Playing Mario 64 for the first time

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

Yes but ... Doom isn't owned by Nintendo (in fact didn't ID open source Doom, which is what led to all of those ports - ZDoom , OpenDoom etc?)

How has whoever is behind this avoided being nuked from orbit by Nintendo lawyers?

Nintendo can't do squat about source code derived from a reverse engineering project. It's not Nintendo's property (unlike the actual source code which was leaked recently).

However distribution of compiled binaries do usually include the ROM (or its assets) and Nintendo have every right to shut these down, from what I understand.

Got it working! Yay!

Discovered it gives me motion sickness! Boo!

I am stressed at the mo, which doesn't help. So I may give it another go in a few weeks.

Follow me for more threads about games I can't play.

On the bright side, I have installed SNES9X on my laptop, download Super Mario World and got my 360 pad working with it. My team are going to wonder why I'm so quiet during team meetings.

Thanks to a kind forum member, I have just played an hour or so on SM64 PC and it is glorious.  It just works and plays so well.

I got to 20 power stars and decided to leave it there.  I'd been saving in game as I went along and thought I'd just check that progress had saved by closing and reopening the app and lo and behold, no save data.  :facepalm: 

Any suggestions on what I did wrong here?  Thanks.

14 hours ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

OK, sorted by running as administrator.  Guess I'll have 'fun' getting those 20 stars again. 

Maybe you downloaded it into an area that you need to have elevated/admin status. Shouldn't need to run it as an administrator though.

56 minutes ago, merman said:

Been playing the remastered version on Super Mario 3D All-Stars...

It's still a great game. But boy there are some clunky design choices.

Anything in particular?

I've completed more this year than I did back in 1997. The main grips i have with it are control wise - walking across narrow platforms is just way more difficult than it should be. The camera mostly is okay but not so great in rainbow ride and some of the stars can be a bit ambiguous if you don't know what you are doing.

I really wanted a remake of Mario 64 but i just don't feel people would accept it nowadays since a lot of these issues make the game what it is today.

On 20/10/2020 at 11:52, Darhkwing said:

Anything in particular?

I've completed more this year than I did back in 1997. The main grips i have with it are control wise - walking across narrow platforms is just way more difficult than it should be. The camera mostly is okay but not so great in rainbow ride and some of the stars can be a bit ambiguous if you don't know what you are doing.

I really wanted a remake of Mario 64 but i just don't feel people would accept it nowadays since a lot of these issues make the game what it is today.

The camera is the main one. But things like

- how long Mario is out of control when on fire

- positioning coins so close to big falls/drops

- the lack of signposting/help with certain Stars

Don't get me wrong, it was still a big leap forward for 3D gaming at the time.

52 minutes ago, merman said:

The camera is the main one. But things like

- how long Mario is out of control when on fire

- positioning coins so close to big falls/drops

- the lack of signposting/help with certain Stars

Don't get me wrong, it was still a big leap forward for 3D gaming at the time.

You can actually control Mario when he gets hit by fire though if you know what you are doing. 

I completely agree about the coins though. Can be a pain. 

Funnily enough, most of the time the star name before you start the level gives it a way. But yeah there are certain stars where you can be scratching your head for a while.