IGNORED

Tell me your best Instant Pot™ recipes!

Jamie John

Ha yeh that ended up being a bit of a situation; someone mentioned copyright infringement because I posted the recipe and method. Then the author got involved too so I ended up taking the photo down, turns out I can use a photo of the book and the end result but not of the details themselves. 

One thing I've learnt so far from the book (and all Instant Pot recipes so far) though is to double the spice amounts, it tasted nice but could've had way more punch and flavour.

Had my first (semi) disaster this evening lol

Got some accessories for cooking pot-in-pot

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W98BSKL

Decided to cook Beef & Broccoli https://sweetandsavorymeals.com/instant-pot-beef-and-broccoli/

It's similar to the Mongolian Chicken and I thought I'd use the steamer basket and trivet to cook the broccoli and the rice at the same time as the beef.

The broccoli disintegrated and the rice didn't cook at all. Probably easier and quicker just to microwave the broccoli in future and next time actually add water to the rice instead of relying on steam from the cooking process.

Beef was excellent though lol

• 5 months later...

Finally got round to getting an instant pot, just used it for the first time to make a simple dahl https://spicecravings.com/chana-dal#recipe 

I've made a similar recipe before which requires soaking for 30 mins then boiling for 40mins while making the tadka. I was a bit put off at first as most of the instant pot recipes I was looking at still recommended pre-soaking, which is a level of planning that to me defeats the purpose of a pressure cooker. This one was very simple though. I wasn't sure how not having a separate tadka would affect the flavour but was pleasantly surprised. 

Next on the list is aubergine masala. One of the aims of buying this is to eat more vegetation/vegan meals so I'm trying to avoid the temptation of all the pork dishes I've seen looking back in this thread! 

• 8 months later...

This thread needs more love. I find myself making the same batches of stuff and the family eventually get sick of them. 

I have been making this kind of pie with the puff pastry for a while now, just not with the pressure cooker. Today I did a huge batch of the filling for freezing in the instant pot for the first time.

https://instantpoteats.com/instant-pot-chicken-pot-pie-two-ways/

I used chicken thigh meat but otherwise followed the recipe and it’s turned out very well. Recommended easy dinner. 

On 30/04/2022 at 16:35, Kingpin said:

This thread needs more love. I find myself making the same batches of stuff and the family eventually get sick of them. 

I have been making this kind of pie with the puff pastry for a while now, just not with the pressure cooker. Today I did a huge batch of the filling for freezing in the instant pot for the first time.

https://instantpoteats.com/instant-pot-chicken-pot-pie-two-ways/

I used chicken thigh meat but otherwise followed the recipe and it’s turned out very well. Recommended easy dinner. 

Cheers for this. Had leftover chicken from yesterday's roast and used it with the recipe today. Put the cooked chicken in the Instant Pot at the end instead of cooking with the veg. Turned out delicious!

And I have a few portions left over for the freezer

Spoiler

PXL_20220502_191253226.thumb.jpg.ed658d19e1c089ba64afef08f1cab13a.jpg

My favourite Instant Pot recipe at the moment is one adapted from the following though I have changed it quite a lot though:

Chickpea, tomato and spinach coconut curry

I use 120 gram of dried chickpeas that I soak for 24 hrs in place of a can

And 3 cubes of frozen spinach in place of the fresh

I also:

start by frying some mustard and cumin seeds before the onions

include some chopped mild chilli along with the ginger and garlic

replace the curry powder with turmeric, ground coriander, garam masala

I tend to use fresh small tomato chopped in half in place of the tinned tomato as well

From experience using a good coconut milk is really important, I ran out of nice Thai stuff and ended up using an aldi can one time and it tasted a lot different and no where near as nice.