Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Fargo

1 hour ago, Parappa said:

Does this get better after Mass Effect 1? I am playing on casual (about 7 hours in)and it seems to be a little boring? Story OK but the combat is pretty bad and I my team don't really seem to be a great deal of use.  I see you can change their weapons and some perks of some type but I dont really see the point in them yet.  Perhaps this is down to playing on casual? 

Also trying to find out where to go next is not the easiest - checking the journal all the time seems to be the only option. 

The second game is better in pretty much every respect, especially the combat, which is actually playable (if a little clunky by modern standards). I think your enjoyment of all of the games overall depends on how much you invest in the story and characters, however - the conversations and the drama of it all are far and away the best part of the game.

The 2nd game is better in the combat and probably the story certainly.

For some reason it scores own goals by making the system for moving around the galaxy absurdly complex for no benefit and by the resource collecting being dire, but you can mostly ignore that and still get the important upgrades.

I remember nothing about Mass Effect 3 it turns out.  Granted only 3 hours in (or 73 hours because ME2 and 3 still have the world's most simplest feature broken).

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

I remember nothing about Mass Effect 3 it turns out.  Granted only 3 hours in (or 73 hours because ME2 and 3 still have the world's most simplest feature broken).

I finished ME 2 in 30minutes apparently. Do I get a prize?

They made the Matriarch Benezia boss battle much easier, didn't they? That was such a difficulty spike in the original release - I think I basically fluked it on the 10th attempt. Completed it first time on this playthrough! Actual cover available!

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

They made the Matriarch Benezia boss battle much easier, didn't they? That was such a difficulty spike in the original release - I think I basically fluked it on the 10th attempt. Completed it first time on this playthrough! Actual cover available!

I thought that Kicked my ass first time, did it in about five seconds most recent attempt. 

For whatever reason back in the day I had all the ME2 DLCs except Shadow Broker (!?). Finally did all that last night and while I did begin to tire of the relentless shooting in small arenas, it looked great and had an interesting story, plus it was nice to hook up with Liara again.

Spoiler

Loved the dossiers of the characters that you can read, some of it interesting, some of if sad, a lot of it very funny. I did a genuine LOL at the video clips of the reporter getting decked by a Krogan.

It's much less impactful now everything looks so good - but the fight along the Shadowbroker's bases in ME2 was absolutely stunning at the time,

It’s criminal how the game has you collect miniature spaceships for display in your private quarters, but never released any of em for real. Not as models, not as resin kits.

Dear crikey the end of the Aria missions in ME3 is an utter, utter cow isn't it.  The one time I've had to turn down the difficulty to get through and I had to go right back to narrative.  On your own dealing with multiple of those freaks rushing you while snipers pick you off from across the map AND with a tight enforced time limit.

There is one below casual, you might need it.

The rest of that sequence is just fine on normal (for me), it's the just the very last bit and believe me you'll know it when you get there.

That section was rendered incredibly facile by playing as an infiltrator - just ignore the enemies while cloaked to achieve the objectives - but it did feel wildly unbalanced for any other class. By contrast, the earlier robot-horde section in the reactor was a nightmare for the class. The game doesn't deal gracefully with sections where the player has to fight alone, sadly, as character builds are generally designed to complement one another, not stand alone against all comers, and it's a shame the mission design doesn't reflect that.

(playing on insanity, so obviously any such issues are exacerbated)

No doubt you're right, but I've always wished Mass Effect would allow the option to leave my squad behind and take on a mission solo. Sometimes I just don't feel like company. I just did the one in ME2 where you pick your way around a derelict spacecraft as it teeters on a ridge. Very basic mission, but I enjoyed the brief loneliness. I have just recruited Jack though.

I didn't find that section too bad on Hardcore/Adept.

Basically just ignored any fights and ran for the 4 points in order, stopping to blow things in my way up only with quick combos. Totally different play style to normal slower/methodical combat

Yeah that didn't work at all for me, 3 of the dickheads just land on you and you can't dodge because the snipers 5 miles away are picking you off.  

I've found ME3 has some curious regressions to 2 in general.  It no longer marks most of the missions on the galaxy map, missions don't update in the journal so if you've got a "Collect x and bring it to y" mission you actually don't know if you've GOT x until you visit y and can't talk to them, that kind of thing.

And there continues to be absolutely zero point to the fuel mechanic, it adds nothing and there is no level on which it makes any sense. For some reason fuel depots are more scarce in 3 as well.

I'd forgotten just how good the start of Mass Effect 2 is! And how much of an upgrade the dialogue scenes are, in terms of Shephard usually saying a bit more than just asking a 5 word question, and also how there are different camera angles, zoom levels and tracking shots to increase visual interest. It makes ME1 look so static in comparison.

I'm past the half-way mark in ME2 now and am finding it a bit of a slog, to be honest. The interactions between characters are still interesting, but the narrative slows to a halt while you're just going around getting the squad together. It seems odd that The Collectors just wait about while you're off headhunting people and solving their problems.

The biggest issue, however, is the repetitive nature of the combat. In general, the gunplay is much improved compared with ME1, but the lack of variety in weapons and the way you approach different situations is really grating on me now. Maybe it's my fault for choosing the sniper class, but I'm finding it's not a game that I want to play for any longer than 45 minutes or so in one sitting, just because every mission plays out the same way.

Thankfully, I've been dipping in and out using remote play on my phone, playing it like a handheld game, and that seems to be a good way to get through the missions I'm up to at the moment.

On 18/06/2021 at 14:43, Jamie John said:

The second game is better in pretty much every respect, especially the combat, which is actually playable (if a little clunky by modern standards). I think your enjoyment of all of the games overall depends on how much you invest in the story and characters, however - the conversations and the drama of it all are far and away the best part of the game.

I don't know - I think the climax of the first game is the best bit of the entire trilogy, story-wise.

ME2 and ME3 both have terrible endings, whereas the last 90 minutes of the first game was probably one of the best videogaming narrative moments I'd ever had at the time.

And that's ME3 done.

Spoiler

I took great delight in inviting Allers onto the ship then kicking her off. She died according to a news report I overheard on the Citedal lol.

I was confused by certain bits I don't remember happening when I first played it. Apparently I missed something to save Miranda and Kasumi. The latter of which I couldn't even remember dying till I saw her name on the memorial board on the Normandy. I guess you could change the outcomes of certain things more than I thought.

On 30/06/2021 at 14:33, Isaac said:

I don't know - I think the climax of the first game is the best bit of the entire trilogy, story-wise.

ME2 and ME3 both have terrible endings, whereas the last 90 minutes of the first game was probably one of the best videogaming narrative moments I'd ever had at the time.

What? The final mission of ME2 is one of the greatest ever made. The action, the score, the cut scenes. Epic.

ME2's suicide mission aspect is brilliant; the actual final boss is hilariously naff, however, and the actual battle arenas are a lot less compelling than the forward momentum of ME1's final dash to Saren.

Both ending sequences are highlights of the series, but I do prefer ME1's overall.

(also, that credits theme :wub:)

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

And that's ME3 done.

Reveal hidden contents

I took great delight in inviting Allers onto the ship then kicking her off. She died according to a news report I overheard on the Citedal lol.

I was confused by certain bits I don't remember happening when I first played it. Apparently I missed something to save Miranda and Kasumi. The latter of which I couldn't even remember dying till I saw her name on the memorial board on the Normandy. I guess you could change the outcomes of certain things more than I thought.

What? The final mission of ME2 is one of the greatest ever made. The action, the score, the cut scenes. Epic.

The final boss of ME2 is such a huge fuck up that it basically destroys the entire ending set piece.

Spoiler

The fucking Terminator?! They went with the fucking Terminator?!

An advanced AI race from thousands of light years away that periodically wipes out all sentient life in the galaxy is building a fucking Terminator?

The first game ends with a battle against a rogue agent who turns out to be more grey than pure evil, and actually an object of pity, followed by a series of decisions that affect the fate of everyone. 

The second game (despite the brilliance of the suicide mission up until the boss fight) decides to end with a fucking Terminator boss fight ripped out of a Contra game. That was stupidly easy too. And was completely at odds with the entire artistic direction of the series up until that point.

It was the most fluffed ending Bioware had done until ME3.

Finished ME2 yesterday and started ME3 this morning. I know ME2 like the back of my hand but only ever played ME3 the once. The third game was really influenced by that whole Gears of War dude bro 360 era, encapsulated perfectly by the fact you can’t even holster your weapon!

but also the character of James, and the sexualised female characters. I don’t remember much at all so it’s like a new ME and despite some misgivings about the direction it went in I’m really looking forward to playing more. 

I'm a good way into ME3 and the things that annoyed me originally still annoy me now. Apart from not being able to holster your weapon the quests and missions picked up by overhearing people that you complete by talking to them but the camera not cutting to them talking with instead everyone's necks twisted awkwardly using the games normal camera being my biggest annoyance. I'd also completely forgotten that Joker hadn't seen the PSA.

Spoiler

It's fine but the what I assume is an accurate representation of diplomacy with Shephard turning into an errand boy to get everyone to help defeat the reapers doesn't make it feel disjointed as you rush around the galaxy doing odd jobs and lacks the focus of preparing to go through the Omega 4 Relay from ME2. 

Certainly playing the trilogy is reinforcing my opinion that ME:A is the 2nd best in the series and I'm think I might be being harsh on it there, might have to replay it to check.

14 hours ago, ryodi said:

missions picked up by overhearing people

I got one of these but heard absolutely none of the conversation.

I also hate it leaving missions in your log it knows you can't complete and it not updating missions like ME1,2 and literally every other game with missions did.