 until the Spring when there might be more of everything available, including perhaps new 30 series cards with more memory...

Disappointed the 6800 costs more than a 3070, however I do like AMD and their image sharpening option. I’ve no idea how it compares to DLSS but with my current Vega setup running at 1440p and using 60% image sharpening, it looks great on a 4K screen. 
Also, with the consoles using Big Navi, surely that gives AMD PCs an advantage?

11 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

Disappointed the 6800 costs more than a 3070, however I do like AMD and their image sharpening option. I’ve no idea how it compares to DLSS but with my current Vega setup running at 1440p and using 60% image sharpening, it looks great on a 4K screen. 

It is quite a bit more powerful than a 3070 however. They gauged it up against the 2080ti (as the 3070 isn't out yet) which is almost identical performance to the 3070 and the 6800 pretty much kicked sand in its face:

image.thumb.png.22c5766d543516b94e244da2c0324e1b.png

It'll be fighting the 3070ti when/if that releases rather than the 3070. 

8 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Double the vram is not to be sniffed at either. Watch Dogs Legion tops 8GB already and the new consoles aren't on the shelves yet. 

It's the VRAM thing that sells it really.

But the more I think about it, the lack of real concrete ray tracing stuff is slightly worrying. Obviously it'll do it, but I doubt it'll compete in any way to what the nVidia cards can do.

Which leaves me in the position of now not being completely convinced by any of the cards now. I still think the 3080 is to under spec'd for memory and the sooner they do announce a new one with more of the stuff, that'll be far more enticing.

1 hour ago, StoooTube said:

Its got double the VRAM and  is more power efficient. If the gamplay benchmarks are true, its worth the extra money

I've decided to forget about the 3070 and go for the rx6800 .. perfect replacement for my 980ti as it's the same power consumption and much happier with the 16GB VRAM.

I read somewhere that the new gen consoles have 16GB of which 12GB is available for GPU ... So don't think 3070 with its 8GB will last the same 4 years as my trusty 980TI.

11 hours ago, JoeK said:

It's the VRAM thing that sells it really.

23 minutes ago, Simbo said:

I've decided to forget about the 3070 and go for the rx6800 .. perfect replacement for my 980ti as it's the same power consumption and much happier with the 16GB VRAM.

I read somewhere that the new gen consoles have 16GB of which 12GB is available for GPU ... So don't think 3070 with its 8GB will last the same 4 years as my trusty 980TI.

The lower VRAM in the 30XX cards from nvidia is the main reason I didn't try for one at launch. I have a 2080ti with 11gb VRAM, and it's doing the job for games now and will do for another year at least I expect, for 2D gaming at least. When the announcement was due about the 30XX series I was expecting 16gb VRAM in the 3080 and 3090 to be the minimum, not fucking 10gb! I think I'll see how the land lies with these cards during the summer next year, when proper benchmarks on current games are available.

6 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I'm leaning towards a 6800 too. I've never owned an AMD gpu though so I feel scared and ashamed.

Also this! :lol: I just don't like the idea of switching now that I have seen what nvidia can do with DLSS and Ray Tracing on my 2080ti. But if it's clear next year that AMD's cards are genuinely competitive, we'll see...