The next-gen gaming setup thread (Was: First World Problems: Where is your XSX/PS5 going to go?)

I'm planning on getting a XSX at some point, but I don't know where to put it. This is my TV unit (complete with my bejeaned knees):

IMG_27102020_150133_(1000_x_750_pixel).jpg.6da76fa5b2b0b7fb1009591e16f834a6.jpg

Logic would dictate that I should lie it horizontally and put it in the cavity beneath the TV, but I'm opposed to this for four reasons:

a) my footstool (the yellow thing you can just about make out in the lower left) will be in the way, so I won't be able to see my shiny new purchase glowing comfortingly while playing it;

b) I'm worried about ventilation if it's closed in inside that cavity, especially seeing as the main exhaust fan when it's lying down will be blowing hot air straight into the wooden side panel, which will then have nowhere to go;

c) I'll have to find somewhere else to put the miscellaneous controllers and assorted crap I've got in the boxes that are in there already;

and d) if I lie the console on its side then the Xbox logo will be the wrong way up when I'm looking at it - unthinkable.

The other option is having it behind the telly, on the right hand side (similar to the Switch, but at the opposite end), but that will mean bringing the TV forward, seeing as the unit is so forth, and it'll make it a right faff when I want to put discs in it. Plus, I won't be able to see the console in all its free-standing, monolithic, erect glory if it's stuck behind the TV.

What to do? Christ knows where a PS5 would fit. Where are you putting yours?

I'm tucking my PS5 behind the TV until I figure it out. But I need to figure it out before I wall mount the TV, which was my previous plan. It doesn't fit inside the existing unit. Maybe it goes on top? But then the TV goes too high.

5 minutes ago, mexos said:

Under the sofa, never to be seen. All the big ugly tech - TV control boxes etc all live under there.

But that's dust central! And does that not lead to wires going across the room to the TV, assuming it's in front of the sofa you mention?

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

But that's dust central! And does that not lead to wires going across the room to the TV, assuming it's in front of the sofa you mention?

Nope, routed all the wires through the skirting boards. No wires anywhere on display. All the tech lives on boards i can slide out if I want so cleaning is pretty easy.

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I've got this big walk in cupboard with a shelving unit in it:

N4lw1CWl.jpg

HDMIs go through the wall into the lounge.

Heat rises in the cupboard and the consoles at the bottom stay nice and cool. Much cooler than when they were in an Ikea Besta unit.

This way I don't have to have any visible wires or The Ugliest Console Ever (PS5) on display.

1698392745_tenor(2).gif.544208fdff110605f7d9757e7710180a.gif

PS5 was going to go where my TLOU2 PS4 Pro is currently sat - horizontally in a Lack TV bench from IKEA.

I don't think it will fit though so it's probably going to end up vertical to the left of my LG OLED (am I doing this right?). Doing that means I'll need to move my Virgin Superhub though.

Dammit!!

IMG-20201027-WA0036.thumb.jpg.f38923c858f28f66fd2159296ffa303e.jpg

I have this cheap IKEA media cabinet, bought it 10 years ago for the man cave. It's completely open in the back too for cables and ventilation. Those two unsightly cables sticking out are for charging the current gen controllers and for hooking up directly to the PC which sits on a desk to the right of the telly.

The PS5 and XsX should easily fit with room to spare in the top shelf. Obviously not with controllers to the side as I currently have it with the PS4 and X1X

I only have one shelf in my tv unit, concerned about the lack of ventilation for the PS5 so will move the switch to the shelf & the PS5 will now sit behind the television.

15 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

@Jamie John
I would probably stand it on something to the left of your unit. Or if possibly shift the cabinet to the left a bit and pop it down there.

Yeah, that's another option. I wouldn't want to just plonk it on the carpet however. I could mount the TV on the wall and lie it across the top of the sound base, too.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I'm planning on getting a XSX at some point, but I don't know where to put it. This is my TV unit (complete with my bejeaned knees):

IMG_27102020_150133_(1000_x_750_pixel).jpg.6da76fa5b2b0b7fb1009591e16f834a6.jpg

Logic would dictate that I should lie it horizontally and put it in the cavity beneath the TV, but I'm opposed to this for four reasons:

a) my footstool (the yellow thing you can just about make out in the lower left) will be in the way, so I won't be able to see my shiny new purchase glowing comfortingly while playing it;

b) I'm worried about ventilation if it's closed in inside that cavity, especially seeing as the main exhaust fan when it's lying down will be blowing hot air straight into the wooden side panel, which will then have nowhere to go;

c) I'll have to find somewhere else to put the miscellaneous controllers and assorted crap I've got in the boxes that are in there already;

and d) if I lie the console on its side then the Xbox logo will be the wrong way up when I'm looking at it - unthinkable.

The other option is having it behind the telly, on the right hand side (similar to the Switch, but at the opposite end), but that will mean bringing the TV forward, seeing as the unit is so forth, and it'll make it a right faff when I want to put discs in it. Plus, I won't be able to see the console in all its free-standing, monolithic, erect glory if it's stuck behind the TV.

What to do? Christ knows where a PS5 would fit. Where are you putting yours?

400wm

Not a clue, it’s currently creating arguments with the Mrs, I can probably fit the XSX and the Sky under the TV, no idea where to put the PS5 and I’d also like to have the Switch dock plugged in,

We’ve got a really small, odd shaped living room so I really don’t know what I’ll end up doing 

2166F30D-D863-47DD-B8F5-E387FB36B209.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Fargo said:

My Series X should just be able to slot into the same spot as the one X. It’ll be a bit more snug but should fit.

459C1D5E-36E6-4EC4-92D1-7B0C28400932.jpeg

I want that poster! Where'd you get yours from?

Got my CX oled and table coming tomorrow for games room. Mrs gets the Samsung 7000 in the living room to go into the new shelving we’ve fitted. Finally get rid of the old 1080p set with the humongous bevels.

33 minutes ago, Fargo said:

My Series X should just be able to slot into the same spot as the one X. It’ll be a bit more snug but should fit.

459C1D5E-36E6-4EC4-92D1-7B0C28400932.jpeg

Take that sticker off man, for crying out-loud. 

My Series X is going where the plant is next to the TV. I really wanted it stood vertical as the power button not being in the correct orientation when laid horizontally would bug me to no end.

PS5 looks hideous either orientation so will get banished to one of the lower two cupboards in horizontal mode. There's no back to the unit so plenty of space for ventilation even with the doors shut on its monstrous form.

IMG_20201026_112045_compress46.jpg

• Jamie John changed the title to The next-gen gaming setup thread (Was: First World Problems: Where is your XSX/PS5 going to go?)