Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Fargo

14 hours ago, ryodi said:

I'm a good way into ME3 and the things that annoyed me originally still annoy me now. Apart from not being able to holster your weapon the quests and missions picked up by overhearing people that you complete by talking to them but the camera not cutting to them talking with instead everyone's necks twisted awkwardly using the games normal camera being my biggest annoyance. I'd also completely forgotten that Joker hadn't seen the PSA.

Reveal hidden contents

It's fine but the what I assume is an accurate representation of diplomacy with Shephard turning into an errand boy to get everyone to help defeat the reapers doesn't make it feel disjointed as you rush around the galaxy doing odd jobs and lacks the focus of preparing to go through the Omega 4 Relay from ME2. 

That right there annoys me an awful lot. They're the little quality of life things that would have made a difference for me and they chose to not bother. I completely understand that they devoted most of the budget to getting Mass Effect up to snuff, but I'm not sure I'd have made the same choices at all. Mass Effect still has fucking awful combat, can be terribly dull in places, and you play the sodding thing to get a really cool story going on. God knows why anyone would bother not to just stick the thing on easy, rattle through it so you can get to the meat and potatoes of ME2 really. 

I just finished my first insanity run of the trilogy back to back and despite loads of issues with how the overall story is dealt with and gameplay changes etc I was happy to find that I still loved it, as said before, even the mako exploration. I can’t think of another series of games where I actually like the characters and the setting quite as much as in these.

Given that it’s the direction the games increasingly move in I might be in the minority but, having just gone through them and spending nearly every other beat in combat in the power wheel, I would kill for an option to ditch the 3rd person cover shooter trappings altogether and just have a zoomed-out ‘tactical’ view and control in combat.

Regarding ME2/ME3 and the Collectors 

Spoiler

does anyone know if they were originally going to have more significance in the overall story of the trilogy and ME3 just didn’t follow up on it?

Whilst obviously there’s a lot of issues when considering the overall plot etc and how it’s handled between each game, particularly in the move from 2 to 3, the Collectors just seem like a dead end story-wise that didn’t really do much other than giving Shepard another notch on the powerful-baddies-I’ve-killed belt.

Your choice at the end to destroy the base or keep it seems to have no real effect in the 3rd game beyond some dialogue bits and pieces - Cerberus are no better or worse off regardless of what you do. The overall mission, of stopping the Collectors, doesn’t have much consequence for the Reaper invasion as it seems like they would have been doing that anyway, they just don’t have their naff Terminator Reaper kicking things off..

I'm sure the Citadel DLC is going to get good, and at the end of the first "main" mission it's showing signs of it.

But my god that first mission is pure shit.  Massive difficulty spike and worse, an uneven one because if you don't have good biotics you're fucked.  Literally no ammo refills in the first half, bugs in the location tracking and the bizarre assumption that what Mass Effect needed was to be a stealth game with none of the mechanics of a stealth game.

Just weird.

I don't remember that section giving me much trouble at all - I was thoroughly committed to being a pistols-only Engineer. I do remember being extremely bad at the stealth.

I'm having an issue in ME2 where a bar of pixels appears down the right hand-side of the screen. It only appears when I'm talking to someone in game and the camera zooms in - if I'm just waking about or watching a cut scene it disappears. You can see it in this screenshot:

Spoiler

256420a4-7196-4905-bd69-6b87baa40277.thumb.png.a9e24aa3961ba6e34785ebc77d69ebac.png

Anyone else got this? It's definitely the game, not my TV, as it doesn't appear anywhere else and even shows up if I'm playing via remote play.

I'm finding the game in general to be pretty buggy. None of the achievements seem to be popping on screen, despite unlocking in the background. Occasionally the lip sync will be out and I'll have to restart. The playtime counter is all over the place - sometimes it says about 30 hours, which is what I'd expect, while other times it says 120 hours. I've had invisible enemies, invisible NPCs, characters clipping through walls, audio issues, enemy AI occasionally just shitting the bed entirely and not responding to anything while I stand there and shoot it. It's a bit rubbish, really.

I'm up to the Omega relay now so I'm going to finish this, but I'm not going to jump straight into 3 by any means until there's an update.

4 hours ago, aubergine said:

It’s not a good solution but if you repeatedly die in that section they slowly increase the amount of ammo and grenades you start with.

Hah.  I'm not sure if that counts as good design or the admission the previous design was bad.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I'm having an issue in ME2 where a bar of pixels appears down the right hand-side of the screen. It only appears when I'm talking to someone in game and the camera zooms in - if I'm just waking about or watching a cut scene it disappears. You can see it in this screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

256420a4-7196-4905-bd69-6b87baa40277.thumb.png.a9e24aa3961ba6e34785ebc77d69ebac.png

Anyone else got this? It's definitely the game, not my TV, as it doesn't appear anywhere else and even shows up if I'm playing via remote play.

I'm finding the game in general to be pretty buggy. None of the achievements seem to be popping on screen, despite unlocking in the background. Occasionally the lip sync will be out and I'll have to restart. The playtime counter is all over the place - sometimes it says about 30 hours, which is what I'd expect, while other times it says 120 hours. I've had invisible enemies, invisible NPCs, characters clipping through walls, audio issues, enemy AI occasionally just shitting the bed entirely and not responding to anything while I stand there and shoot it. It's a bit rubbish, really.

I'm up to the Omega relay now so I'm going to finish this, but I'm not going to jump straight into 3 by any means until there's an update.

I've played 90% of the 3 by this point. The only ones of these I've seen on Xbox One (and then Series) are the playtime which is indeed completely broken and 2 instance of broken AI that led to them being alive off the "Play area". Both were killable though.

I did have an audio issue once, the one time I tried to play it while copying stuff off External HDD to the internal when I first got the series.

19 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I've played 90% of the 3 by this point. The only ones of these I've seen on Xbox One (and then Series) are the playtime which is indeed completely broken and 2 instance of broken AI that led to them being alive off the "Play area". Both were killable though.

I did have an audio issue once, the one time I tried to play it while copying stuff off External HDD to the internal when I first got the series.

I'm thinking I might reinstall it and see if t he that sorts anything. I'll just have to be careful not to delete my save...

ME3 done. Overall I enjoyed playing the trilogy again and taking my time to do everything meant I enjoyed ME3 a lot more than I did originally when I completed it before any of the DLC was released and only revisited it to play the Citadel Party which is one of the highpoints of the series. The ending still leaves me disappointed but I can't think of any other way you could end a trilogy like this. 

EDIT: I also completely forgot that ME3 had turret sections. Which have always been terrible, don’t fit with Mass Effect at all and I’m glad have fallen out of fashion. 

12 hours ago, ryodi said:

EDIT: I also completely forgot that ME3 had turret sections. Which have always been terrible, don’t fit with Mass Effect at all and I’m glad have fallen out of fashion. 

still playing through ME3 myself but so much of it seems to have been inspired by the shooters of the time like Gears in particular but also uncharted 

I think the biggest reason people hate ME3's ending is that the gameplay for the entire last hour is "Walk long distances at a slow pace with the run button disabled" and the bits that aren't are "Excessively long conversation with a git".

• 1 month later...

Well that is my first ever play through of Mass Effect completed. It’s pretty much all I’ve played since it was released in May. Spoilered for length and spoilers.

ME2

Spoiler

This was a great game and a lot of improvements over the first one. Better combat, menu’s, missions and side missions. Again like the first one I rinsed it completely. Every mission completed. I managed to complete the game without anyone dying. I didn’t realise characters could die until people asked me who survived the suicide mission. I agree with other comments in this thread, the assault on the collectors base was great. Terminator Reaper was rubbish and really easy to beat. Ending not as satisfying as the end of ME1.

ME3

Spoiler

This game was also very good, though not as good as 2 and a number or retrograde steps. Like the previous games I completed pretty much all of this. It’s hard to tell though because for some insane reason they changed how the missions worked in a bad way. Not knowing if you had the item people were after was stupid. It was also annoying picking up missions by walking near people talking. It was also immensely annoying by having missions you couldn’t complete anymore stuck on your mission list.

Onto the game itself. I went for the synthesis option at the end. I was relatively happy with the conclusion. I couldn’t understand why people hated it so much until I did a bit of searching. I can see how the game originally ended being deeply unsatisfying. The apartment/party story was really good. Some of the combat on the way to the ending of the mission was really annoying though. I upped the difficulty to hardcore for 3 but a couple of missions it spiked out of the blue and I dropped it down because life is too short.

I was relatively satisfied with the conclusion to my fem Shep space opera. However, the game did take it’s wide variety of choices and cram them into 3 endings leaving a number of plot holes. I was kind of annoyed that I saved the Rachni Queen twice and the culmination of that was a couple of drones to help build the crucible. 

Some general thoughts: Fuelling the Normandy was always a terrible idea. Scanning planets was tedious but the scanning in 3 was worse.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed the play through of all three games. I played infiltrator in them all and it never felt like it got old. It was a great experience and I made some great friends along the way. I’ll never forget you Garrus.

Now should I start on the gamepass backlog or install Andromeda?

Yeah I think the biggest issue people had with ME3’s ending is just that it renders a lot of your choices pointless (in the end all that matters is your EMS iirc) while at the same time adding an unnecessary level of convolutedness to everything. It doesn’t help that the Earth section, gameplay-wise and in terms of spectacle, seems pretty lacking compared to the Tuchanka and Rannoch sections.

Imagining what it might have been like if it had involved something like the decision making for the suicide mission of ME2 but on a much grander scale (maybe choosing where some of the forces you have recruited are deployed - and that having an effect on how the final mission plays out etc) and then comparing it to what we actually got…. 😂

I don’t hate it, happy enough with the overall choice (destroy here) but it’s just disappointing.

Yes I kind of feel the same way about the ending. I didnt hate it but it was certainly the worst of the 3 games. I also think, having read up a bit more about the ending, it is very reductive. I can certainly understand how my only knowledge of the games prior to playing them was the furore about the ending. The final gameplay section of the 3 was also worse than the 1 and 2. As has been noted by others, the final is a lot of slow walking and cutscenes. There are some really great missions and moments in 3 but I kinda felt like there was something a bit off about the whole overarching narrative and structure of it. It seemed to lack scale or as wide a variety of choices as the other ones.

Still loved playing the series. It is strange not firing it up anymore after having spent the last 4 months playing it at least every other day.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm playing Mass Effect 3 at the moment and I'm enjoying it a lot more due to a number of factors.

-Back when I originally played the trilogy I was really bummed out that I couldn't get the third instalment via Steam. So I bought it in 360 and bought second hand copies of 1 and 2. Which meant playing through the entire series again up to 3 because unlike Dragon Age Mass Effect doesn't have the ability to continue your game cross platform. Until Remastered it felt that the best way to play through the entire campaign uninterrupted was the 360.

-It's got all the DLC in one place. Javik should never have been DLC and I ended up playing Omega, Leviathan  and Citadel long after I'd finished playing the main campaign originally which wasn't the best way to play the full thing.

-I usually play sneaky characters so originally I played as an infiltrator. Having a short addiction to ME3 multiplayer I discovered the pure joy of playing Vanguard which is like bowling with you as the ball and your enemies as the pins.

-The best bit is I don't have to babysit galactic readiness in real time anymore, with the original release you had to mess around with an app or play multiplayer otherwise your readiness would (I think I'm remembering this right) decrease. This was a major pain when I played this during a period of unemployment and being single, I can't imagine how annoying this would be doing it with other responsibilities. It made me feel like I had to rush through the campaign.

Really enjoying playing through this again.  The first Mass Effect is brilliant at worldbuilding but it's showing its age. Mass Effect 2 is still a great about face with possibly the best excuse for a power reset ever in an rpg. It's also got an interesting crew to recruit with all of them being terrible people in various ways. It's also got the worst DLC in Project Overlord, DLC which I think they couldn't get rid of due to ties to ME3. I'm finding it odd playing Mass Effect 3 now, a game that feels like a long slow hopeless apocalypse. I can see why people felt like their choices didn't matter at the end point but watching some of my decisions play out and add to the galactic readiness score without being distracted by spamming that score with external apps or modes is incredibly satisfying. Whether large campaigns like liberating Omega or small things like someone offering their dissertation on dark matter it all seems to count more.

I do miss multiplayer Mass Effect 3 but as someone who had to uninstall it to get back to job hunting almost ten years ago its absence might be a blessing!

• 4 weeks later...

I bought this last week and have already powered through Mass Effect, which really is janky as fuck in terms of gameplay and has a very slow beginning. Despite this, Vermire onwards is still amazing after all these years, just grabs you by the throat and doesn’t let go.

I immediately started Mass Effect 2 afterwards and oh god it’s the raddest game. It’s so fucking rad. I love it so much and it looks so gorgeous in 4K. The jump in quality of everything from the first game is the most astonishing improvement from a sequel ever and it happened in three years!

The graphics are miles better than ME1 even after it’s being touched up. The dialogue is instantly snappier, the combat is magically no longer shit, the conversation cutscenes are so much more vibrant.

The opening Normandy destruction is AMAZING. An hour into the game and you’re doing secret missions for MARTIN FUCKING SHEEN who will be in loads of this game and Mass Effect 3 and doesn’t dog it once. 

I’ve got to travel the galaxy and round up a crew of desperadoes so that we can jump through a mass relay full of black holes to kick the shit out of a bunch of abducting arseholes who are in league with evil machine Lovecraft cunts from the dawn of time. Mass Effect 2 is up there, it’s really up there.

Finished off ME1 today and although it’s a little rough it’s still a cracking game. Had a few odd visual and audio bugs, funniest of which was when Garrus said one of his lines in a cutscene and they used the wrong voice! Looking forward to ME2 which I loved back in the day. Never played 3 before. 

I played 3 when it came out and have got to 3 again on this and I honestly don't remember a single thing about it! I really don't like the galaxy map on 3 though. 

Spoiler

The wee reapers chasing you about is just daft

Started ME2, what a glorious start that is. Got as far as meeting the illusive man and went to save the game and it fucking crashed! Despite auto save being on I had to start again and of course all the cutscenes are unskippable!