The Queen's Gambit - Netflix new mini series (it's excellent!)

Watched it all today due to having a new boiler fitted and nothing else to do. Really fucking good. Just when I thought they'd fucked the final episode* it all came good. Now I want to play chess!

Spoiler

When Benny called, and then they showed it wasn't just Benny, but Dudley Dursley Harry as well, but not just those two, also the twins and Benny's mates... she was effectively being rescued, not by just one man, but a bunch of men, in a fucking basement ... I mean, are you fucking kidding me?!?

But then they ditch that, and have Beth doing what she does best, making the win hers and hers alone. Cracking television.

Spoiler

Loved her discovering Shaibel's clippings and Beth going through the boss rush at the end. Borgov was set up as this grim final challenge but him conceding and graciously handing her his king in defeat was a nice gesture.

Finished and I can only echo what's been said. The lead characters were fantastic and the setting and attention to period detail brilliant.

If I have a couple of quibbles I found that dramatically it played it a bit safe and generally the story arc was very predictable; and only ever playing one game against an opponent (especially to win a world championship) felt odd.

If you enjoyed this I can highly recommend the following documentaries which are both gripping:

Game Over: Kasparov and the Machine

Bobby Fischer Against the World (or the book it's based on - Bobby Fischer Goes to War).

On 02/11/2020 at 21:22, Mawdlin said:

Finished and I can only echo what's been said. The lead characters were fantastic and the setting and attention to period detail brilliant.

If I have a couple of quibbles I found that dramatically it played it a bit safe and generally the story arc was very predictable; and only ever playing one game against an opponent (especially to win a world championship) felt odd.

If you enjoyed this I can highly recommend the following documentaries which are both gripping:

Game Over: Kasparov and the Machine

Bobby Fischer Against the World (or the book it's based on - Bobby Fischer Goes to War).

Thanks for the recommendations. found the later on Youtube to view over the weekend.

Started to watch Searching for Bobby Fischer after finishing this superb show, surprised I haven't seen this film before as I'm as big fan of cinematographer Conrad L. Hall work.

Just one episode left. Now I've figured out how spoilers work 

Spoiler

I was genuinely upset at the end of episode 4. It felt inevitable she'd have a tragic end but they did a really good job of making her likeable and well intentioned while quite flawed as a parent. I hoped against hope she'd wind up with a happy ending somehow. 

Overall nothing about the plot or character development has been surprising but it really doesn't matter as it's so well acted and written.

Best series this year for me!

If you're into chess, then I suggesting watching this analysis of the Harmon v Borgov final.  Seems like the majority of it was based on an actual game and a bunch of grandmasters were involved in the series, making the chess playing feel authentic.

On 07/11/2020 at 09:59, SpagMasterSwift said:

It’s up there for TV of the year for me, absolutely loved it and so relieved it was solid throughout and nailed the ending.

I loved the ending - a wee bit cheesy but totally earned. Top marks to the actor who played Borgov, he was brilliant - indomitable, inscrutable, an absolute brick wall of Russian manhood. 

I have to agree with everyone, this came out of nowhere and has been a thrilling watch, from start to finish. I never though chess could be so gripping, and Anya Taylor-Joy was a magnetic screen presence. 

Episode 4 and 7 were real standouts, but it’s all killer and no filler without a doubt. A real triumph for all involved. 

I liked this quite a lot but definitely tailed off my interest in the second half. It all went a bit “chick flick” (for want of a better term, that’s what my wife used) with her being mean to various men and looking at pretty dresses. I mean, they were very stylish clothes and she’s very interesting to look at in them, it wasn’t bad, I just wasn’t as interested in the plot by this point. Picked up again towards the climax, somewhat. 

Spoiler

And then by the end she gets helped out by all these people, most of whom she’s been really shitty with but they forgive her, and hooray she’s the best. Maybe the point is that life isn’t fair and some people get helped through it, I dunno, or she earned it from her troubled childhood somehow.

It looked amazing throughout, that’s for sure.