Jump to content

Mass Effect Legendary Edition


Fargo
 Share

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, redbloodcel said:

 

You get to unlock a new weapon in ME2 during one of the missions about midway through the story:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

In the Collector ship when rescuing the Normandy crew. 

 

 

Nah, that's way late in the game, you unlock earlier than that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Nah, that's way late in the game, you unlock earlier than that. 

 

You're right that's the wrong bit, after a quick look it's 

Spoiler

When you investigate the derelict Collector ship, was mixing the missions together in my head! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d played ME1 for a few hours but similarly to all those years ago, and despite the improvements, I just wanted to get to ME2. I also was a little unhappy with my character creation and 6 hours in didn’t want to start over! 
 

Anyway I decided to just start ME2 this morning and use the interactive comic to set the choices from the first game. ME2 is fantastic, even after all these years. It was such a step up from the first game and has to rank as one of the most improved sequels of all time. I played it several times on 360 and PS3 but couldn’t put it down again after booting it up today. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The side missions in the original get tedious really quickly. At least they're all short.

 

I should have taken my own advice and split them up, doing one or two between main missions instead of all in a row. The game would probably have been improved if it had just drop fed them a little more.

 

I'm still having a good time replaying the original though. Female Shepherd has already become "my" Shepherd, probably thanks to how long it's been since I last played through with the male version. I'm finding it easy to vary her responses too, being harsh and angry when it fits, but calm and reasonable where it counts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a hot take: all the Mako stuff planet side where you're getting reamed by Thresher Maws, going into identical bunkers, collecting minerals, has agreed like milk. Best thing the sequels did was throw it in the garbage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Here's a hot take: all the Mako stuff planet side where you're getting reamed by Thresher Maws, going into identical bunkers, collecting minerals, has agreed like milk. Best thing the sequels did was throw it in the garbage.


can we keep the moon?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Here's a hot take: all the Mako stuff planet side where you're getting reamed by Thresher Maws, going into identical bunkers, collecting minerals, has agreed like milk. Best thing the sequels did was throw it in the garbage.

I completely forgot How many planets you could land on, my memory said it was like 6 but I think I’ve reached about 20 so far. Obviously the Unreal engine was awful at terrain at the time and the team didn’t want to spend too much time on it but I do appreciate the padding because it adds a thickness to the galaxy. Back when this came out any excuse to play more….

 

Im currently warping across the galaxy polishing off quests to get the trophy for completion then it’s on to the last sections with a nice single playthrough platinum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, SteveH said:

For anyone that still dips into No Mans Sky and misses the Normandy when you are there:

 

See it all looks very innocent but what I see is BioWare talking to Hello games about their procedural approach and Perhaps using it as middleware for the next Mass Effect game. From that I see Hello games long term future as a Popular middleware provider. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

Here's a hot take: all the Mako stuff planet side where you're getting reamed by Thresher Maws, going into identical bunkers, collecting minerals, has agreed like milk. Best thing the sequels did was throw it in the garbage.

 

I have no argument with the identical bunkers and the Thresher Maws being shit, but the first game had a proper sense of exploring the galaxy that was almost entirely absent from the sequels. The main story mission locations also felt like actual places that you had to physically navigate around. Much as I loved ME2, a lot of the missions and side quests have a distinct whiff of "Land here, talk to some people, fast travel here, shoot these guys, fast travel back to start point, finish quest" about it.

 

I would have been happy if ME2 had been more of the first game, but with better Mako handling, a greater variety of base layouts and the other QoL improvements (better HUD, squad controls, inventory management etc), but I appreciate that I'm in the minority there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

 

I have no argument with the identical bunkers and the Thresher Maws being shit, but the first game had a proper sense of exploring the galaxy that was almost entirely absent from the sequels. The main story mission locations also felt like actual places that you had to physically navigate around. Much as I loved ME2, a lot of the missions and side quests have a distinct whiff of "Land here, talk to some people, fast travel here, shoot these guys, fast travel back to start point, finish quest" about it.

 

I would have been happy if ME2 had been more of the first game, but with better Mako handling, a greater variety of base layouts and the other QoL improvements (better HUD, squad controls, inventory management etc), but I appreciate that I'm in the minority there.


That is kind of what they did in Andromeda though and we know how that went down...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Playing them back to back really accentuates the differences. 2  (onwards) is an action game with a particularly good story and conversation choices. A lot of that is down to completely changing the load out system and putting all skills onto a single timer.  As a pimped out engineer in 1 you basically just cycle through your skills, with a few pistol shots thrown in.  Here you are running for cover and shooting with one eye on the little circle.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am loving this.  I must have played some of the original on the 360 back in the day but probably dropped it quite early as I’m not far in and it all feels very new.

 

I’ve rescued Liara and done the Little Shop of Horrors planet so far, but the claws are in already!  I’ve gone Vanguard and am enjoying melting folks with the Polonium ammo, although the effect causes some awful slowdown (playing on PS5 and it doesn’t feel like the game should be particularly stretching it).
 

Quick question, are there any benefits for going full paragon or renegade?  I’ve started a bit goody two shoes, but some of the dialogue options are tempting me away from the path of virtue!
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, sammy said:

 

 

Quick question, are there any benefits for going full paragon or renegade?  I’ve started a bit goody two shoes, but some of the dialogue options are tempting me away from the path of virtue!
 

 

I would say so yes.  Put those points into speech options ASAP.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Harrisown said:

See it all looks very innocent but what I see is BioWare talking to Hello games about their procedural approach and Perhaps using it as middleware for the next Mass Effect game. From that I see Hello games long term future as a Popular middleware provider. 

 

I doubt it, every planet I've seen in NMS looks rubbish and the actual engine has awful pop-in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I've finished every side quest I have in the first game, killed the space racist on Virmire and I'm heading off to Ilos ready for what is possibly the best ending in gaming history and I've had to turn it off because the other half wants to watch Eurovision. :hmm:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:


That is kind of what they did in Andromeda though and we know how that went down...

 

Yeah playing ME1 is making me realise how much Andromeda actually does right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Here's a hot take: all the Mako stuff planet side where you're getting reamed by Thresher Maws, going into identical bunkers, collecting minerals, has agreed like milk. Best thing the sequels did was throw it in the garbage.

 

I think the uncharted worlds are fine conceptually, but their execution is poor pretty much across the board. In isolation the Mako controls okay, for example, but you're having to navigate it around height-map worlds littered with geometry that make it as annoying as possible to get anywhere, with even most of the points of interest not having a clear route to get to them. If there were half as many worlds, with those that remain being more hand-crafted so they're enjoyable to navigate and each features a unique NPC encounter, it would already be a dramatic improvement.

 

In general the first Mass Effect has combat encounters that often feel barely designed, but this is especially true of the side content. Each room is such a mess of boxes, blind corners and enemies flitting it and out of cover that your options are basically:

  1. Rush around with a shotgun, stun-locking enemies with knockdowns.
  2. Retreat down a corridor to funnel all the enemies into a choke point and spam abilities, cursing your squad mates for getting in the way.

 

Then you have the minerals and artefacts. Having such trinkets in the environments makes sense to encourage exploration, but again they're annoying to get to and then when you do you have to do the Simon Says thing every time; I don't even know what that interaction is supposed to represent in the context of plopping down a marker or picking up an object.

 

The Bring Down the Sky DLC is actually a pretty good example of what the optional planets could have been like. A short self-contained story, world geometry actually sculpted for the vehicle you're using and a decent variety in combat encounters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Mass Effect 1 platinum in the bag.

99 Harricritic

 

Also end credits music is cool 😎 


Funny, while waiting to see if anything was going to happen at the end I picked up my guitar and played endless cheesy rock solos over it. I think it’s in Bm. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, sammy said:

I am loving this.  I must have played some of the original on the 360 back in the day but probably dropped it quite early as I’m not far in and it all feels very new.

 

I’ve rescued Liara and done the Little Shop of Horrors planet so far, but the claws are in already!  I’ve gone Vanguard and am enjoying melting folks with the Polonium ammo, although the effect causes some awful slowdown (playing on PS5 and it doesn’t feel like the game should be particularly stretching it).
 

Quick question, are there any benefits for going full paragon or renegade?  I’ve started a bit goody two shoes, but some of the dialogue options are tempting me away from the path of virtue!
 

 

As Mogster says above, mixing it up makes for the most satisfying roleplaying experience. You never know quite what you're going to get obviously, but she's rarely just stroppy with the renegade responses, and some of the best moments in the game come from those 'unlocked' dialogue responses. So yes, put some points in!

 

My Shepard is respectful to friends and allies, but takes no shit from the galaxy's many fools and timewasters. I'm a little bit in love with her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First game done and platinum.

 

You do everything and you still can't hit level 30 :D (Except the minerals as  I ended up missing 1 heavy light metal :()

 

But due to the higher level my rewards were silly :D I'm 09999999 credits, full gel and stuff. First time I've ever bought the Spectre weapons. Jesus they wreck.  😎

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone heard if the in game timer when you save is broken ? I can’t have played it for the amount of time it’s saying I’ve spent on ME2 😅 unless it counts ME1 on the same timer perhaps. 
 

also is the HDR calibration tool in game way off for anyone else? My game seemed to have auto HDR enabled so I’ve disabled that at the system level. The game looks good but I just went with the default HDR settings as using the calibration meant the game was far to dark. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Hexx said:

First game done and platinum.

 

You do everything and you still can't hit level 30 :D (Except the minerals as  I ended up missing 1 heavy light metal :()

 

But due to the higher level my rewards were silly :D I'm 09999999 credits, full gel and stuff. First time I've ever bought the Spectre weapons. Jesus they wreck.  😎

 

You get higher exp if you leave the Mako to finish off enemies.

Edited by Cosmic_Guru
Not any more
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

You get higher exp if you leave the Mako to finish off enemies.

That’s no longer true in the Legendary Edition afaik. 
 

Mako kills used to reward less XP in the original Mass Effect but the Legendary Edition rewards full XP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:


That is kind of what they did in Andromeda though and we know how that went down...


Yes: wonderfully. :mad:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.