IGNORED

Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Fargo

That's Mass Effect 1 finished. I think time really hasn't been kind to this game, and I was surprised to find that it's aged in more ways than just its looks and combat. The pacing is pretty bad for a start, not helped by the tedious side missions. 

Some of the design is a bit lacking too. The ships, and indeed the citadel look fantastic, but the planets you visit are all very bland and unmemorable, hindered further by the copy and pasted corridors and buildings.

The story is simpler than I remembered, and feels more like a pilot now that I know what comes next. It's also a pilot that doesn't really get going until the last quarter or so. It does get pretty great after that point mind.

I'm glad I played it again despite all that, and I'm looking forward to taking my brand new Shepard into the sequels. It's just not quite the game I remembered playing back in the day. 

Of course this doesn't take anything away from the impact it had on me at the time. Playing a game like this, in such a well developed universe and one of the best stories I'd experienced in a game was amazing, enhanced even more by the effect I seemed to be having on the story. I remember vividly reaching the end of Virmire, having learnt the truth about Sovereign and finding myself having to choose which crew member I was going to save. I stared at that choice for what seemed like ages before choosing, not quite believing what the game was asking of me. Things have moved on now, but at the time it was incredible.

11 hours ago, Mogster said:

That's Mass Effect 1 finished. I think time really hasn't been kind to this game, and I was surprised to find that it's aged in more ways than just its looks and combat. The pacing is pretty bad for a start, not helped by the tedious side missions. 

And the problem is those side missions contain a lot of the trilogy plot whereas the main game is really just 4 quests, 3 of which you don't always do in the same order.  And I've no idea if I had old or new Mako but it was awful and I couldn't find the option to change it.

I think people really do compare Andromeda to their wrong memories of ME1.

But you're right of course, it's there as much as anything to set everything up, as someone else mentioned, a little side missioning and suddenly Cerberus is interesting.

I’ve never played Mass Effect before, looking for a long atmospheric story based RPG-lite game to get lost in which I can jump in and out of - problem is that right now I’m pretty slow on the old reaction times and can drift in and out of consciousness on the rare occasion. I’m pretty sure the story side of things is right up my street but is the game (or can it be) slow paced?

21 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I’ve never played Mass Effect before, looking for a long atmospheric story based RPG-lite game to get lost in which I can jump in and out of - problem is that right now I’m pretty slow on the old reaction times and can drift in and out of consciousness on the rare occasion. I’m pretty sure the story side of things is right up my street but is the game (or can it be) slow paced?

Play on casual, it's super easy in that mode, you'll love it Haribo. 

28 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I’m pretty sure the story side of things is right up my street but is the game (or can it be) slow paced?

More or less. Structurally you're largely in control of the pace as you generally choose what order to do missions in and optional content opens up as you progress, so if you aren't feeling up to something too involved you can just do some side stuff.

Combat does play a major part in the game, but you could optimise towards a play style that isn't dependant on reaction times. For one the games have difficulty settings which should largely trivialise encounters, but more importantly time pauses when you bring up your power/weapon wheels so you can take your time planning what to do next. You can set your squad to use all their powers automatically, too, so I imagine they can do most of the work for you at easier difficulties.

The series' various hacking minigames are probably the most reaction reliant aspects, but there aren't that many places where you have to engage with those; typically they're just gating extra resources/items. The first game's incessant Simon Says button prompt check is probably the worst of them, but in most cases you should be able to spend Omnigel to bypass it.

ME1 will probably suit you best as once you get your head around how it works the combat is pretty trivial even on normal and the main plot is nicely self contained but you can dabble with the galactic content to your hearts content. It’s quite a relaxed game.

ME2 and 3 are proper 3PS shooters but not all that tricky even on normal. I’ve had to turn the difficulty up to veteran on my current ME2 run as it was a bit too easy

1 hour ago, sammy said:

Me at the end of ME1: Normandy you magnificent sleek bastard you, here’s to many more adventures together.

Me five minutes into ME2: Err what the fuck is this fucking shit?

First time? 😉

ME2 done with all alive :)

Such a good pay off for your journey.

Trying to be Jacks friend somehow became romancing - turned her down and now she just yells ‘fuck off’ if I go near. Oops

LotSB and Arrival left to do

I have Firewalker to do but I remember it being crap and it’s not in the achievements which suggest Bioware know this. 

I'd forgotten how tedious moving between stars and needing to refuel / restock probes was in ME2. Apart from that the game is still just as good as I remember and I'm enjoying wandering around the Citadel again and experiencing the Sheperd specific ads on the billboards. 

Started a femshep run this week as I’ve never done more than maybe half of 2 as her, but have finished all 3 on their first release as broshep.

I also haven’t played ME1 in ages, and the game still holds a special place in my heart for some reason.  I can’t put my finger on exactly why either but I just get this massive nostalgia wave in certain parts.  Like Noveria, for some reason I love that entire section, there’s something about that area that I just really love visiting again.  The music too, just hits me in a way nothing else does.

That said, Jesus Christ is it frustrating at times.  Sometimes you’ll just randomly get a spike in difficulty that comes out of no where.  Other times it’s your team mate ai, which can be truly awful - I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve moved for a better position for my dumbass team mates to basically zig zig in front of where I’m shooting.  Either that, or they push their way into the cover spots.  Not only that, the conversation wheel is really rough at times - if you made a drinking game where you took a shot whenever the result didn’t match what you were hoping from what you picked, you’d never leave the citadel because you’d have alcohol poisoning.

The good still outweighs it, but it feels like everything from the mechanics to the writing to fleshing out lore gets soooooo much more refined in the sequel

12 minutes ago, Minion said:

So I've unlocked the advanced training, what would one recommend for an adept, should I go Sniper or Assault? What's more fun?

Sniper is what I prefer, but if you're playing on Hardcore/Insanity you can unlock the Geth Pulse Rifle which is a really good assault rifle.

If you want specifics on how to get that....

Spoiler

If you're not already playing on Hardcore/Insanity then switch to that difficulty prior to starting the mission to recruit Tali. You'll unlock the gun during the mission.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Sniper is what I prefer, but if you're playing on Hardcore/Insanity you can unlock the Geth Pulse Rifle which is a really good assault rifle.

If you want specifics on how to get that....

Hide contents

If you're not already playing on Hardcore/Insanity then switch to that difficulty prior to starting the mission to recruit Tali. You'll unlock the gun during the mission.

Ahh thanks man! Damn I just did that mission I'm playing on Veteran I didn't realise they'd be different rewards for different difficulties, can I unlock it later? I'm thinking sniper but worried I'll spend more time in the scope instead of using my powers.

2 hours ago, Minion said:

Ahh thanks man! Damn I just did that mission I'm playing on Veteran I didn't realise they'd be different rewards for different difficulties, can I unlock it later? I'm thinking sniper but worried I'll spend more time in the scope instead of using my powers.

Nope, that's it. You can either load an earlier save, or try on another playthrough. If you're worried about looking down the scope* all the time then go for the assault rifle. Both are really fun.

*There's actually an issue in ME2 when using powers and a sniper rifle, the scope goes all skewiff. They fixed it in ME3 and I'm hoping it's fixed in this LE, I'm yet to test it.

18 hours ago, Hexx said:

First time? 😉

Yes!  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was a little bit annoyed as I was unable to finish some of the side quests due to getting through the main missions too quickly and don’t think the game made too clear I was getting past a point of no return. 

ME2 seems brilliant so far, combat is more engaging and was great to bump into Tali early on, looking forward to catching up with the rest of the gang 😀

20 hours ago, ryodi said:

I'd forgotten how tedious moving between stars and needing to refuel / restock probes was in ME2. Apart from that the game is still just as good as I remember and I'm enjoying wandering around the Citadel again and experiencing the Sheperd specific ads on the billboards. 

I'm the opposite. I love that shit. Getting each planetary system with 100%, probing for minerals, it's addictive stuff.

Who's bets to have in your squad in ME2? I've been using Mordin and Garrus but now I have Tali and soon I assume Liara it's getting tricky to choose. Do you swap around or keep the same crew. In ME1 I used Tali and Liara permanently but think maybe that's a boring.

18 minutes ago, Minion said:

Who's bets to have in your squad in ME2? I've been using Mordin and Garrus but now I have Tali and soon I assume Liara it's getting tricky to choose. Do you swap around or keep the same crew. In ME1 I used Tali and Liara permanently but think maybe that's a boring.

You won't have Liara in your squad apart from in the (excellent) Shadow Broker DLC.

Thinking back to my insanity run over a decade ago, the best two for me were Mordin for his powerful incineration ability, and Miranda for her Biotics, especially if you're an adept - you throw up a singularity or pull field, and then let Miranda detonate that with warp. Both Incinerate and Warp are excellent at taking down barriers and armour, which you need for the collectors.

Miranda is hard not to take. She’s the only one who can take on barriers, shields and armor. Her passive ability is bonkers too. 

My main combo was her and Garrus or Kasumi (shadow strike is insane cc)

For anything I was sure was just Geth Legion/Tali went for hacking madness. 

Jesus I forgot what a leap ME2 to 3 was.

Feels like the last game was running in treacle now compared to this greased lightening

Team members' talents and skills. Barriers? Shields? Armor? You obviously pick the coolest characters to accompany you on your universe saving space opera. Which are of course Grunt and Jack with a side order of Zaeed.

Mass Effect 2 was by far the best in terms of having team members who you could chop and change and always have a solid crew along for the ride. I always mixed it up with each and every mission I think!