Ghostrunner - (PC, PS4, Xbox) Out today

3 hours ago, El Spatula said:

I really like this but the way it saves is awful. Did a large section of the second area last night only to have to start from scratch when playing it again.

It only saves at the end of each chapter... which given the potential for pad flinging frustration is a really bad idea... particularly as you restart just seconds earlier from your last death in game

20 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's not really Mirror's Edge at all though, although that's an obvious shorthand for describing it superficially. It's more like firstperson Meat Boy type game. You complete one small platform challenge map after another, with instant restarts, and figuring out a route is the main puzzle.

Pretty much all comparisons come down to 'useful shorthand' really, I'm not sure it's worth nitpicking over unless it's wildly innacurate. I mean, you yourself said it was inspired by Mirror's Edge.

For anyone who continued playing the first ME beyond the initial playthrough or hammered the time trials figuring out the best route was also the puzzle and you'd probably be hitting restart every time you messed up, which would be often until you'd really got it down. There was ME the narrative experience (which I didn't care about much, I found the writing and characterisation fairly cringeworthy) and ME the time trial/route optimisation game (which was amazing). What I've played of this might only have had a passing resemblance to the former but it felt very much like the latter, the main difference being that you could avoid combat in ME which I'm guessing isn't very viable in this.

It’s not really combat though given it’s all one hit kill; enemies are more another environmental hazard you need to work out how to deal with. Certainly nothing like the clunky fights that spoiled both the Mirrors Edge games.

Its Mirrors Edge (particularly reminiscent of the trial rooms in Catalyst where you need to ascend a tower) with the try and try again loop of Celeste or Meat Boy.

• 3 weeks later...

Got this on PS4 with a PS5 update promise but man, this is nice. Hotline Miami by way of Cyberpunk.

This must have taken me a few dozen tries to get right though. :lol: The instant restarts make it a joy to try an experiment.

Resolution sure takes a hit on the PS4 version, but framerate is delightful.

Finished this a week or so ago, thought it was really great. Pretty frustrating at times too mind, those bloody crawly bomb guys! And the first 2 bosses are pretty nuts. Went back to the start to see if I could fly through the early levels, and while I could do the platforming a lot better, even early on the fight rooms I find hard still, maybe due to me never really getting the hang of the slowdown time sideways dodge move. The plus there is the difficulty doesn’t ramp up significantly, it just starts off really hard. So yeah if you like the sound of it and know what you’re getting yourself into, I’d definitely recommend it.

• 1 month later...

This is very possibly my favourite game of the gen. It doesn't mess around, it's just *insert total length here* of gameplay. It's like a modern arcade game in that respect, there's not a lick of fat on the thing, even the story is told as you're busy hacking, jumping and sliding your way through the level. Yes it's challenging, but it never feels unfair. Restart points are generous in their position and unlimited in number. It's actually quite strategic in how you have to plot your best route to maximise your chances.

The first boss is proper insane and took roughly 40 mins of repeated restarts to beat, but whilst it may have coaxed a handful of F bombs out of me, it always felt as though there was a path forward.

As @spatular says above, this is a game which sets its stall out early on. That first level is a bit of a baptism by fire and you're given very little time to ease in or much assistance at all to help you master the vital dash manoeuvre, but when it clicks and you've got a few levels behind you, you really do feel every inch the ninja you're playing. It's never anything less than challenging, but it's not relentless either. There are pockets where you just get to blaze through sections, slicing and wall running your way to victory until you reach a section you have to puzzle and hone all your reflexes to complete.

So yes, if you miss those days of arcade immediacy and you enjoy these sort of fail / repeat experiences, which challenge your reflexes, then I can't recommend this one enough. I was going to wait for the PS5 release, but sod it, that'll be all the excuse I need for a New Game Plus run. :) 

4 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

I've stopped playing it as they really need to save your progress after every section. 

Yeah, that is a legitimate complaint. The levels seem to range between 20 - 30 mins each, but if you've just cleared one of the tougher sections and you turn off hoping to resume from where you were, then that really can be a pain. A ridiculously easy fix, the fact that one hasn't arrived yet makes me think that it's a very deliberate decision by the devs.

Oh well. I can't be bothered to keep doing the same three bits before i get to the place I die. 

There are definitely some sections where it seems like you can get lucky or unlucky and die when you couldn't really do much about it too. 

• 3 weeks later...

I accumulated a bit of PSN credit so picked up Ghostrunner and the heavily discounted Madden last night. I've yet to really get into Ghostrunner but the very small section I did play felt very slick. I immediately switched crouch to R3 as there is no way I want to coming off the look stick unless its absolutely necessary. Initial feeling is jump not being on X is going to take a lot of 'runs' to get used to :) 

Noticed they are planning on releasing a PS5 version that will be a free upgrade to PS4 owners of the game (XBox equivalent too obviously) but technically it looks and runs really smooth so far on the PS5. Going to get a lot of fun / frustration with this tonight!

Fuck :blink:

Eh, this is brilliant. Yes, it plays like it needs your brain to be directly hooked up to the machine such is the speed required for the controls but when it clicks :omg:

It also looks and feels like I expected Cyberpunk to be, which is absolutely staggering considering the price and relative lack of noise its made since release. I love a game that challenges me to learn its system, but I fucking hate games that make the penalty for learning that system / world unnecessarily punishing. Its why even the fantastic Demon Souls is still unfinished for me. But I can see myself playing this on repeat until my eyes cross or blood starts running out my nose.

So happy I picked this up... out of nowhere aswell :) 

• 1 month later...