Lies and the lying liars who tell them

As notorious as the Killzone 2 trailer was I have to give credit where it is due, the actual game came surprisingly close to that sequence. I also rate it as a shooter, had a pretty unique weight and pace to it.

I have a theory that being forced into the position of trying to live up to that video laid the groundwork for the graphical/technical skill that Guerrilla Games now demonstrate. 

There’s a clip somewhere of someone from Guerilla talking about how they’d sent that to Sony as an indicator of what they were aiming for and been clear it was pre-rendered and it actually in game. Sony just showed it as a trailer without informing them beforehand. 

For actual liars Molyneux is the master, making up features in interviews that his team would see and never have heard of before. Shout out to his spiritual successor Sean Murray though. I’ll never buy a game either of them has worked on at launch again.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

I thought that a lot of the hype / expectations placed on NMS came from an overly excited player base projecting their hopes and aspirations onto it.  I'm not absolving Hello Games of responsibility for feeding the monster, but I got the impression that there were a ton of self-contained feedback loops lumping more and more onto a small team and then absolutely kicking off with a HUGE sense of entitlement when their expectations weren't met.

NMS fans are mental, constantly trying to make excuses for outright lying. Even if you ignore the gorgeous trailers that looked nothing like the game at release (which are fine to complain about in here from Ubi and Sony but Hello Games somehow get a pass on), the guy went on National TV and lied about the features in his game a week before release. No fans imagined him doing that, he sat there like a smug prick saying there were things in his game that was shipping in a week that he knew were not in his game. They’d also been massively evasive about what the actual game entailed, what it would look like to play etc. They put faked trailers out, showed no actual footage of the game, avoided questions about how it actually played and lied to people’s faces about what was in there. They cultivated their fans imaginations and promised far more than they could deliver, which is why people expected more than they could deliver.

Edit : Broker beat me to it :-) 

Didn't Guerrilla games say they never intended that to be shown as a real gameplay trailer but Sony just fired ahead with it during the presentation? I always thought it was a shame that so many people remember the Killzone games because of that, Killzone 2 may not have lived up to that trailer (as if it ever could have) but it got surprisingly close and was a damn good game. I can't think of many FPS games that really nailed that physicality the way Killzone did other than Riddick and more recently Resident Evil 7, you felt in control of an actual person rather than a floating camera.

The camera movements always gave those trailers away instantly, it might look good to watch but actually playing a game like that would feel awful. MotorStorm looked good enough that they could have just shown the game with a ludicrously dynamic camera added rather than pull the old target-render switcheroo. 

I don’t know, but the narrative that Hello Games’ lies were actually a result of crazy expectations that people should have known weren’t realistic is definitely something that NMS fans feel the need to constantly state whenever anyone brings up the blatant dishonesty of the game’s marketing, and it’s just not true at all. They were intentionally vague about what the game looked like and what you could do in it and lied about those things right up until release. Unlike other examples in this thread where there was an initial trailer that looked good followed by more realistic ones closer to release, the fake NMS trailer was still advertising the game after it released. They scammed people and those people had every right to be pissed off.

I thought that I was fairly clear that Hello Games deserved some of the blame for sowing the seeds but even at the time the sheer sense of entitlement from people based on their own misguided expectations and self-contained feedback loops meant a blowback was pretty obvious.  It felt like a runaway train.  The fallout was spectacular, even by entitled whiny gamer standards.

I have no dog in the fight here, I've never even played it.  I was very interested in it, but once the initial shitstorm blew over I thought there were no winners there and never quite got around to it.  I've heard its pretty good these days, and it's on GamePass so... *shrugs*

Incidentally, I do think that is why we won't see Half Life 3.  It can't possibly match up to what people already expect of it, let alone what they would expect if it was actually real.

I remember when the first Mirror’s Edge trailer came out (with text at the beginning saying that it was in-game footage) a friend of mine was adamant that it was “obviously” pre-rendered. I have no idea why, to my eyes there was nothing unbelievable in the trailer and the final game turned out just like it. 

nah most NMS fans now just shrug and think its been 4 years - if you still want to piss and moan about it go right ahead. This is certainly the right thread for it :D

PS2 lies were pretty cynical attempts to kill Dreamcast - All that the next gen doesn't start til we say so garbage. And when it was launch time what did they have to show off how much more powerful it was than the DC?

Fantavision and the Bouncer.

It wasn't as if they n eeded to kill it anyway they could've let the DC die of natural causes without all the lies.

Sean Murray is now the guy who comes into schools talking about his former life of crime and how he turned things around.

Like.. which I say as a joke, but I think he genuinely is doing something like that. I've seen him giving talks on the dangers of over-promising. I think Hello Games' work supporting NMS is probably enough that they shouldn't collectively be held up as some kind of pariahs of hype because Murray fucked up so badly nearly five years ago.

Remember E3 2014? It was the year MS showed a load of CGI trailers for games which subsequently got cancelled or came out in a diminished form.

In particular they put a trailer for a reboot of original Xbox era game, Phantom Dust.

Only problem was the devs were't even aware of this trailer and it bore little resemblance to what they were actually making.

https://kotaku.com/how-a-small-game-studio-almost-made-it-big-1696997142

Darkside was in the very early stages of development when E3 came around in June of last year, and some at the studio say they were shocked to see Microsoft announce Phantom Dust there. They were even more shocked to see the game announced through a pre-rendered trailer that nobody at Darkside had worked on, according to studio sources.

One former Darkside employee says some at the studio were caught off-guard by the announcement. “We didn’t even know if they were going to show it,” the employee said. “We were basically told, ‘Hey check out the E3 presentation.’ The whole studio’s in the living room, we have a TV going with an Xbox watching the presentation, and then all of a sudden there’s that two-minute CG trailer. And we were like, ‘That’s amazing.’ But at the same time, they didn’t use any of our assets, they didn’t use any of our card packs, nothing. Basically what they showed had nothing to do with the game whatsoever. We had no idea that was even happening… It was like, ‘Holy crap, now fans are expecting characters to look like that, and that’s not what we’re making.’”

One particularly strange moment for Darkside happened around then, when Microsoft’s Ken Lobb said on a podcast that Phantom Dust would be “about a 30-hour JRPG.” The developers were baffled. That was never part of their plan. “Nobody knew he was gonna say that,” said one Darkside staffer. “We were told by people at Microsoft that Ken just does things like that.”

The NMS thread on here was fucking crazy, beyond Sean Murray overhyping/promising multiplayer that didn’t exist. You had posters acting like they genuinely expected the disc to contain an actual real entire pocket universe with all the stuff they were saying they were going to do in it when the game came out.

Aliens: Colonial Marines is the one I was worst affected by. I don’t usually get hyped for games, but I absolutely loved the Aliens franchise (before Covenant completely ruined it for me). I ordered the regular release and the Special Edition on the 360. I must have been in work on release day and the shitstorm was almost instant. I remember looking on Amazon and they were selling brand new copies for about £11 (can’t remember if it was the collectors or regular edition) and I was sat in work thinking “shit, I’ve paid £100 for two copies of this and Amazon can’t even give it away on release day.” Needless to say when I got home and played it I was very disappointed.

weirdly, I went looking for those bullshots of the N64 american football game yesterday. Again.

but I couldn't remember if it was EA's Madden game, or Acclaims NFL licenced title.

it seems to be a regular occurrence... still 8th on google

Mass Effect 3 I guess.

Don’t get me wrong, I fucking love the game but by the time this one rolled up you could see each and every one of the developers wondering just why in the hell did they decide to keep harping on about how much your choices matter.

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

The NMS thread on here was fucking crazy, beyond Sean Murray overhyping/promising multiplayer that didn’t exist. You had posters acting like they genuinely expected the disc to contain an actual real entire pocket universe with all the stuff they were saying they were going to do in it when the game came out.

To be fair, they did suffer a flooded office, and various death threats during development, which is never easy in the first place without the additional fuckery of game development. Look at them now, mind.

Switch eshop is the modern version of "arcade screenshots on a c64 game box".

Photos/videos of gameplay from the PC version that bear little resemblance to the heavily downgraded switch port you're buying.

Most obvious example I've seen was Xenon Racer at release. More recently, I think I read similar about "Cloudpunk". I'm sure there are others as nintendo don't seem to care.

When it came to games journalism, i spent a good chunk of my life thinking reviews were honest, if sometimes a little misguided. It was opinion, afterall, and there were times when I strongly disagreed with friends about how good a game was. 

I'd worked in the industry for best part of five years before I read a review where I realised the reviewer had clearly been paid to give a good review to a bad game.  It was a game I worked on that mostly got 40-50% reviews, which was fair*. But one of the bigger magazines gave it 86%. Which was bullshit. Ypu could tell from the review that reviewer didn't like the game, but was quite cagey about it, and then the score didn't really match the words. Lost all my trust in reviews at that point. 

* the game was actually bad by design.  I've talked about this before - it was a football game where the producer had a vision of how it should play and wouldn't deviate from this. I got brought in to do qa and pointed out the flaws, as I was paid to do. When all my issues were shot down as being by design, I said the game was no fun to play. The producer actually said "it's not supposed to be fun, it's a serious football game". 86%.

Either PC Gamer or PC Zone quoted said producer in a "bullshitter of the month" segment. 

17 hours ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Shout out to that absolutely brutal RPS Molyneux interview/ritual disembowelling. Stop, he’s already dead. 

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/13/peter-molyneux-interview-godus-reputation-kickstarter/

That's still the best interview with an industry figure that I've ever read. Frost/Nixon on steroids.

Out of interest, did Godus ever actually go anywhere after all the further promises made by Molyneux in the interview?