Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Fargo

Broad ending logic spoilers:

Spoiler

Loyalty is a binary failure setting: any characters who aren't "loyal" will auto-fail if chosen for a role — that was your Tali's problem.

For squad leadership roles you need to pick reliable leaders: Zaeed's history paints him as a disastrous leader: uncharismatic, frequent squad wipe outs and betrayals.

For the final count, it's all to do with who you have left to hold the line: the quality of combatants affects the outcome. Lack of loyalty reduces effectiveness of any character, and certain characters are inherently stronger or weaker combatants - generally along logical lines. So, a war-bred krogan is likely a better front line soldier than a spy. If the average strength is high enough, everyone survives; if not, characters are killed off in a preset order, starting with the least "sturdy" teammates: including a certain salarian.

Man the following is absolutely incredible:

Spoiler

Citadel DLC. Absolutely hilarious interactions between the characters. Ability to have Wrex in your squad again. The cinematics.

Sensational!

Cleaning a few bits up before starting the party, but it really is awesome.

Cannot believe I slept on this the first time around!

It is better but it certainly has its foibles.

No more side missions in one of 3 different buildings copy pasted for instance.

But you are going to get very sick of scanning and buying fuel.

Yeah, that's similar to my experience:

• 1 pleasantly surprised me by being as good as I remembered in terms of story and world-building, while the remaster's improvements to combat were welcome.
  • 2 is bittier and worse-paced than I recalled, and the ways in which it undermines/ignores any choices made in the first is all the more obvious when played with knowledge of how 3 will ultimately end up. Awful DLC too, Shadow Broker excepted. The suicide mission remains a great conceit, however, and Mordin is an all-timer; that plus a few other highlights keep it worthwhile, but it's seriously dropped in my estimations.

(also, playing 2 and 3 in short succession after 1 really highlights just how fantastic the soundtrack to 1 is, and how unmemorable the other games' are by contrast)

I got the Plat for ME2 but somehow missed the romance one needed for Trilogy. I am very far with a potential partner but completely out of missions to do.

Is there a way to force the last part of the romance (that reads awful)? Like, there’s tension in the air and I have two options: “I do” and “I am calling it off”. When I choose the first one the partner replies “you’re lucky you’re so cute” or whatever and that’s it.

Omega done.

That was ok but it’s a long fairly average mission. Adjuncts 😬

Didn’t hate it but didn’t love it. Don’t feel I missed out by now doing it before.

That Flare power though 😎....I’m not sure my Adept can give up energy drain for it but it’s so tempting 

Yeah, having played Omega for the first time this week, I was pleased to discover that flare is hilariously broken if you're playing as an infiltrator, being as it's a massive AOE, high-damage attack whose main limitation is high recharge rate — a limitation the infiltrator can completely ignore. Being able to spam it every three seconds* has rendered every combat encounter since completely trivial, despite being on insanity.

I also really liked Omega - comfortably my favourite piece of DLC in the series. Fun characters! Indirect effect on the narrative! An actual bit of meat to the whole affair! Very refreshing.

* it could be even faster, but I like carrying around an incredibly heavy sniper rifle plus an SMG at all times. You know, just in case.

49 minutes ago, df0 said:

I got the Plat for ME2 but somehow missed the romance one needed for Trilogy. I am very far with a potential partner but completely out of missions to do.

Is there a way to force the last part of the romance (that reads awful)? Like, there’s tension in the air and I have two options: “I do” and “I am calling it off”. When I choose the first one the partner replies “you’re lucky you’re so cute” or whatever and that’s it.

All characters' romances should come to a head immediately before the end (I believe this applies to all three games), assuming you've built them up to their penultimate stage before then. If you haven't got them far enough down the track by then, um, I fear you might need to restart. However, for what it's worth, I believe you can get all three paramour achievements by just replaying the game of your choices - and replaying ME1 can be extremely fast if that's all you need! If it's any consolation, at least you can be thankful you didn't hit the Mass Effect 2 Insanity achievement bug that I did; I can't see myself slogging through the entirety ME2 on Insanity for a second time in the hope that it doesn't bug out twice :(

9 hours ago, Wiper said:

Yeah, having played Omega for the first time this week, I was pleased to discover that flare is hilariously broken if you're playing as an infiltrator, being as it's a massive AOE, high-damage attack whose main limitation is high recharge rate — a limitation the infiltrator can completely ignore. Being able to spam it every three seconds* has rendered every combat encounter since completely trivial, despite being on insanity.

I also really liked Omega - comfortably my favourite piece of DLC in the series. Fun characters! Indirect effect on the narrative! An actual bit of meat to the whole affair! Very refreshing.

* it could be even faster, but I like carrying around an incredibly heavy sniper rifle plus an SMG at all times. You know, just in case.

All characters' romances should come to a head immediately before the end (I believe this applies to all three games), assuming you've built them up to their penultimate stage before then. If you haven't got them far enough down the track by then, um, I fear you might need to restart. However, for what it's worth, I believe you can get all three paramour achievements by just replaying the game of your choices - and replaying ME1 can be extremely fast if that's all you need! If it's any consolation, at least you can be thankful you didn't hit the Mass Effect 2 Insanity achievement bug that I did; I can't see myself slogging through the entirety ME2 on Insanity for a second time in the hope that it doesn't bug out twice :(

Do you have an insanity save pre last boss of ME1 on insanity? Give that a go. It’s games not specific games 

Finished ME1 last night. Shagged Liara rotten, didn't I, eh? 😏

Can you change your gender and/or job class when you start ME2? I played 1 as a male Shep vanguard, but I'd quite like to do 2 as a femShep  sniper.

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Finished ME1 last night. Shagged Liara rotten, didn't I, eh? 😏

Can you change your gender and/or job class when you start ME2? I played 1 as a male Shep vanguard, but I'd quite like to do 2 as a femShep  sniper.

You can change your job, but I don't think you can change your sex. You could just make a new character for it and use the interactive comic thing to repick your ME1 choices though.

1 minute ago, Mogster said:

You can change your job, but I don't think you can change your sex. You could just make a new character for it and use the interactive comic thing to repick your ME1 choices though.

Cheers, I may do just that. Is there any penalty for doing so? I see there's an achievement for completing all 3 games as the same character, but I can't say I'm too bothered.

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Cheers, I may do just that. Is there any penalty for doing so? I see there's an achievement for completing all 3 games as the same character, but I can't say I'm too bothered.

I think you may lose any credits you have built up in ME1, and while the comic does cover the big choices, it won't carry over things like your interactions with the Westerlund News reporter, Conrad Verner (not that that one matters due to a small bug I believe they deliberately didn't fix), Gianna Parasini etc. Also, if you managed to save Captain Kirrahe and his squad on Virmire I believe it ignores that and treats him as KIA.

Personally I'd recommend sticking with your same character.

37 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Do you have an insanity save pre last boss of ME1 on insanity? Give that a go. It’s games not specific games 

Ah, I didn't realise that applied to the Insanity achievement as well as Paramour; I'll have to check when I've finished ME3. That, or just do a full insanity run of 1 again!

Just finished the whole trilogy with my Paragon Femshep insanity run, got the perfect ending as well, it's still a wonderful bit of gaming heaven whether you seperate them into 3 games or take it as a whole and citadel is still just *chefs kiss*.

I've just started playing 2 (I did decide to start again with sniper FemShep this time) and immediately the combat feels so much better. After being a full Paragon good boy for the first game, I might mix it up a bit more this time around. Saying that, however, IIRC the game doesn't reward you as much for playing things down the middle - is that right? I don't want to be blocked off from saying or doing certain things.

There's a little bit of wiggle room, but it's still best to be 9/10 on one side I think. My recent playthrough as a Sentinel (which is surprisingly OP in ME2) I was mostly paragon but with a splash of renegade, because sometimes it's nice to let your hair down and shoot a fucker/let Garrus play Batman for a bit, and I could still do all the paragon answers/choices iirc apart from one right at the end of ME3...

6 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've just started playing 2 (I did decide to start again with sniper FemShep this time) and immediately the combat feels so much better. After being a full Paragon good boy for the first game, I might mix it up a bit more this time around. Saying that, however, IIRC the game doesn't reward you as much for playing things down the middle - is that right? I don't want to be blocked off from saying or doing certain things.

I believe if you'd imported your character you'd bring with you some of your paragon score which would allow you to mix and match a little in ME2. 

You should have imported your character, you're going to come across a lot of little inconsistencies between what the game assumes you did in ME1 and what what you actually did. That would drive me bonkers, personally.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

I believe if you'd imported your character you'd bring with you some of your paragon score which would allow you to mix and match a little in ME2. 

You should have imported your character, you're going to come across a lot of little inconsistencies between what the game assumes you did in ME1 and what what you actually did. That would drive me bonkers, personally.

Bah, fine. I'll go back and start again as boring shaven head man from the first game 😒

1 hour ago, aubergine said:

There's a little bit of wiggle room, but it's still best to be 9/10 on one side I think. My recent playthrough as a Sentinel (which is surprisingly OP in ME2) I was mostly paragon but with a splash of renegade, because sometimes it's nice to let your hair down and shoot a fucker/let Garrus play Batman for a bit, and I could still do all the paragon answers/choices iirc apart from one right at the end of ME3...

Same, I was all paragon when I played it originally but now if the game offers me the chance to push a Merc out of a window I'm always going to take it. 

The Sentinel feels like you could solo most of the game once you have the Tech Armour maxed. I would imagine that the Adept would be pretty hard, or at least very reliant on who you take with you on missions, due to the need to remove shields and armour before you can pull/throw/singularity enemies.

30 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

If I am going to start over, I might as well go for Insanity now that the combat is fixed. Are all classes viable, or are some easier than others?

Sentinel is arguably the easiest. I think that's what I went for on my Insanity run way back in 2010.

Depends on playstyle as much as anything - infiltrator is the safest for me, thanks to cloaking allowing for effective evasion, and has higher damage output than sentinel generally (particularly against armoured opponents, which is helpful for most bosses); however, you are a glass hammer, and if you get caught out of place/between cooldowns you will die quickly.

(re: persuasion, ME3's one great contribution to the series is awarding you generic "reputation" points - I believe you can fully mix and match there and still persuade like a boss. ME1 and 2, less so)

4 hours ago, ryodi said:

Same, I was all paragon when I played it originally but now if the game offers me the chance to push a Merc out of a window I'm always going to take it. 

You can easily max Paragon and still push the occasional merc out of a window or blow a pipe up under a ranting Krogan (like anyone would be able to resist that).

Man, ME2 is just so much better than ME1 in every way. I've imported my character from the first game, changed him from a Vanguard to an Infiltrator, pushed the difficulty up to Insanity and am loving everything so far. It's been over ten years since I played through it on the 360, but there are lots of little details I can still remember, and thankfully the loading times are more or less instant now compared with before. Great stuff.