Mark Kermode's review of Superbad

5 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

I like Kermode. 

He's good. 

All of Judd Apatow's films are weak. 

Amen, brother. Can't stand him or his husband Seth Rogen (not a gay joke, they just seem to be inseparable. And equally shit)

I take no issue with Kermode's reviews, at least he has an opinion and is able to verbalise it. As a 3rd party I can only assume he doesn't get bought out with his opinions and calls it how he sees it, swanky lunch or not.

I don't care if he doesn't rate a film I love

3 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Joint best alongside Lindy West’s review of the same film, I think.

https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/burkas-and-birkins/Content?oid=4132715

Kermode actually references it in his review. The opening paragraph alone scorched my eyebrows off when I first read it.

Honestly this is a strong contender for best thing ever written ever. 

8 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Joint best alongside Lindy West’s review of the same film, I think.

https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/burkas-and-birkins/Content?oid=4132715

Kermode actually references it in his review. The opening paragraph alone scorched my eyebrows off when I first read it.

SATC2 takes everything that I hold dear as a woman and as a human—working hard, contributing to society, not being an entitled cunt like it's my job—and rapes it to death with a stiletto that costs more than my car. It is 146 minutes long, which means that I entered the theater in the bloom of youth and emerged with a family of field mice living in my long, white mustache. This is an entirely inappropriate length for what is essentially a home video of gay men playing with giant Barbie dolls.

I'd never seen this before, fucking hell. :lol:

I'm going to use this thread to have a little bit of a Kermode moan.

I'm getting a little tired of him shouting about James Bond killing cinema. He's blaming that film more than the actual government for not supporting the arts and culture. But then he is a Tom Watson retweeting Never Corbyn Centrist so I suppose that goes with the territory.

His reviews are alright though. :lol:

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

But then he is a Tom Watson retweeting Never Corbyn Centrist so I suppose that goes with the territory.

Oh.

tenor.gif?itemid=5017155

Yes. 

I've just actually tried to go to Mark Kermode's Twitter and he's blocked me. :facepalm: what did you say it must have been something really bad I don't know I've not commented on there for like 3 weeks and the last time I looked was about 2 weeks ago. 

Unless he read this thread. 

Okay, actually I took a screen grab of my comment. In terms of criticising Kermode's review of Where to Invade Next I thought I slipped it in okay, but I took a photo so obviously I wasn't sure. So Kermode I think tweeted a comment/link to a review of Capital In The 21st Century, the documentary based on the book. 

Screenshot_20200928-030237_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b7f7aba319e67940d08ac33e1fd7f45e.jpg

Screenshot_20200928-030241_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fcef53e21f6ca99c4076cbaf4ec6c2b2.jpg

This is really upsetting, if I wasn't already sat down I might have to sit down. I've never been blocked before, I've only been using twitter for 4 months but still. Blocked by my hero guy I've listened to talk about films for 13 years. And there's no even forum empathy upvote option to comfort me, let me know everyone cares and is thinking of me in my time of need. I cannot bare the thought my hero critic whose reviews I listen to would read my words to him and think on some level 'who does this guy think he is fuck this guy' *spit* 

How am I going to refer to Kermode's twitter now after listening to his podcast where -after saying how deeply weird Charlie Kaufman fans are- I have to go check to see that's not really true. This is..a nightmare. I'm getting flashbacks to those difficult few days of uncertainty after Sid Lowe made a tweet in Spanish and I replied 'I'm not going to learn Spanish just to read your tweets' then thought oh no what have I done. Thankfully, that didn't compare to reminding someone when it comes to politics they're spineless. 

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

But then he is a Tom Watson retweeting Never Corbyn Centrist so I suppose that goes with the territory.

Ha, is this true? I’ve always suspected he was a little turd for no real reason, so it’s good to see my sound judgement confirmed.

41 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Ha, is this true? I’ve always suspected he was a little turd for no real reason, so it’s good to see my sound judgement confirmed.

I would never lie to you Zok.

And as also mentioned above, he's incredibly thin skinned when it comes to criticism of himself.

28 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I would never lie to you Zok.

And as also mentioned above, he's incredibly thin skinned when it comes to criticism of himself.

I'll always be a fan, but its the thin skin that really annoys me. He just comes across quite petty and childish with it sometimes. I guess having an army of fans on twitter telling you how great you are will do that to you.

5 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Wait, I don't read any of his twitter ranting, but I always thought he was a crusty old trot.

Is he actually a Change UK guy?

He doesn't so much rant, but he'll endlessly retweet praise, but if he gets one bad review he'll tweet about it for days in a bit of a sulk.

15 minutes ago, K said:

Is the subset of Labour he belongs to relevant to whether or not you enjoy his opinions on films?

No, but it’s entirely relevant to whether he’s a scumbag or not.

And it’s been qualified he’s a scumbag.

7 minutes ago, Benny said:

Incredibly, for a film critic's opinions to be useful to me, I'm a bit more interested in their praise of Ghibli films than if I want to meet them for a politically charged Nandos.

Sadly Benny those days are over. If you lived through GE2019, the only remaining cultural question is ‘Corbyn: For or Against?’

On that, you may formulate your line of attack.

At risk of taking this back to the original point, I don't remember Superbad being that...bad. There were a few childish gross-out moments as in all Apatow films but nothing too offensive. The point is they were losers too who ended up getting the girls so I don't really get Kermode's rage at it. Having said that he doesn't go Full Kermode, seems to save that for the really offensive shit.

I thought Superbad was great, and as a rule I hate anything with Seth Rogan in, with these notable exceptions:

1) Freaks and Geeks

2) Donnie Darko

3) That stupid one where a demonic apocalypse happens while they are having a Hollywood party