Lies and the lying liars who tell them

13 minutes ago, dumpster said:

We had a VHS tape of The Bouncer on a continual loop.  Loads of preorders.  Shite.  

I wish I'd kept the press release we got for PS2, there was a whole paragraph about how the emotion engine could accurately simulate iron filings or something, it was just gibberish.

Do you reckon they are still on GamesPress.com. I can't remember if they covered PS2 era releases.

I remember this yeah. There's a part in a subway station where water starts flooding in, and Sony were quoted saying "Our Emotion Engine can accurately calculate how the water flows and interacts with objects".

Man we were fed lies in the PS2 era.

Chase HQ for the C64 is without a doubt the most I have ever felt conned buying a game. You’ll have to fast forward the video a bit to get to the actual game, but Jesus Christ. Naturally the box showed screenshots from the arcade version <_<

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Chase HQ for the C64 is without a doubt the most I have ever felt conned buying a game. You’ll have to fast forward the video a bit to get to the actual game, but Jesus Christ. Naturally the box showed screenshots from the arcade version <_<

The Spectrum version was bloody brilliant though!

Honourable mention surely for the press round the No Mans Sky chap did in the run up months to the game

Ever more ludicrous questions of the type 'so I can fart in a balloon and sell it to my friends for space gibbons' were met with a sly grin and a 'yup'

Despite the fact it was all a bit shit and you couldn't fly within 50ft of the blurry planet surface, and there was no game.

Understand they spent ages supporting it post release but it was one of the biggest lie fests undertaken since Rise of the Robots. 

1 minute ago, Gotters said:

Honourable mention surely for the press round the No Mans Sky chap did in the run up months to the game

Ever more ludicrous questions of the type 'so I can fart in a balloon and sell it to my friends for space gibbons' were met with a sly grin and a 'yup'

Despite the fact it was all a bit shit and you couldn't fly within 50ft of the blurry planet surface, and there was no game.

Understand they spent ages supporting it post release but it was one of the biggest lie fests undertaken since Rise of the Robots. 

You have a point here but the low fly limit at speed seems an odd one.

It is a perfect example of the feeling and experience they were trying to sell completely overtook all reason in terms of marketing and hype. I can understand the desire to fill the player with the concept of your game but down right saying you can do things you cannot or that there's more going on than there obviously is just seems silly.

"You can play with friends and find other players. But the universe is so big you never will". That was fine a year from release but they were still saying it on release where it was obvious the only multiplayer aspect was seeing things named by other planets.

But fair play to Hello Games, they have done amazing things with the game since.

I thought that a lot of the hype / expectations placed on NMS came from an overly excited player base projecting their hopes and aspirations onto it.  I'm not absolving Hello Games of responsibility for feeding the monster, but I got the impression that there were a ton of self-contained feedback loops lumping more and more onto a small team and then absolutely kicking off with a HUGE sense of entitlement when their expectations weren't met.

7 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I thought that a lot of the hype / expectations placed on NMS came from an overly excited player base projecting their hopes and aspirations onto it.  I'm not absolving Hello Games of responsibility for feeding the monster, but I got the impression that there were a ton of self-contained feedback loops lumping more and more onto a small team and then absolutely kicking off with a HUGE sense of entitlement when their expectations weren't met.

I think that's fair to a point; the future players did that (you see the same thing here all the time in terms of guess and extrapolations taken too far - the PS5 and XSX threads are hilarious for this).

Except the team (likely overworked and under pressure from Sony to not deflate the balloon) never just said "no, you cannot meet another player in game". Simples. All done.

The E3 trailer for Halo 2 was the most amazing thing I had ever seen and I rewatched it about 100 times. 

Wasn't in the game and was just a showcase of new mechanics, I was disappointed but the game was still great. 

1 hour ago, StumpyJohn said:

image.png.3c94d35ed05f32ee3fad7b58319a50ea.png

Think this is the first "massive pile of lies" game that I remember, was too poor to have a spectrum/ C64 so missed out on that era

I still can't think of a game as hyped as this. 

It was long before the Internet sure but my god it was everywhere.