Redownloading the PT Demo (PS4)

I lost the PT demo from my PS4 when I replaced the hard drive.  There are many guides online for redownloading but none of them worked for me.  In the end, I came up with this combination of steps from 3 different guides online and it worked so I thought it might be of interest. Here's what worked for me.

1 - Switch off Windows Defender real time anti-virus on your PC.

2 - Download this:  http://www.mediafire.com/file/mphoisrlmrotmgy/SUWI20201014.exe/file

3 - Panic about viruses and wonder what the hell you're doing, risking your PC for the sake of an old demo.

4 - Type CMD into the search box at the bottom of the windows desktop.

5 - in the CMD window that opens, type IPCONFIG

6 - Look for your PC Wifi IP address and make a note of it.

7 - Right Click on the SUWI20201014 file you downloaded and run it as administrator. You should get a black CMD box on screen confirming that SUWI is working.

8 - Set up an internet connection on your PS4 as usual, but select CUSTOM instead of easy.  Use default / easy settings for everything until you get to the PROXY settings, select CUSTOM, and use the IP address you noted down earlier, and port 808.

9 - complete the network setup on the PS4 and make sure it says you were successful at the end.

10 - Go into the software library on the PS4, and find the icon for PT and redownload it.

11 - delete the SUWI stuff off your PC, reactivate the antivirus, maybe have a scan just to check.

12 - change your network settings on PS4 back to normal.

Well, it worked for me, but I can't help feeling it's a bit silly to turn off the virus protection just to play PT again.... but it did work and so there's the info if anyone else wants to do it.

4 hours ago, Darwock said:

This only works if you had originally downloaded it from the store, right? Or can you get it if you missed it completely?

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

Yes you had to have downloaded it before.

Well I never downloaded originally (I didn't even have a PS4 then) but I managed to get it using this method when I bought a PS4 Pro about a year and a half ago.

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

Well I never downloaded originally (I didn't even have a PS4 then) but I managed to get it using this method when I bought a PS4 Pro about a year and a half ago.

ooh that's interesting, seeing as ps4s with PT on sell second hand.  But how do you follow that process because the last bit is to go into your purchase library and redownload it from there?   Is it still in the store?

5 minutes ago, Meat said:

PT?

A demo by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro, promoting a creepy as fuck forthcoming instalment of Silent Hill. Seeing what Kojima's take on Silent Hill could have been is an experience in itself but the game was cancelled and the demo (as far as I know) is the only thing to be fully removed from the PSN store.  That is to say, even if you downloaded it when it was available you can't redownload it after, say hard drive swapping or repair.

On 18/10/2020 at 12:31, Uncle Mike said:

There has to be a way to do that without actively disabling your PC's protection. What's the SUWI software actually doing?

From reading a guide, the original P.T. files have been removed from PSN, but have been uploaded by some enterprising people. SUWI sets up a proxy IP on your PC and you change your PS4 proxy settings to point at that. Then you tell the PS4 to download P.T. - it's retrieved by your PC from the non-Sony host and piped to the PS4 which doesn't know the data hasn't come from Sony's servers.

Just FYI if you have it downloaded on a PS4 and use an ethernet cable to transfer data to another PS4, it stays intact and playable that way too.

It's gone from my launch PS4 > Matte PS4 > Launch PS4 Pro > Last of Us 2 Pro.

Naturally I've not touched it since 2014 despite going to the effort to keep it.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

From reading a guide, the original P.T. files have been removed from PSN, but have been uploaded by some enterprising people. SUWI sets up a proxy IP on your PC and you change your PS4 proxy settings to point at that. Then you tell the PS4 to download P.T. - it's retrieved by your PC from the non-Sony host and piped to the PS4 which doesn't know the data hasn't come from Sony's servers.

Interesting , thanks for that.  Do you know why Windows doesn't let you download SUWI without disabling protection?  Is it just because you're downloading an EXE and it thinks that you shouldn't be doing that?

@dumpster Thank you so much for doing this, it's on my todo list as my PS4 Pro HDD died recently. I looked at a guide and wondered if it would work as the guy who wrote it was US based and mentioned having to modify the EU files to work on the US account... Looked like a fail to me.

I assume you are doing this on UK account?

2 minutes ago, Quexex said:

@dumpster Thank you so much for doing this, it's on my todo list as my PS4 Pro HDD died recently. I looked at a guide and wondered if it would work as the guy who wrote it was US based and mentioned having to modify the EU files to work on the US account... Looked like a fail to me.

I assume you are doing this on UK account?

Yes , UK account.

39 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Interesting , thanks for that.  Do you know why Windows doesn't let you download SUWI without disabling protection?  Is it just because you're downloading an EXE and it thinks that you shouldn't be doing that?

No idea I'm afraid. SUWI appears to be an installer for the Squid proxy software, so perhaps it's an unsigned package (I'm guessing at this point, I'm in Mac-land) and Windows Defender doesn't like it.

Apparently you can also achieve the same thing on a Mac, using Squidman. Might try it later; I played through P.T. with my wife, and one of the jumps made us both shout out, waking our daughter who came downstairs to check we were okay and hadn't been murdered. :facepalm:

On 18/10/2020 at 12:02, dumpster said:

I lost the PT demo from my PS4 when I replaced the hard drive.  There are many guides online for redownloading but none of them worked for me.  In the end, I came up with this combination of steps from 3 different guides online and it worked so I thought it might be of interest. Here's what worked for me.

1 - Switch off Windows Defender real time anti-virus on your PC.

2 - Download this:  http://www.mediafire.com/file/mphoisrlmrotmgy/SUWI20201014.exe/file

3 - Panic about viruses and wonder what the hell you're doing, risking your PC for the sake of an old demo.

4 - Type CMD into the search box at the bottom of the windows desktop.

5 - in the CMD window that opens, type IPCONFIG

6 - Look for your PC Wifi IP address and make a note of it.

7 - Right Click on the SUWI20201014 file you downloaded and run it as administrator. You should get a black CMD box on screen confirming that SUWI is working.

8 - Set up an internet connection on your PS4 as usual, but select CUSTOM instead of easy.  Use default / easy settings for everything until you get to the PROXY settings, select CUSTOM, and use the IP address you noted down earlier, and port 808.

9 - complete the network setup on the PS4 and make sure it says you were successful at the end.

10 - Go into the software library on the PS4, and find the icon for PT and redownload it.

11 - delete the SUWI stuff off your PC, reactivate the antivirus, maybe have a scan just to check.

12 - change your network settings on PS4 back to normal.

Well, it worked for me, but I can't help feeling it's a bit silly to turn off the virus protection just to play PT again.... but it did work and so there's the info if anyone else wants to do it.

I wouldn't do this, chrome marked it as unsafe, I marked to keep it and then Norton went nuts and quarantined it.

--edit-- just looked up what's happening, i'll see if i can put something together, but you will need to have downloaded the demo from the PS store previously to have a licence acquired.

• 2 weeks later...