Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Fargo

Well, just in case I wanted to be more annoyed at ME2, having just completed it on insanity from start to finish, and completed the Thane romance, neither the paramour nor insanity achievements dropped. Which is apparently a known issue with no resolution (bar "do it all again and hope for the best lol"). Frustrating doesn't quite cover it.

I considered saving the space racist yesterday, but couldn't bring myself to do it in the end. Besides, my Shepard and Kaiden have a thing going.

I had a weird time on Novaria earlier though. I hacked my way through a door that was, to be fair, obviously being monitored by a security system, but my Shepard wasn't going to stand for that when she had a galaxy to save. What I wasn't expecting was for the previously friendly occupants to go completely ballistic and start shooting at me. I ended up having to kill everybody in the facility, scientists aside, an action which thankfully had no repercussions. If I were the Council I'd have been more worried about their choice of Spectre after that than the Rachni.

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

I considered saving the space racist yesterday, but couldn't bring myself to do it in the end. Besides, my Shepard and Kaiden have a thing going.

I had a weird time on Novaria earlier though. I hacked my way through a door that was, to be fair, obviously being monitored by a security system, but my Shepard wasn't going to stand for that when she had a galaxy to save. What I wasn't expecting was for the previously friendly occupants to go completely ballistic and start shooting at me. I ended up having to kill everybody in the facility, scientists aside, an action which thankfully had no repercussions. If I were the Council I'd have been more worried about their choice of Spectre after that than the Rachni.

Hahaha

As soon as Ashley said ‘can’t tell aliens from the animals’ she was gone. I forgot how bad she was. 

Going a mShep/Kaiden slow burn but everyone keeps trying to sleep with me! 

13 hours ago, Hexx said:

I mean most quest NPCs, not the crew :D:D

You still may lose some crew. You can't really mix and match any of your paragon and renegade choices on a first run of ME2 if you want everyone loyal. There are key moments between two sets of characters...

Spoiler

Jack and Miranda have a fight, and if your paragon or renegade score isn't high enough, you have to choose a side, losing the loyalty of the other. This can happen quite soon (I believe you need to have done both Jack's and Miranda's loyalty missions). 

Much later, Tali and Legion get into an argument, and again if either your Renegade of Paragon score isn't high enough, you have to choose a side.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

A game that insists you have to be an absolute extremist in order to negotiate a truce feels like a satire.

Amusing, but I think that's twisting it somewhat. I look at it more in the way of, let's say you're a saint, then both sides will believe you have their best interests at heart; if you're an absolute cunt they may believe you'll turf them out the nearest airlock. ;)

However, I have thought about this, and I reckon a much better system would be if the checks for such encounters added your paragon and renegade scores together. That way you only fail those checks if you're a middle of the road namby-pampy who doesn't want to be seen as too nice or too nasty. 

Yes, it would be nice if it rewarded commitment and drive in general, as a leadership thing, even where that’s not necessarily commitment to either of the canonical paths.

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

A game that insists you have to be an absolute extremist in order to negotiate a truce feels like a satire.

I have noticed some interesting choices as to what the game considers paragon and renegade playing through ME1 certainly.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

You still may lose some crew. You can't really mix and match any of your paragon and renegade choices on a first run of ME2 if you want everyone loyal. There are key moments between two sets of characters...

Hide contents

Jack and Miranda have a fight, and if your paragon or renegade score isn't high enough, you have to choose a side, losing the loyalty of the other. This can happen quite soon (I believe you need to have done both Jack's and Miranda's loyalty missions). 

Much later, Tali and Legion get into an argument, and again if either your Renegade of Paragon score isn't high enough, you have to choose a side.

Done the first and I’m already easily Max P

And so that's Mass Effect done (ME1) and its both pleasing to have finally played the first game in the series and more so for actually having really enjoyed it some 14 years after release.

For those not paying attention to my earlier posts, I bounced massively (DYSWIDT) off ME1 at the time; as I remember I bought it at release as I was wont to do at the time and then played it about 6 months later and could not got my head around it.  It was styled as a shooter but my bullets repeatedly refused to land where I was aiming them, there was way too much talking and I hit a difficulty spike trying to storm a bar on an alien space station, kept dying without really knowing why and just gave up (in fairness the game is not that great at explaining its mechanics to you and at that time I had never really played a CRPG so had no clue how to use the live pause, use powers system).

Anyway about 4 years later I picked up the sequel for about a fiver from Game and fell completely in love, the timing of my purchase meant ME3 was released just weeks after I finished 2 so I bought that release and adored it almost as much (yes the ending was a damp squib but the journey is so well worth it).  FWIW I also got Andromeda shortly after release (post the big patch I think) and also thought that as great.

So for many years I have dreamt of EA remaking ME1 (which I have heard so many times has the best story of the trilogy) but with the combat system of the later games.

And therefore my was I excited when this remaster was released with tweaks to the way ME1 plays.

And I guess they achieved their aim - remastered ME1 does not play like ME2 and 3 but it is more than playable in 2021 (some of this comes no doubt from me wanting to give this a proper go and realising how you work a real time combat system where you can live pause to queue up attacks mind).  The combat rarely gets above serviceable (as opposed to the sequels where its a big part of the appeal) but it does now work and playing with biotic abilities and sending enemies flying all over the screen rarely gets old.

However moreover I actually now more fully appreciate the trilogies pressing narrative whereas most of the reaper stuff washed over me in ME2 before being thrown into sharp relief in ME3 - starting ME2 and finding its Cerberus who revived me actually means something significant.

Anyway, ME1 in 2021 certainly has its rough edges.  The combat is actually fun in the main story missions but also rather easy if like me you decide to play space jesus and spend hours wandering around the galactic map rather than tracking down Saren.  I actually thoroughly enjoyed the exploring random planets in the Mako but it becomes abundantly clear quite quickly they are all built from the same radom landscape generator and have only two types of building on them, each with exactly the same layout every time you encounter them.  And the same couple of basic character models for all the NPCs too   Either way playing llots of side stuff means you level up massively. and end up with ridiculous amounts of cash which give you the Spectre weapons which makes almost all encounters a doddle

But I played it all - clearing every single assignment added to my journal and its curiously relaxing wandering planet surfaces in the mako to examine crashed space probes and scanning rocks.  Lots of engaging odd moments too such as the time I found an obscure Prothean orb on the far side of a planet and got a text dump of a vision of me being in the mind of a stone age human.

The mainline quest as it stands is all killer no filler but would be a pretty snappy game without the side stuff.  All 4 of the story worlds post Citadel are great quests and the finale from Ilos onwards is a real rollercoaster.  A little more imagination in the wider universe along these lines and this would still be a cast iron classic.

As it stands its still lots of fun in a slightly janky fashion.  The shooting is simplistic but fun to experiment with but the plot is engaging well told and whilst you don't really get to bond with your whole squad like you do in the later games all of the leads are well acted and written (basically I brought Liara and Garrus along everywhere because I needed the decryption rank and the biotics and of course they are the best characters in the game).

The key choices are well done but I'd be hard pressed to choose anyway other than I did (the Rachni queen is fairly innocent in her presentation, Ash despite some mitigation in her heritage is a space racist and Wrex is far too cool to die).  I ended up max paragon (I do find it really hard to be evil in games) but I think i was role playing as most of the renegade choices are being a dick (hanging up on the Council aside).  I let them live even so because politicians are politicians....the next batch are likely to be equally stupid.

Anyway 30-40 hours of my life gone (hard to say as the clock keeps ticking even when the game is paused) but its still got something.  And it does now look really pretty.  It also clear playing this what Andromeda was trying to do - update this model rather than the streamlined approach of the second two games.

I wouldn't argue with much of that. I did the Prothean orb thing just last night, it was a curious little interlude. 'The monkey doesn't have the module' x50, not so much. Like you I'm headed for a completionist run, simultaneously enjoying it and questioning whether I'm best using my limited time on this real planet.

I'm six hours into 1 and have only just left the Citadel. On the hunt for Liara now. The combat and Mako stuff is so rubbish that I might just switch it to casual and use a guide so I can plough through it. The dialogue and story stuff is all great still, however. I'm enjoying that a lot.

On 25/05/2021 at 16:33, Chadruharazzeb said:

My god, the combat in ME1 is arse. Squadmate AI is laughable (constantly missing their targets, dying, getting in the way), the cover mechanic is awkward AF, and it keeps changing which weapon I'm using which leads to some embarrassing flapping around mid-combat.

But it's still a great game, god damn it.

I noticed that the combat is now too bloody easy. I remember the 

Spoiler

Matriarch 

boss fight kicking my arse back in the day but it was over in literally five seconds last night. 

Could do without the vast quantities of garbage I keep gathering though. 

That's Mass Effect 1 finished. I think time really hasn't been kind to this game, and I was surprised to find that it's aged in more ways than just its looks and combat. The pacing is pretty bad for a start, not helped by the tedious side missions. 

Some of the design is a bit lacking too. The ships, and indeed the citadel look fantastic, but the planets you visit are all very bland and unmemorable, hindered further by the copy and pasted corridors and buildings.

The story is simpler than I remembered, and feels more like a pilot now that I know what comes next. It's also a pilot that doesn't really get going until the last quarter or so. It does get pretty great after that point mind.

I'm glad I played it again despite all that, and I'm looking forward to taking my brand new Shepard into the sequels. It's just not quite the game I remembered playing back in the day. 

Of course this doesn't take anything away from the impact it had on me at the time. Playing a game like this, in such a well developed universe and one of the best stories I'd experienced in a game was amazing, enhanced even more by the effect I seemed to be having on the story. I remember vividly reaching the end of Virmire, having learnt the truth about Sovereign and finding myself having to choose which crew member I was going to save. I stared at that choice for what seemed like ages before choosing, not quite believing what the game was asking of me. Things have moved on now, but at the time it was incredible.

11 hours ago, Mogster said:

That's Mass Effect 1 finished. I think time really hasn't been kind to this game, and I was surprised to find that it's aged in more ways than just its looks and combat. The pacing is pretty bad for a start, not helped by the tedious side missions. 

And the problem is those side missions contain a lot of the trilogy plot whereas the main game is really just 4 quests, 3 of which you don't always do in the same order.  And I've no idea if I had old or new Mako but it was awful and I couldn't find the option to change it.

I think people really do compare Andromeda to their wrong memories of ME1.

But you're right of course, it's there as much as anything to set everything up, as someone else mentioned, a little side missioning and suddenly Cerberus is interesting.

I’ve never played Mass Effect before, looking for a long atmospheric story based RPG-lite game to get lost in which I can jump in and out of - problem is that right now I’m pretty slow on the old reaction times and can drift in and out of consciousness on the rare occasion. I’m pretty sure the story side of things is right up my street but is the game (or can it be) slow paced?

21 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I’ve never played Mass Effect before, looking for a long atmospheric story based RPG-lite game to get lost in which I can jump in and out of - problem is that right now I’m pretty slow on the old reaction times and can drift in and out of consciousness on the rare occasion. I’m pretty sure the story side of things is right up my street but is the game (or can it be) slow paced?

Play on casual, it's super easy in that mode, you'll love it Haribo. 

28 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I’m pretty sure the story side of things is right up my street but is the game (or can it be) slow paced?

More or less. Structurally you're largely in control of the pace as you generally choose what order to do missions in and optional content opens up as you progress, so if you aren't feeling up to something too involved you can just do some side stuff.

Combat does play a major part in the game, but you could optimise towards a play style that isn't dependant on reaction times. For one the games have difficulty settings which should largely trivialise encounters, but more importantly time pauses when you bring up your power/weapon wheels so you can take your time planning what to do next. You can set your squad to use all their powers automatically, too, so I imagine they can do most of the work for you at easier difficulties.

The series' various hacking minigames are probably the most reaction reliant aspects, but there aren't that many places where you have to engage with those; typically they're just gating extra resources/items. The first game's incessant Simon Says button prompt check is probably the worst of them, but in most cases you should be able to spend Omnigel to bypass it.

ME1 will probably suit you best as once you get your head around how it works the combat is pretty trivial even on normal and the main plot is nicely self contained but you can dabble with the galactic content to your hearts content. It’s quite a relaxed game.

ME2 and 3 are proper 3PS shooters but not all that tricky even on normal. I’ve had to turn the difficulty up to veteran on my current ME2 run as it was a bit too easy

Me at the end of ME1: Normandy you magnificent sleek bastard you, here’s to many more adventures together.

Me five minutes into ME2: Err what the fuck is this fucking shit?

1 hour ago, sammy said:

Me at the end of ME1: Normandy you magnificent sleek bastard you, here’s to many more adventures together.

Me five minutes into ME2: Err what the fuck is this fucking shit?

First time? 😉

ME2 done with all alive :)

Such a good pay off for your journey.

Trying to be Jacks friend somehow became romancing - turned her down and now she just yells ‘fuck off’ if I go near. Oops

LotSB and Arrival left to do

I have Firewalker to do but I remember it being crap and it’s not in the achievements which suggest Bioware know this.