Has anyone here ever sold their retro gaming collection as a job lot? If so did you do it through ebay or other means? I'm thinking of trying to get rid of a heap of stuff at once as I really don't have the time or the energy to sell it all seperatly but would like rid of it as I just don't use any of it now. I know I would get more selling seperatly, but Iiterally have hundreds of games to sell so that's not an avenue I want to go down. I think I would sell it by format but that's as far as I have got in figuring out a plan of action . I know of a couple of guys locally that may be interested but I'm not too sure how serious they are. 

I'm interested to hear any personal experiences (good or bad) and any advice. 

Do you have a decent Saturn collection?

I sold off my sizeable collection about 7 years ago but keep getting a burning desire to buy an instant Saturn collection 

35 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

Has anyone here ever sold their retro gaming collection as a job lot? If so did you do it through ebay or other means? I'm thinking of trying to get rid of a heap of stuff at once as I really don't have the time or the energy to sell it all seperatly but would like rid of it as I just don't use any of it now. I know I would get more selling seperatly, but Iiterally have hundreds of games to sell so that's not an avenue I want to go down. I think I would sell it by format but that's as far as I have got in figuring out a plan of action . I know of a couple of guys locally that may be interested but I'm not too sure how serious they are. 

I'm interested to hear any personal experiences (good or bad) and any advice. 

I drove from Suffolk to Carlisle to meet up with @plateofchipsa couple of weeks back, he'd made part of the journey down from his neck of the woods with his bulky collection, we'd agreed a price beforehand and sorted payment through transfer once we;d met up ( socially distaced of course ), always happy to take bulk lots if we can agree on a deal, as ALL I have is time and energy for selling shit :-p

It’s all about time, if you have it then sell in bundles and sell any rare games on their own. List on here what you have to sell there are quite a few collectors. Good luck!

I did this a couple of years ago.

Catalogued my entire collection and got in touch with a few sellers I was aware of and ended up selling my entire retro collection to Console Passion down in Blackpool. They are the guys who do the Play retro expos and Blackpool, Manchester and Glasgow and they were going to use some of it for the shows and some they were going to sell online.

Agreed a price and as they were Blackpool and I'm Aberdeen we met in the middle at a service station car park just south of Glasgow and did the deal.

They were good to deal with and no issues. Think the biggest problem with job lots is how to get them from the seller to the buyer really.

Not sure what the Console Passion/Play situation is like at the moment what with Covid, obviously can't be running and shows at the moment.

21 minutes ago, memories said:

I did this a couple of years ago.

Catalogued my entire collection and got in touch with a few sellers I was aware of and ended up selling my entire retro collection to Console Passion down in Blackpool. They are the guys who do the Play retro expos and Blackpool, Manchester and Glasgow and they were going to use some of it for the shows and some they were going to sell online.

Agreed a price and as they were Blackpool and I'm Aberdeen we met in the middle at a service station car park just south of Glasgow and did the deal.

They were good to deal with and no issues. Think the biggest problem with job lots is how to get them from the seller to the buyer really.

Not sure what the Console Passion/Play situation is like at the moment what with Covid, obviously can't be running and shows at the moment.

Andy's a good bloke, he also runs the " Video Game Market" in Doncaster, @Skull Commander, that might also be an option, they are still saying the March event is going ahead ( well, it's advertised at the very least ) , so carting it down and doing a stall for the day would be an alternative idea :)

A rule of thumb is the price you get will cascade down along with the ease of sale, so just think about what you’re happiest with.

If you don’t have much time then maybe consider putting your collection into different console themed bundles.  That way collectors are more likely to make offers that will have a fairer price, rather than dealers who will push you down to make a profit.

it may also be worth checking for any super valuable games, just in case you have something worth a lot without realising.  I flagged a couple to that nice guy who was selling his friend’s collection recently.
Just ask here for advice on price, many of us have helped with that in the past.

53 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Andy's a good bloke, he also runs the " Video Game Market" in Doncaster, @Skull Commander, that might also be an option, they are still saying the March event is going ahead ( well, it's advertised at the very least ) , so carting it down and doing a stall for the day would be an alternative idea :)

Yeah it was Andy I dealt with and met in Glasgow, was great to deal with.

2 hours ago, gospvg said:

It’s all about time, if you have it then sell in bundles and sell any rare games on their own. List on here what you have to sell there are quite a few collectors. Good luck!

Yeah, and plenty of us know one format or another.  I'd be able to pick out any SMS games worth selling separately in a heartbeat for instance.

Cheers for all replies so far :)

I think bundles by format is the way to go. I have super famicom/ American snes (roughly about 150 games), psp, gba, ds, some ps1 and likely some other bits and pieces. I know there is some more desirable games in there and I used to know the value of most of the stuff, but I'm a little out of the loop now. 

In terms of the value of a bundle, how would you guys do it? Take the going rate and half it?? Some other way? 

Also I am in Aberdeen for those that wondered. 

41 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

In terms of the value of a bundle, how would you guys do it? Take the going rate and half it?? Some other way?

I usually take the going rate on ebay and knock 30% for forums/friends etc if it does not sell then list on ebay.

Like I said list here first you will find buyers.

23 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I drove from Suffolk to Carlisle to meet up with @plateofchipsa couple of weeks back, he'd made part of the journey down from his neck of the woods with his bulky collection, we'd agreed a price beforehand and sorted payment through transfer once we;d met up ( socially distaced of course ), always happy to take bulk lots if we can agree on a deal, as ALL I have is time and energy for selling shit :-p

Yep and he didn't even hold it against me when I completely forgot one of the most expensive boxes (and we weren't able to check them all at the time due to aforementioned distancing) and had to courier it down a few days later! Thankfully it showed up!

My own incompetence aside, it was definitely much less hassle than selling it all separately. Everyone will be different in terms of how much they're prepared to accept for the bulk option (or "lose" as you may think of it compared to selling separately - not that you're losing anything really if you're not using it and it's languishing in boxes, but you get my point) but I was just glad to shift it for a mutually acceptable amount.

13 minutes ago, plateofchips said:

Yep and he didn't even hold it against me when I completely forgot one of the most expensive boxes (and we weren't able to check them all at the time due to aforementioned distancing) and had to courier it down a few days later! Thankfully it showed up!

My own incompetence aside, it was definitely much less hassle than selling it all separately. Everyone will be different in terms of how much they're prepared to accept for the bulk option (or "lose" as you may think of it compared to selling separately - not that you're losing anything really if you're not using it and it's languishing in boxes, but you get my point) but I was just glad to shift it for a mutually acceptable amount.

I've barely got through half that stuff, it's now taking up space at mine instead of yours, and half of what I have sorted through has made it to my house instead of for work related stuff.

In time related matters, I can usually list around 50 items per day, with research, pictures and all the required gubbins to get them up on eBay, without needing to add time to post out anything taking time away from that, and that's 50/day without having any other chores / work to do.

I guess the rule is, if you've got the time, get them split individually and maximise your price per sale, if you've got some time, split out the top titles, list those and sell the rest in formats for speed, or if you can't be arsed, sell it all to someone who is going to sell it on themselves, but that will be A) the easiest thing to do, but B) see the least amount of cash, as someone taking on that work will want to make it worth their time.

11 hours ago, plateofchips said:

Everyone will be different in terms of how much they're prepared to accept for the bulk option (or "lose" as you may think of it compared to selling separately - not that you're losing anything really if you're not using it and it's languishing in boxes, but you get my point) but I was just glad to shift it for a mutually acceptable amount.

I think that's a very good point. It's not about what you're missing out on by selling it all separately, it's what you're gaining by actually getting rid of it.

I've got a fair amount of stuff I want to get rid of at the mo, but the way I'm wired up is that I don't like selling stuff until there's something I specifically want to put it towards, so I've just got a pile on my floor that's slowly growing :P

Even with the price rises of everything this year, Sonic is £12 in CEX, so £14 delivered at the absolute outside.

I bet he ended up selling it for £10 several shows later.

3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Even with the price rises of everything this year, Sonic is £12 in CEX, so £14 delivered at the absolute outside.

A running theme of the day was "I wish I'd done a sweep of the place first because your prices are insane". Someone offered to buy my Paper Mario off me for £40 (I had it marked at £60). I told him that if he could find it cheaper than £60 I'd sell it to him for £30 (I knew he wouldn't because everyone else was selling it for £80+. He came back an hour later and handed the cash over.

I get that you want to make a profit when you're trading games, but so many traders seem to take the mickey at these events (possible due to having an immediate audience). On the other hand, Andy's prices on console passion were solid and there's a guy called Alan selling Japanese games who offered good deals too, so they do exist.

51 minutes ago, strider said:

I recommend the videogame market if you can manage it.

I went to one the year before last I believe and even after the cost of the table and travel I still effortlessly cleared £1000 and made some much-needed space.

You then have the added bonus of dumping everything on a dedicated seller at the end of the day to clear it up. Another nice side effect was seeing how angry sellers were getting.

One seller came over to my stall before it opened offering me £5 for my Sonic Adventure (which I had at £10).

"Go on mate, it's for my daughter he said. I've been looking everywhere for it." It's obviously laughable that a seller couldn't find a copy of one of the most common Sonic games, but I stood firm and said he could have it for a tenner, which he paid.

He then walked over to his stall and, without breaking eye contact with me, put a sticker on it, placed it with his other stock and went back to behind his stall.

I walked over at the end of the day and noticed it was still there (of course it was, he had it for £25). "Don't worry, I cheerfully called to him, at least your daughter can play it now".

He's spent most of the day exclaiming loudly how private sellers were ruining his honest day's work, despite the fact his prices were higher than you'd get stuff on eBay for.

You'll have seen me year before last then, gobby Southerner, Pony tail, me, my missus and 3 mates on 10 tables ( I had 4 of them ), prices were reasonable, and was ALWAYS happy to haggle, infact, I even haggled some people down by myself :-p

47 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Nah, probably still has it, some of the traders there go to all the shows, week in week out, they'll know that they sold it once for £25, so might do it again, and that's enough for them to hang on to it at that price, me... at VGM, I want shit to sell, so if it's not a piss take offer ( Like the one Strider got for Paper Mario... £40? Pfft ! ), you're likely to get it, I wanna see that cold hard cash, it's my bootsale money for the next year ;)

39 minutes ago, strider said:

A running theme of the day was "I wish I'd done a sweep of the place first because your prices are insane". Someone offered to buy my Paper Mario off me for £40 (I had it marked at £60). I told him that if he could find it cheaper than £60 I'd sell it to him for £30 (I knew he wouldn't because everyone else was selling it for £80+. He came back an hour later and handed the cash over.

I get that you want to make a profit when you're trading games, but so many traders seem to take the mickey at these events (possible due to having an immediate audience). On the other hand, Andy's prices on console passion were solid and there's a guy called Alan selling Japanese games who offered good deals too, so they do exist.

Alan is great, we were next to him the year before the year before, when it was proper crappy weather and snow made a good ew sellers bail out, he made it down from Scotland just fine, proper trooper, and he bought my Mario 3DS standee holder thing off me, so quids in :p

Absolutely @MikeBeaver you can tell the people who are selling at sensible prices because it's impossible to get to their stalls :P

The way I was selling my stuff was looking at what something sold for on eBay then knocking off the seller and postage fees. I do wonder as well if some people put all the big ticket stuff up just as a way to attract people to their stalls.

It was definitely a fun day with a great atmosphere and it feels great knowing you won't be taking hardly anything home (as a private seller).

Just now, strider said:

Absolutely @MikeBeaver you can tell the people who are selling at sensible prices because it's impossible to get to their stalls :P

The way I was selling my stuff was looking at what something sold for on eBay then knocking off the seller and postage fees. I do wonder as well if some people put all the big ticket stuff up just as a way to attract people to their stalls.

It was definitely a fun day with a great atmosphere and it feels great knowing you won't be taking hardly anything home (as a private seller).

Yeah, ou're right there, some things I had marked up at bang on eBay prices, as they actually were hard to find ( Panzer Dragoon Saga, Deep Fear, Baku Baku Animal on Game Gear boxed and they lived in a glass cabinet ), others, more common rarities, all of those were cheaper than the shabbiest eBay boxed title ( I only ever take boxed stuff to VGM ) and for the most part, people are happier that they can inspect the games in person, although researching prices, putting them in poly seal bags is also time consuming, and sometimes you don't get the prices right, as I found out a few times :(

Am I thinking of the same Andy? He was also in the print business so usually has some vinyl banners and other prints on his stall. I think he lives around the Blackpool area, I see him at all the shows and have a bit of a chat, his wife also does car boots and all the dross that isn't good enough for Andy's stall ends up there.