IGNORED

Britbox - What's worth watching?

Anne Summers

Couldn't see a thread on this...

Got a free 6 months with my EE contract. I don't need to watch Fawlty Towers or Red Dwarf again right now. 

So I started watching Brideshead Revisited which I had memories of from when I was a kid... Not of watching it , but my parents watching it and talking about it. Kind of an early example of event TV I guess. Dunno why but I'm finding it extremely enjoyable even though (true to the book) not much happens in it and it's pretty boring. 

I see they have the original 1970s Survivors on there. First series is worth a watch, goes off the rails a bit after that but YMMV and all that. Essentially there's a massive global event that sees civilisation go down the pan. The show follows people trying to survive. It's pretty good because it makes you wonder how you'd cope in a similar situation.

Some decent films on there too. Watched The Acid House the other week. The absolutely essential Secrets & Lies is there.

2 hours ago, Waggo said:

Did not realise Blake’s 7 was on there.:omg:

Do they do a free trial or any introductory offers?

They do a year in advance offer, 12 months for the price of 10. Only a one week free trial though which is a bit stingy.

Having a quick browse through the films, a few picks:

Shallow Grave

The Long Good Friday

Sexy Beast

Wilt (adaptation of the Tom Sharpe novel starring Smith and Jones)

They make it look like they have about 20 films because in each section the same films are repeated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A few recent arrivals on Britbox that might be interesting to some:

This Is England - the film, not the TV series although I'm hoping that turns up at some point. If you've not seen this it is excellent, has Shane Meadows' unique blend of at times hard-hitting social drama and humour.

The Adventure Game - various children's TV presenters from the time are put through some escape-room puzzling. It ran between 1980 and 1986, first series is up now. It's sort of a low-energy Crystal Maze. Watched the first one, it's amazing how thick that team was! They definitely improved the show as it went along.

Grange Hill - the first four series are now up, I'm assuming they'll be adding more as it goes on. As it started in 1978 these are a little before my time.

5 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

Just the name of this service is enough to put me off.

Yes, it's not for everyone, certainly, but there's some good stuff on there that, irritatingly, isn't on bigger services.

19 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Weirdly it's not. Really surprised by that actually. It is on Netflix though, thankfully. 

Thats probably why. They are still waiting for licenses to expire on some of the other services?

9 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Thats probably why. They are still waiting for licenses to expire on some of the other services?

It's a shame they can't negotiate multiple licenses.  Unless they make the shows themselves, it would be more consumer-friendly to have them available on multiple platforms. Obviously that goes against their outdated assumption that exclusivity drives business towards them, when it just pisses people off or drives them towards second-hand DVDs or piracy. 

I'd like to think they'll learn but there's no sign of that yet. 

40 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

That’s nuts, I just checked an it’s gone.. It was on it last month. I watched through it all. So they did have it and now it’s gone. 

1 minute ago, DonRumsfeld said:

That’s nuts, I just checked an it’s gone.. It was on it last month. I watched through it all. So they did have it and now it’s gone. 

And that's another thing. They're very keen to tell you what they've added but rather quiet about informing people what's about to go. I'd have more respect for them as a company if they did that. BritBox aren't the only offenders there though. 

I’m just surprised that they’re taking stuff off. I’ve quite liked it for the nostalgia and was hoping it was going to eventually be a large archive of British TV.  Removals don’t fill me with hope. 

On the lighter side, kicked off the first episode of the adventure game. Didn’t remember it being as convoluted, It’s like a raid from Destiny!

Yeah that one room was not exactly the best designed escape room ever. I think they tightened it up in later series. It didn't help they did it all in the wrong order, and that the woman could get her hand down the tube. 

Signed up for a free trial yesterday to watch an episode of Only Fools and Horses that isn't on Netflix (1983 Christmas special, Thicker Than Water, since you're asking), only to find it's not on Britbox either. Ended up paying £1.99 to watch on YouTube.

Anyway, the only other shows I was interested to watch were the Brittas Empire and 2point4children, having fond memories of them from when I was a kid. Neither are on Britbox.

The user interface is awful, the subtitles are hilariously shite. I won't be extending my free trial. :quote:

22 minutes ago, ckny said:

Signed up for a free trial yesterday to watch an episode of Only Fools and Horses that isn't on Netflix (1983 Christmas special, Thicker Than Water, since you're asking), only to find it's not on Britbox either. Ended up paying £1.99 to watch on YouTube.

Anyway, the only other shows I was interested to watch were the Brittas Empire and 2point4children, having fond memories of them from when I was a kid. Neither are on Britbox.

The user interface is awful, the subtitles are hilariously shite. I won't be extending my free trial. :quote:

I use https://www.justwatch.com/ to find out where shows are available. You're right that their site, compared to others, is pretty bare bones and shoddy. I'm using it on a web browser. The player is similarly not great, lacks a lot of the features you get on other sites, plus it annoyingly comes out of full screen when you pause. The TV app is absolute pants, half the time it fails to load, if it does it wants me to keep re-entering my credentials. 

I'm on it more for the content than anything. Paid for a year in advance and so far have watched plenty on there (Wire In The Blood, Benidorm, Brass Eye, etc). Hmm, just checked for Wire In The Blood on JustWatch, apparently it's not on BritBox. They'd better not have taken that off since last Saturday!

• 9 months later...

If anyone still uses Britbox, do you get signed out of the TV app frequently? On my LG app I seem to have to get a new code every week or so, which I don't need to do with any other streaming service.

49 minutes ago, pledge said:

If anyone still uses Britbox, do you get signed out of the TV app frequently? On my LG app I seem to have to get a new code every week or so, which I don't need to do with any other streaming service.

I can't even get the Britbox app working on my 2017 LG telly, it just goes grey. Tried everything and nothing works. So it's just on the computer.