Kākāpō Run - The first game from Quantum Shift Studios

This loads really quickly on my phone, and so the main menu with the Support iron flashes by before I can click it. I can't seem to find how to get back to it, what an I missing? 

Game is great, will install it on my kids' phones. They love this sort of game, but they're usually horrendous ad fests that I've had to Pi Hole. 

17 minutes ago, TehStu said:

This loads really quickly on my phone, and so the main menu with the Support iron flashes by before I can click it. I can't seem to find how to get back to it, what an I missing? 

Game is great, will install it on my kids' phones. They love this sort of game, but they're usually horrendous ad fests that I've had to Pi Hole. 

Play, Support, Survive is a moto the charity wanted to represent the game. 'Play' our game(s), 'Support' our cause (via pledges, on social media), help an EDGE species 'Survive' by raising awareness of the cause.

To Share - Die 3 times on any level after the tutorial you will be asked to 'share' the game on social media to skip the level. If you do this it won't ask you again, if you do get stuck again (hopefully not too many times) you'll get the option to skip the level without posting to social again.

To Pledge - On the last level of the game you'll be asked to pledge - it's a different message to the 'share' from earlier - so doing both posts two different messages + (Video on FB/Insta - image on Twitter). Once you do this you get to do a final level which is homage to so many games, but Halo 3 immediately comes to mind with the Warthog dash at the end. 

Pleased the loading is nice and fast, no server auth required either. The loading for the levels is also instant, I had intended to put the mission requirements there but the charity requested some 'loading messages' instead. 

Ads are most certainly the plague of mobile games. I was pleased when On The Edge said they didn't want them. 

I haven't got a device to play it on (so I'll bump your thread instead), but it looks cool. And I love a Kakapo - gorgeous critters.

Congrats for getting your first project finished though - it's such a hard thing to do. (I'll be pushing back the release date of my next game for about the 5th time very shortly - it was originally due to launch in about June. It'll be lucky to scrape out this year, I reckon).

I’ve downloaded it to my iPhone SE (1st gen) but I’m getting no sound. Game plays nicely though. I will add it to my daughters iPhone. My younger kids have Fire tablets- Any plans for it to come to the Amazon AppStore?

Minor thing - when you fail a few times (turns out, I didn't need to try deliberately) to share support to Twitter, the pin you enter after allowing the game access to yourTwitter account can't be pasted into the game. 

5 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

I’ve downloaded it to my iPhone SE (1st gen) but I’m getting no sound. Game plays nicely though. I will add it to my daughters iPhone. My younger kids have Fire tablets- Any plans for it to come to the Amazon AppStore?

You using the silence switch on the iPhone? - might be why, do let me know though I'll look into it. Is that the latest SE?

3 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

It's actually quite hard to collect the EDGE letters as you have to avoid picking up feathers or you'll never get far enough. 

Nice little game though. 

Some of them are harder than others, Forest Edge letters especially level one can be tricky, later levels are easier as you can manage the progress of other missions more easily.

58 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Minor thing - when you fail a few times (turns out, I didn't need to try deliberately) to share support to Twitter, the pin you enter after allowing the game access to yourTwitter account can't be pasted into the game. 

I've tested this extensively on iOS and android and whist it's a little more fiddly than I would like I've always got it to work. What device and OS you on @TehStu

13 hours ago, MarkN said:

I haven't got a device to play it on (so I'll bump your thread instead), but it looks cool. And I love a Kakapo - gorgeous critters.

Congrats for getting your first project finished though - it's such a hard thing to do. (I'll be pushing back the release date of my next game for about the 5th time very shortly - it was originally due to launch in about June. It'll be lucky to scrape out this year, I reckon).

Thanks for the bump, very much appreciated :) We were supposed to global launch in June, finished in July then everything went slow for a bit over the summer, then we were asked to integrate FB and Insta SDKs and a few other bits and pieces. Finished all that in August...

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

Thanks for the twitter share @TehStu

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

I've tested this extensively on iOS and android and whist it's a little more fiddly than I would like I've always got it to work. What device and OS you on @TehStu

Android 10, Note 9 (Verizon). It's only a minor quirk, it was easy enough to tab back and forth to enter it. 

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

You using the silence switch on the iPhone? - might be why, do let me know though I'll look into it. Is that the latest SE?

Turning off the silent switch did the job, thanks. I’m on the old SE. 

3 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

That's a quirk of Unity 'respecting' the silent switch. Pleased it was an easy fix though.

13 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Android 10, Note 9 (Verizon). It's only a minor quirk, it was easy enough to tab back and forth to enter it. 

That is odd, something to do with the Samsung UI layer on-top of Android maybe - What I do is copy the text from the Twitter oAuth page. Then tap the code area in Kakapo Run which brings up the keyboard and text field, long press in the text field to bring up paste - done. This has worked on my 1+6TME everytime. 

Thanks for the extra effort though, tabing back and forth is a pita!

8 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

Yeah must try harder at this reading thing - what gen iphone se is again... lol 

Pleased it works on the old SE that's effectively the lowest spec device it runs on I think except for maybe some old ipads...

I can't get it to work.  I'm on a XS Max with the lastest iOS 14 public beta, and the screen goes black for a few seconds before it then crashes back to the phone's home screen.

I have rebooted my phone to no avail.

12 hours ago, Stejay said:

I can't get it to work.  I'm on a XS Max with the lastest iOS 14 public beta, and the screen goes black for a few seconds before it then crashes back to the phone's home screen.

Hmmm, that's not good, it could be something about the beta.

On 26/10/2020 at 08:27, Stejay said:

No issues on my iPad Pro or daughters iPhone 11 though. Great work.

Yeah we have a batch of iOS devices here and it works fine. I suspect it's something to do with the beta. Keep me posted if an update to the beta fixes the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I missed that there was a new birb game out. And it's New Zealand's bird of the year

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/16/kakapo-the-worlds-fattest-parrot-named-new-zealands-bird-of-the-year-for-2020?utm_medium

“The things that make kākāpō unique also make them vulnerable to threats. They are slow breeders, they nest on the ground and their main defence is to imitate a shrub."

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2020 at 11:09, Stejay said:

Sadly this made it out into the wild, the latest iOS release kills the game. It's fixed in an update that should be out soon. Currently 'Waiting for Review' :(