Ghostrunner - (PC, PS4, Xbox) Out today

• Parappa changed the title to Ghostrunner - (PC, PS4, Xbox) Out today

I'm watching somebody play it on Twitch and it looks pretty fun and slick. He's not struggling, but I can imagine it getting frustrating with the timing and one-hit kills. Very generous checkpointing and instant respawning, though. A thumping soundtrack too...

First level still but it feels so awesome to play. Put down the demo and bought it immediately. Checkpointing is extremely generous, restarts are instant. Crucially you one hit kill every enemy and they also one hit kill you. Which makes it feel really awesome when you slice three enemies in a row in between jumping from wall to wall. The bullet time in the air serves as a course correction but also as a way to strafe around enemies - as you fly towards them, they start shooting, you bullet time to sidestrafe and see the bullets whizz by, and then you let go of bullet time, hit slice and fooomp red mist, enemy down. Beautiful. I hope the rest of the game is awesome as this first bit!

Bought it, uninstalled it.

it’s too hard to be enjoyable and I didn’t get that far. It’s a game about dying over and over but not very consistent with it. You might on one attempt be able to drop in on an enemy and on another he’ll be looking up and shoot you (1 shot 1 kill). Clearing an area might take 20 goes and in some cases it’s impossible to do on the first go as you’ll have to discover something that gets you killed on first attempt.

I imagine that if the game eased you in more gently then you’d get better at it but as it stands it’s pretty rock from the off and you feel like you’re being unfairly punished because you haven’t clocked up enough playtime to learn it. Not that it provides many tips.

Some dodgy collision detection and jumps as well. I’d miss the same jumps on one go I could nail on others and couldn’t work out why. Soon after you start soldiers have energy fields provided by a floating ball you have to destroy first. That just isn’t much fun when they all have it.

Shortly after the game told me that the enemies that were repeatedly killing me were mere low level goons and it would get much harder I decided I’d had enough.

I’ve just seen that my Xbox is set to ‘cinema mode’ on my TV. I had this issue with Sekiro as there’s a fair bit of lag.

I’m reinstalling to see if that makes a difference as it did with Sekiro - a lot.

Weirdly this reminds me of hotline Miami in the way it makes you approach a level, get creative and the instant restart when you die. 
 I could see it getting very challenging as it goes on but I’m enjoying what I’ve seen so far. 

34 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I’ve just seen that my Xbox is set to ‘cinema mode’ on my TV. I had this issue with Sekiro as there’s a fair bit of lag.

I’m reinstalling to see if that makes a difference as it did with Sekiro - a lot.

No, fuck this game. The frame rate is pretty janky on an Xbox one x and there’s a few bugs like your grappling rope attaching and then cutting out.

Masochist gaming.

10 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Weirdly this reminds me of hotline Miami in the way it makes you approach a level, get creative and the instant restart when you die. 
 I could see it getting very challenging as it goes on but I’m enjoying what I’ve seen so far. 

Yeah, that's it exactly. The instant restarts are crucial for that. Feels really good so far, but maybe I'll hit a point like Strafe that it becomes too frustrating. So far it's really good and tbh we need more games like this.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah, that's it exactly. The instant restarts are crucial for that. Feels really good so far, but maybe I'll hit a point like Strafe that it becomes too frustrating. So far it's really good and tbh we need more games like this.

How far in are you?

Its great when it flows but the constant dying isn’t something that I enjoy. It’s hard to fulfil the dream of being an elite cyborg ninja when you restart so many times and the game is reduced to trial and error.

The hotline Miami comparisons are valid but this is structured in much bigger maps so it’s more like playing something like Titanfall 2’s campaign and having to die over and over. If that makes sense.

It's *very* trial and error, and after a while it starts spreading the checkpoints farther apart. I found it easier when I switched to M+K because there are a few extremely fussy sequences which just don't seem built for a controller. 

I think it's really good. 

It's quite hard but you obviously get better retrying each scenario. 

Feels bad ass when you nail a section. 

I almost stopper playing in frustration but once I got a bit of flow going it really started to shine. 

I got turned off this pretty fast from the demo. Looked great, but feels really loose and the default button configuration felt off to me.

Might give it another shot some time so long as you can reconfigure your own controls.

I used the second control setup with crouch on the right stick. Feels pretty good to me, and just as much as it's inspired by Mirror's Edge, it's also like Meat Boy in first person. Runs that you either nail in one spectacular go at 100mph or fail miserably - instant restart and try again.

So far, up to level 4 or 5 I haven't encountered or noticed the problems @Strafe mentioned. Doesn't mean I disagree, I'm very early on and I can totally see how it could become frustrating later on. It's a fine line.

There's a demo on Steam (don't know about other platforms) to try out to see how it runs. I have an older PC so immediately turned every obvious setting from epic to high before even starting and got 60fps.

It’s hard... very hard. 

The controls definitely take some adjusting, I’m  not a fan of having jump on a bumper but you need it here as you need to have control of both sticks whilst platforming.

The instant restarts and good checkpoints give it a feel of Celeste in 3D and the blood and puzzler feel to the combat reminds me of both Hotline Miami and also Superhot.

Runs fantastic  on my laptop (i5 8300 and a 1060) epic everything and 60fps.

About half way through level 4 and it feels like it’s starting to click. 3D meatboy meets Hotline Miami in s exactly how I’d sum this up - the controls can be a bit off at times but the instant restarts and reasonably regular checkpoints help mitigate the frustration. 

I think it's great. 

Your brain needs a while off to wire itself to play. 

I was flying around tonight compared to last night. 

It has potential to be brilliant. 

And £25 on Xbone! Hooray!

I'm shocked that the Ghostrunner isn't voiced by David Hayter, it really sounds like him. 

This is really awesome fun, framerate is dodgy at times on peasant bone so I hope the series x powers through it. 

I turned controller sensitivity down to 40, though, default is too twitchy. 

Yay PC gaming. Big Picture'd it to my TV. Game thinks my TV is 720p. Force 1080p, and game zoooooooms in.

Refunded, unfortunately, as I was looking forward to it.

54 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I turned controller sensitivity down to 40, though, default is too twitchy. 

Exactly what I did. I liked this but it hasn't quite clicked for me yet - put it down to tiredness (AKA getting old and shit). 

Decent review from Easy Allies, I'm too old for this type of game though. I would not have the reaction speed needed and would get frustrated.

This is awesome! but at the same time I’ve only done about 5 levels and there’s already been two sections where I though I might have to quit because it’s really difficult. More random than stuff like this in 2D too as you can’t see everything that’s shooting at you. I’m not very good at using the dodge and blink stuff, my tactics are more keep moving forword and hope for the best. It’ll probably end up like cloudbuilt for me, I like it but will likely not be able to complete it.

Although I love Mirror's Edge etc. I wasn't very convinced by the demo of this a few months back but since I had an Epic voucher about to expire I thought I'd give it another shot.

It doesn't even have a proper full screen mode, despite the fact the demo did, so can only be played in some weirdly scaled borderless blur-o-vision. Apparently it's being looked into but it's a pretty shoddy first impression.

It's not really Mirror's Edge at all though, although that's an obvious shorthand for describing it superficially. It's more like firstperson Meat Boy type game. You complete one small platform challenge map after another, with instant restarts, and figuring out a route is the main puzzle.