Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Just now, StoooTube said:

If this is done with the same care and passion as the Command & Conquer remaster (Big surprise from EA) then this will be amazing. EA don’t always do things half-arsed these days...

Burnout Paradise says hi.

The C&C Remaster is maybe not the best indication though. It was Petroglyph that put in the work, and while EA gave them all the access (and presumably funding) they could ask for it sounds like they were basically left to manage everything themselves. I'd be surprised if whoever is managing the Mass Effect remasters is quite so passionate.

The Mafia remaster sounds like it was quite something though.

I wonder if there will be anything in place for those of us who already own the original trilogy on Origin. Sure, you can probably get a similar experience already with mods (better textures, fixing iffy controler support and bugs) but it would be nice to not have to faff around with all that. I wonder if existing saves will be supported too.

Bit concerned that no gameplay footage has been shown, given it's coming out in a few months.

9 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Burnout Paradise says hi.

It could go either way. Both those remaster efforts involved members of the respective original dev teams and yet one was a clear passion project while the other was a straightforward workmanlike effort.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I was thinking the same, the trend du jour seems to be to announce/reveal late into development with a shorter, more effective and efficient hype cycle. BioWare has been working on Dragon Age since what... it feels like 5 years ago that they mentioned it the same way the mention a new Mass Effect now? We haven't seen anything to suggest DA4 is even close, have we? Is this BioWare themselves doing this, maybe as a way to keep themselves relevant coming out of troubled times? EA doing this because they aren't to happy with how it's going lately? Or it's just marketing people stubbornly clinging to the old ways and I'm reading too much into this.

Activision-Blizzard of all people has proven that if done right, old shit which was popular in the past can be resurrected for commercial purposes and even lead to new entries. Mass Effect remastered lays the ground for Mass Effect 4 (Andromeda gets ignored). It's really no different to the Hollywood cycle in that respect, reboots and re-imaginings are a path that has commercial worth in entertainment.

Mass Effect 2 key staff:

Casey Hudson - Returned to BioWare

Preston Watamaniuk - Did Anthem

Mac Walters - Did Andromeda

Drew Karpyshyn - Did Anthem

Derek Watts - Did Anthem

David Falkner - Did Anthem

Yanick Roy - Did Andromeda

So I think it's fair to say they still have the entire leadership team working at the company, unless they've all left and haven't been credited on any shipped products since those particular games were finished.

5 minutes ago, Mogster said:

The Mafia remaster sounds like it was quite something though.

Mafia is from 2k, not EA. But it also wasn't a remaster but a full remake, even moreso than Demon's Souls on PS5 - afaik that doesn't include any significant new content, it just looks fucking amazing, right? I mean I didn't hear anything about adding back the broken Archstone or something along those lines. The Mafia 1 remake is more like that, they took the original as a basic design template and made something completely new.

6 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Activision-Blizzard of all people has proven that if done right, old shit which was popular in the past can be resurrected for commercial purposes and even lead to new entries. Mass Effect remastered lays the ground for Mass Effect 4 (Andromeda gets ignored). It's really no different to the Hollywood cycle in that respect, reboots and re-imaginings are a path that has commercial worth in entertainment.

Mass Effect 2 key staff:

Casey Hudson - Returned to BioWare

Preston Watamaniuk - Did Anthem

Mac Walters - Did Andromeda

Drew Karpyshyn - Did Anthem

Derek Watts - Did Anthem

David Falkner - Did Anthem

Yanick Roy - Did Andromeda

So I think it's fair to say they still have the entire leadership team working at the company, unless they've all left and haven't been credited on any shipped products since those particular games were finished.

Oh yeah, of course a remaster is often used to drum up excitement/interest for a new entry or revival. I just wondered why they didn't wait until the remaster was out before doing a big announcement.

Thanks for correcting me on the staff thing, I remember hearing that but never did my research. Still, seeing as those same key staff did Anthem and Andromeda, it shows their presence isn't necessarily any kind of assurance of quality. 

I mean, I hope they deliver of course. Don't mean to be a sourpuss. It's just that I'm not immediately convinced given their recent output.

That's entirely to be expected, you're only ever as good as your last project in gaming. :)

Anthem was conceived to be the next big thing, hence why all the rockstars at BioWare worked on it but it unfortunately it didn't work out for them so maybe they are all going to work on Mass Effect again as it does say veteran team and they all qualify.

I haven't really read up on why that went wrong, but it must have been good in the original planning meetings, much like many other could have been great games.

53 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

If this is done with the same care and passion as the Command & Conquer remaster (Big surprise from EA) then this will be amazing. EA don’t always do things half-arsed these days...

43 minutes ago, Mogster said:

The C&C Remaster is maybe not the best indication though. It was Petroglyph that put in the work, and while EA gave them all the access (and presumably funding) they could ask for it sounds like they were basically left to manage everything themselves.

Yeah, EA were not involved other than saying "Yes" with C+C.

I don't think there's even an EA logo in the game itself.

The Burnout Paradise remaster was pretty good, wasn't it? It was the existing game transferred to a new format, with a few minor improvements and a few visual touch-ups here and there. It's not transformative, but that's not necessarily what you want from a re-release. It's the game equivalent of putting out a new version of a film on blu-ray - EA seemed to do a pretty solid job on it to me.

6 minutes ago, K said:

The Burnout Paradise remaster was pretty good, wasn't it? It was the existing game transferred to a new format, with a few minor improvements and a few visual touch-ups here and there. It's not transformative, but that's not necessarily what you want from a re-release. It's the game equivalent of putting out a new version of a film on blu-ray - EA seemed to do a pretty solid job on it to me.

Stella Entertainment was founded by the lead technical director of Criterion, they also have recently done the Criterion NFS remaster too so a similar situation to C&C where people involved in the originals also worked on the ports.

It turns out one of the key members of Mass Effect 2 has actually left the company. How much this matters to people depends on how important you thought the lead writer was on the first 2 games. Dragon Age has the same problem, lead writer left BioWare ages ago to do his own game.

Drew Karpyshyn left BioWare to join a bunch of ex-BioWare at Archetype Entertainment to work on a brand new Sci-Fi RPG. He seems quite happy about it:

I’ve been in the video game industry for twenty years now. When I started at BioWare, everything was fresh and exciting. It was a dream job – talented people working together to create epic games like Baldur’s Gate, KOTOR, Mass Effect and Dragon Age. But as we grew and became more successful, things changed. We became more corporate. We were less able to make what we loved, and the teams were pushed to create games based on market research rather than our creative instincts and passions. My dream job became just a job, and I lost the enthusiasm and excitement I once had.

But with Archetype, my passion has been rekindled. The feel in the studio reminds me of my early days at BioWare; I can feel the magic in the air. And even though I can’t get too deep into the specifics of what we’re working on yet,we’re already generating plenty of excitement in the industry.

I know we have big shoes to fill. With BioWare, I was part of a legacy that will endure forever. We created some of the most beloved CRPGs of the past two decades. But I truly believe at Archetype we have the talent and the opportunity to do something just as amazing!

http://drewkarpyshyn.com/c/?page_id=2