Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Fargo

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

A comparison shot of Mass Effect 1's most boring planet:

1920x-1

1920x-1

Quite the difference there, enough for me to get it to see what improvements have been made to ME1 in particular. :)

That is a LOT of lens flair. Very Abramsion.

I'm glad it exists but I'll wait for it to hit EA Play. 

I still maintain the pre-title card sequence of Mass Effect 2 is one of the most spectacular things in popular media.

3 minutes ago, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:
  Hide contents

What fucking numpties were putting the bloke with terminal respiratory disease in the vents? :lol: [

I guess you could use the argument that his lithe, svelte body is ideal for that situation....

But those people would be idiots.

Spoiler

Sometimes I shove Miranda in there just to be cruel..

Just now, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:

On both my big trilogy run-throughs everyone survived but Miranda who for some reason was just dead on the way back to the ship.

I didn't mind. :)

I think that was just your B team wasn’t strong enough 

2 minutes ago, Hexx said:

I think that was just your B team wasn’t strong enough 

Spoiler

sided with Jack both times in their argument and Miranda was too arsey to be talked down later, so it's probably that. She's shite though, so hey, her funeral. Literally!

In unrelated news in my second trilogy playthrough over this christmas I went with female Shepard + Garrus as a pairing. I'm a straight bloke but I think I worried some family members with how much I enjoyed Garrus's flicking between brooding Space Batman and awkward adorkable approach to the relationship. :wub::lol:

Looking at that trailer makes me realise Mass Effect seems kind of unique now. 

It’s the peak of the PS360 era where graphics and scope were enormously impressive, but were not yet at the point where further expansion of world design and fidelity would necessitate much longer development cycles. The beauty of Mass Effect was that you could tell a single epic saga across three games in a single generation.

Imagine how shit it would be to get Mass Effect 1 now and know that the story won’t be done until you’re a decade older - or probably longer as the third game would likely have to be built for new hardware. 

4 minutes ago, DumbMagician said:

In for ME1 alone. I played and loved 2 & 3 on the PS3 but never tried the first one.

The best story of the trilogy. I’m a bit special so I fell in love with it’s easy to understand story. It didn’t do what something like andromeda does or a lot of other games where they introduce a load of political nonsense and just keep layering it on like an onion until you completely loose interest.

Mass Effect 2 is the best of the trilogy overall. I can’t believe what EA did with the DLC back in the day though. In my view they are all essential.

The screenshot comparison is nice. I want to see plenty of Depth of Field in the game too.

I hope they populate the levels more with NPCs. I want the city and hub area to feel a bit more busy.

With the original games you could almost see a hard rule of “‘no more than x amount of NPCs in memory at a time please”

1 minute ago, Flanders said:

Looking at that trailer makes me realise Mass Effect seems kind of unique now. 

It’s the peak of the PS360 era where graphics and scope were enormously impressive, but were not yet at the point where further expansion of world design and fidelity would necessitate much longer development cycles. The beauty of Mass Effect was that you could tell a single epic saga across three games in a single generation.

Imagine how shit it would be to get Mass Effect 1 now and know that the story won’t be done until you’re a decade older - or probably longer as the third game would likely have to be built for new hardware. 

The greatest era for games. Phenomenal they knocked 3 games of this nature out in 5 years.

26 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

That is a LOT of lens flair. Very Abramsion.

Are you sure you've played any Mass Effect games? ;)

When I saw Abrams' Star Trek my first thought wasn't, shit, there's too much lense flare; my first was, wow, this looks like Mass Effect! 

28 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I love Mass Effect, but I'm going to try to mod the hell out of it before I fork over a large sum of money to EA. In my experience the people over at Nexus Mods are better at remastering games than the developers. 

1 & 2 you're mostly looking at higher res textures, controller capability and some bug fixes, you won't get the same treatment that 1 is getting in Legendary. 3 has quite a bit more going for it, not least changing up the ending and/or making it run straight into Citadel as an epilogue. There's also mods tweaking Earth and Thessia, attempts at adding in more side missions (not experimented with those), mods that enable more of the multiplayer powers in single player, pretty comprehensive bug fixes as well as the standard suite of higher res textures.

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

I don’t want to spoil any of it, but it’ll be soooooooo good to see the old threads get a bump.

Protip though from a veteran, only real masters know how to do this:

Reveal hidden contents

Keep the green dude out of the vents!

For old time's sake, I feel like I should do exactly that, and

Spoiler

put Miranda on shield duty.

Happy days.

6 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Will it have HDR?

Yep, they mention it in the Eurogamer write-up.

The one thing that's surprising me is that they aren't releasing this on the new-gen consoles (except as forward-compatible). Surely the primest of prime audiences for a remaster.

Just now, Wiper said:

Yep, they mention it in the Eurogamer write-up.

The one thing that's surprising me is that they aren't releasing this on the new-gen consoles (except as forward-compatible). Surely the primest of prime audiences for a remaster.

I guess with a remaster of a last-gen game there's a limit to what they can do to it to justify it being a PS5 / XS game. Presumably, it's already going to be 4K / 60fps. Short of introducing ray-tracing (which would presumably be a massive job), what else could they do?