atLwCDI4fWZrMlIpaGL1YTLyiGq7ND_large.jpg

I recently picked up this gorgeous Lone Wolf and Cub boxset on Criterion Blu Ray. I've read and enjoyed bits of the manga without getting too far, but that cover art really caught my eye and a couple of glowing reviews sealed it. It's a six-film collection and I've just watched the first, Sword of Vengeance.

It's very 70s, quite exploitative stuff, blood spraying, limbs flying, salaciousness; I'm certain Tarantino will be a massive fan. It's rather good fun, though, and beautifully shot, at times. You can see the directorial influence of some of the more sombre Japanese samurai classics, but it reminds me much more of peak Shaw Brothers stuff - lurid, crowd-pleasing, larger than life. 

Anyone seen any of these? I'm looking forward to watching the whole series, at this point. 

I've seen the cobbled together film they made out of the first two films for the West (Shogun Assassin) and I have a DVD box set of the whole series but haven't watched any of them yet. I forgot Criterion put that out actually, I might have to get that to replace the DVD set.

Edit: as for Tarantino, don't Uma Thurman's character and the daugher sit and watch Shogun Assassin in Kill Bill?

I also have only seen Shogun Assassin which I've always thought to be fantastic, so much so that I'm surprised that I've never sought out the films proper.

I can see myself picking this set up before the week's out as now i have a need to see them all properly so thanks for the reminder of it's existence. 

I got the DVD set years ago. My memory has lost details, but I remember enjoying them. Not seen the Shogun Assassin version, which was also in the DVD set. I think the originals are supposed to be slower paced, with Shogun Assassin concentrating on the action scenes and putting two movies worth into one. 

I've seen them (on this set) and they're basically all great - if you enjoyed the first you'll dig them all. I remember watching Shogun Assassin back on VHS, when VIPCO put it out as part of its uncut* video nasties range. I was expecting something schlocky and kind of crap, but even though it's a mashup of the first two movies it really works and I was very impressed with it.

*cut

5 hours ago, Marlew said:

I've read and enjoyed bits of the manga without getting too far

The comics are magnificent. The way it maintains a gradual ebb and flow, with each grandiose climax being even more histrionic and epic than the last is really something to behold.

And then after that got published nobody could be bothered translating manga properly any more and now you’re expected to read backwards. Fuck that for a game of soldiers.

I got this set about a year ago and watched them all. They’re fantastic. I was previously only aware of them through Shogun Assassin, but the originals are every bit as good. And the quality doesn’t dip throughout. Had a blast with all of them.

35 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Uz0Zwrcm.jpg

Tell me you've found the little hidden compartment, in the inner spine of the slipbox. 

That’s amazing. I’ve owned this for a year and had no idea that was there.

Just watched the second, Baby Cart at the River Styx, and it's fucking great. What a discovery these films are (for me). There's something so much comforting about a bit of a pedestrian build up for ten minutes, a few shots of the natural world, and then jugulars spraying for the next eighty. Superb entertainment. 

I collected all of these on Region 1 DVD when they were first released on disc by Animeigo over a decade ago (I just looked. 2003. Bloody hell I didn't think it was that long ago!). I bloody loved them. They also released a remastered Shogun Assassin 1+2.i think 2 was cobbled together from the second and third. Hard to believe that Shogun Assassin was one of original banned Video Nasties in the UK. The music was awesome too. You're in for a treat@

I need to buy that Criterion set now!

@Hanzo the Razor I've only ever heard of them via your username! If they're in this ballpark, I'll be all over them next month.

And yeah, totally agree on the music front. Very 70s but again carrying something of the 1950s samurai forefathers with the score. Absolutely ripping through these, great fun. 

I looked up Shintaro Katsu when I got the Zatoichi boxset ages ago. Between 1960 and 1979, he starred in 25 Zatoichi movies, plus 100 TV episodes of it, the Hanzo the Razor movies, 6 Hoodlum Soldier movies, 17 Akumyo movies, several other movies and produced the Lone Wolf and Cub movies, starring his brother. I guess he was somehow too busy to star in those ones himself.

2 hours ago, Marlew said:

@Hanzo the Razor I've only ever heard of them via your username! If they're in this ballpark, I'll be all over them next month.

And yeah, totally agree on the music front. Very 70s but again carrying something of the 1950s samurai forefathers with the score. Absolutely ripping through these, great fun. 

Hanzo is played by the brother of the guy who plays Ogami Ito. They're a bit more tongue in cheek.

Spoiler

Let's just say he takes good care of his equipment. And he has a unique style of interrogation.

They were made around the same times LWAC. I still have my Region 1 DVD set but I think there are Blurays available somewhere.

• 1 month later...
On 23/11/2020 at 00:42, Monkeyboy said:

Lone Wolf and Cub Criterion collection has dropped to 35 quid on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lone-Wolf-Criterion-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B01N30QO1I/

Also, Zatoichi Criterion box set has dropped by 45 quid!! https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N3RHHVH/

£35 quid? You'll do for me Tommy! I can't wait to watch these again!

2 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

£35 quid? You'll do for me Tommy! I can't wait to watch these again!

Make sure you scour the Lone Wolf and Cub box to find the secret compartment! Such a cool little extra by Criterion!