The Queen's Gambit - Netflix new mini series (it's excellent!)

10 hours ago, Benny said:

3/5 in The Guardian remember. It's the new Edge 6.

Lucy Mangan has some really questionable views on TV. I always liked her as a feature writer in the past but not sure the move to TV is right, she gave Chernobyl 3/5 for crying out loud!

Just finished it. Still great but a shame they resorted to the magical negro trope. They almost, sorta, kinda alluded to it but not enough to change the fact that they were sincerely employing it to further the white protagonist's journey.

3 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

Who was the magical negro?

Spoiler

Jolene coming back in the final episode. To be clear, a character does not literally have to possess magical or mystical powers to qualify. In many cases it's predominantly about a supporting black character existing nearly exclusively to prop up a white protagonist's narrative journey by offering unwavering support, sage, homespun wisdom and salt of the earth advice when they most need it, often going way above and beyond to help them.

So in this case we have a childhood friends who have not seen or spoken to each other for years but when the white main character is at her lowest ebb, mired in a hole of loneliness and addiction, up pops the 'magical negro' to dispense no-nonsense advice and platitudes, drag her out of a hole and give up her college savings so Beth can get to Russia (a mess completely of her own making given her prior financial success and reckless behaviour). 

The problem is that Jolene is absent for basically 6 whole episodes and while she does mention Beth being the only thing she had in the orphanage, for all intents and purposes her role in the series is simply to support the gifted but troubled white character. It would be less bothersome if this bond felt equal but it appears really quite one-sided. While they obviously formed a bond at the orphanage, we never saw much since then to make us believe Beth still cared about Jolene the way we discover Jolene cared about and followed Beth in the interim. 

So lack of literal magical powers aside it fits the trope to a tee and is a bit disappointing and careless in the context of the rest of the show. Especially since the white supporting characters in the show are given far more complex roles and relationships with Beth beyond simply being her saviour. And as I said earlier, the writers give Jolene lines where she basically says 'I'm not here just to save you' while quite literally appearing in the show just to save Beth by jeopardising her dream of going into law. Just having the character say they aren't present to save the white character doesn't change the fact that is indeed what they're doing.

Spoiler

Considering the show is based on a book, could those lines have been a concession in the script to awareness of how that looks and attempting to at least address the issue? (Or at least draw attention to the fact they were aware of it, as it doesn't solve anything)

I think other characters in the show do seem to drop everything to help her at times also, but generally those are white male characters who see something to gain from their relationship. And the relationship with Jolene was definitely underdeveloped in comparison.

On 14/11/2020 at 00:45, Majora said:

Just finished it. Still great but a shame they resorted to the magical negro trope. They almost, sorta, kinda alluded to it but not enough to change the fact that they were sincerely employing it to further the white protagonist's journey.

Spoiler

It’s an interesting one, because she also dropped Beth off the rails by getting her addicted to drugs in episode one.

The bit where she gave her all the money was odd though.

• 2 weeks later...

Cant really read through the thread or go online because I think there are spoilers but can someone answer me this:

Is the sound all strange in this? As in, you cant hear the voices and some stuff is very muffled? Watched the first episode and found it hard going.

I have not read or seen anything about this until I seen it on Netflix last night. So started to watch but have a hard time hearing it. Just tell me that is supposed to be like that or I am stupid!? :)

On 26/11/2020 at 11:33, ridgeracer said:

I can barely hear the voices and its like when someone is under water but when the music kicks in it normal. Cant be Netflix as I loaded up something else and worked fine. 

Not with this, but I’ve had problems with my soundbar and some other UHD stuff on Netflix and Sky. Switched from 5.1 to DD and it was fine. I don’t know what’s happened with the coding, but it was like all the front channels had nearly disappeared in all cases.

Loved this show btw - very engaging performances, great dramatic tension and some really emotional moments.

On 02/11/2020 at 20:37, Pete said:
  Hide contents

It was quite refereshing to see quite a simple tale told in a predictable way, after so many things that are trying to be clever or meta.

Spoiler

This was my favourite thing about it! No ridiculous twists. It was like the anti-The Stranger. When her love interest came to see her at the end, my wife's twist alarm went off and she asked me if I thought he was gonna reveal as a bad guy, but I just knew the show was too good for that.

The ending might be too sweet for some but I loved it.

On 02/12/2020 at 21:22, Timmo said:
  Hide contents

This was my favourite thing about it! No ridiculous twists. It was like the anti-The Stranger. When her love interest came to see her at the end, my wife's twist alarm went off and she asked me if I thought he was gonna reveal as a bad guy, but I just knew the show was too good for that.

The ending might be too sweet for some but I loved it.

I'm pretty sure that they're just friends. :)

On 02/11/2020 at 23:22, Mawdlin said:

Finished and I can only echo what's been said. The lead characters were fantastic and the setting and attention to period detail brilliant.

If I have a couple of quibbles I found that dramatically it played it a bit safe and generally the story arc was very predictable; and only ever playing one game against an opponent (especially to win a world championship) felt odd.

If you enjoyed this I can highly recommend the following documentaries which are both gripping:

Game Over: Kasparov and the Machine

Bobby Fischer Against the World (or the book it's based on - Bobby Fischer Goes to War).

This and no draws were stretching the authenticity but it was brilliant overall.