Mass Effect Legendary Edition

It was like a horde mode, if I recall correctly - there was no real story or adventure element, it was just a series of combat challenges. It would have been great if it was ME2 DLC, but with ME1's wonky combat, it wasn't up to much. I don't think I ever finished it - it would be nice to have, but it's no great loss that it isn't in the remaster.

I didn’t even think twice about it when I saw the trailer. As far as I am concerned fem shep is now just shep. The other should be called random Dutch wanker shep. Without Jennifer’s work on this we would not be where we are in female protagonists support. She is one in a million.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

It's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward PS5 for this remaster rather than PC. HDR being the other one. If they manage to get HDR right at all, it'll be on console, not PC.

isn't your pc already connected to the TV to get HDR on either? I thought you said somewhere else it was. 

15 minutes ago, Oz said:

isn't your pc already connected to the TV to get HDR on either? I thought you said somewhere else it was. 

Yes, but there's a greater chance of devs getting it right on console compared to on PC. 

Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but Pinnacle Station isn't part of ME1 in this new edition. Turns out the source code was corrupt, they'd have to make it from scratch. I'm struggling to find any fucks to give, the DLC was shite apart from getting you some decent armour. 

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but Pinnacle Station isn't part of ME1 in this new edition. Turns out the source code was corrupt, they'd have to make it from scratch. I'm struggling to find any fucks to give, the DLC was shite apart from getting you some decent armour. 

I think I've played through ME six or seven times, and I've been to Pinnacle station once. And I stayed there for about ten minutes before I realised it was spectacularly shite.

A comparison of everyone's favourite space racist:

image5okj8k.jpg

image6oxj4w.jpg

Probably going to be one of the most transformed shots as they've totally changed the lighting on Eden Prime – presumably to make it actually seem idyllic – but it does give an idea of how things should generally look less 'flat'.

Can't say I'm a fan of them backporting ME3's default female Shepard into the previous games. Stylistically she doesn't gel, so this would have been a good opportunity to rectify that. Still, hopefully the improvements to character creation are meaningful.

1 minute ago, Ferine said:

A comparison of everyone's favourite space racist:

image5okj8k.jpg

image6oxj4w.jpg

Probably going to be one of the most transformed shots as they've totally changed the lighting on Eden Prime – presumably to make it actually seem idyllic – but it does give an idea of how things should generally look less 'flat'.

Can't say I'm a fan of them backporting ME3's default female Shepard into the previous games. Stylistically she doesn't gel, so this would have been a good opportunity to rectify that. Still, hopefully the improvements to character creation are meaningful.

I think I prefer the look of the original!

2 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

I think I prefer the look of the original!

That’s only because she has a helmet on. Take it off and it’s not a good look.

Not as bad as old Kaiden though...very keen to see the plastic surgery they’ve performed on his ugly mug.

21 hours ago, Thor said:

It's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward PS5 for this remaster rather than PC. HDR being the other one. If they manage to get HDR right at all, it'll be on console, not PC.

Yeah, me too.  Although if the PC crew run with it I'll probably pick up a sale version later.

Ok so this looks better than I expected. They have backtracked the improved HUD for example. I am starting to get overhyped. This will end in disaster.

Yeah, I'm buying this. It's been more than ten years since I played the original (and the best) and then read the excellent Revelation and thought "fuck me a new Sci-Fi franchise to rival the likes of Star Wars".

Course it never went that way in the end with a disappointing ending to the trilogy and Andromeda being a mixed bag spin off. Here's hoping this stokes the fire and gets the franchise breathing again.

Also, best music ever...

I only read Revelation which was good (from memory) but gives you some good backstory on the Human/Turian conflict and serves as a setup for the story of the first game.

I know the books were written by Drew Karpshyn who also wrote the story for the first game (plus he also wrote the great Darth Bane series of novels).

I loved the Karpyshyn books at the time, which were solid reads that also provided some great background for the games.

There was a fourth book written by someone else that was apparently terrible though, and I didn't read the Andromeda one.

4 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I never played three, what's the deal with the back porting of FemShep? I'm certain I played as a female character in both 1 and 2, so wasn't she already there?

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/3/22264224/mass-effect-remastered-femshep-legendary-edition-jennifer-hale-bioware

Ah, apparently they updated her default model in 3 and people prefer it, so they are back porting it. Thats cool.

I wouldn't know, as I made her look like my partner, then had her running around the galaxy punching reporters. It was excellent.

5 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I never played three, what's the deal with the back porting of FemShep? I'm certain I played as a female character in both 1 and 2, so wasn't she already there?

She was chosen in a fan ballot. As we know, democracy doesn't work, and neither did the new default femshep. Expanded character creation is exciting though, hopefully the one from the second game rather than the weird ME3 creator.

23 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/3/22264224/mass-effect-remastered-femshep-legendary-edition-jennifer-hale-bioware

Ah, apparently they updated her default model in 3 and people prefer it, so they are back porting it. Thats cool.

I wouldn't know, as I made her look like my partner, then had her running around the galaxy punching reporters. It was excellent.

Seems a lot of effort to go through when everyone knows default male Shep is the correct way to play..

The awful truth of the matter is that they never bothered to animate her differently to how the male version is animated and thus it kind of looks like she's walking around with a bit of a dodgy stomach. And after a few hours that gets on my tits.

Male Shep also walks like he's poo'ed himself but it somehow doesn't look quite as bad...

44 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I loved the Karpyshyn books at the time, which were solid reads that also provided some great background for the games.

There was a fourth book written by someone else that was apparently terrible though, and I didn't read the Andromeda one.

Someone passed on that fourth book to me and it is as awful as reported, both as literature and in terms of Mass Effect accuracy. They promised to release a corrected reprint but I doubt it sold enough copies to reprint it.

41 minutes ago, Mogster said:

The first two books are totally fine - enjoyable pulp sci-fi in much the same way the games are. The third book (Retribution?) is weakened a bit by its villain being space ninja Kai Leng, and the fourth, non Karpyshyn book would be bilge even if it didn't feature Kai Leng as its villain again.

So, yeah, skip the fourth, and expect a mild dip in quality from the third. Unless you actually liked Kai Leng in ME3, presumably.

25 minutes ago, jonamok said:

That’s bait.gif

:D

Partially. I do actually prefer the male Shep but I accept there are wrong other opinions out there.

Either way, that comparison video. Never mind any graphical enhancements, that music. I also can't wait to have Faunts blasting out while the credits roll :wub: 

44 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Seems a lot of effort to go through when everyone knows default male Shep is the correct way to play..

I really can’t think of anything more wrong than this sentence. This is a record for being wrong. 

E34935E4-8D14-49BD-9983-F905C1163750.gif

I swear Kai Leng was in Mass Effect 3 for about three minutes of actual screen time plus his boss fight, the way people go on you’d think he was a main character. 

But talking of bit-part villains, can’t wait to see the fleshed out backstory for Marauder Shields.

24 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

So it's a lot like the games then?

Don't be ridiculous! That's skip the third, and expect a mild dip in quality from the fourth.