Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Fargo

7 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

That is kind of what they did in Andromeda though and we know how that went down...

Yeah playing ME1 is making me realise how much Andromeda actually does right.

9 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Here's a hot take: all the Mako stuff planet side where you're getting reamed by Thresher Maws, going into identical bunkers, collecting minerals, has agreed like milk. Best thing the sequels did was throw it in the garbage.

I think the uncharted worlds are fine conceptually, but their execution is poor pretty much across the board. In isolation the Mako controls okay, for example, but you're having to navigate it around height-map worlds littered with geometry that make it as annoying as possible to get anywhere, with even most of the points of interest not having a clear route to get to them. If there were half as many worlds, with those that remain being more hand-crafted so they're enjoyable to navigate and each features a unique NPC encounter, it would already be a dramatic improvement.

In general the first Mass Effect has combat encounters that often feel barely designed, but this is especially true of the side content. Each room is such a mess of boxes, blind corners and enemies flitting it and out of cover that your options are basically:

1. Rush around with a shotgun, stun-locking enemies with knockdowns.
  2. Retreat down a corridor to funnel all the enemies into a choke point and spam abilities, cursing your squad mates for getting in the way.

Then you have the minerals and artefacts. Having such trinkets in the environments makes sense to encourage exploration, but again they're annoying to get to and then when you do you have to do the Simon Says thing every time; I don't even know what that interaction is supposed to represent in the context of plopping down a marker or picking up an object.

The Bring Down the Sky DLC is actually a pretty good example of what the optional planets could have been like. A short self-contained story, world geometry actually sculpted for the vehicle you're using and a decent variety in combat encounters.

7 hours ago, sammy said:

I am loving this.  I must have played some of the original on the 360 back in the day but probably dropped it quite early as I’m not far in and it all feels very new.

I’ve rescued Liara and done the Little Shop of Horrors planet so far, but the claws are in already!  I’ve gone Vanguard and am enjoying melting folks with the Polonium ammo, although the effect causes some awful slowdown (playing on PS5 and it doesn’t feel like the game should be particularly stretching it).

Quick question, are there any benefits for going full paragon or renegade?  I’ve started a bit goody two shoes, but some of the dialogue options are tempting me away from the path of virtue!

As Mogster says above, mixing it up makes for the most satisfying roleplaying experience. You never know quite what you're going to get obviously, but she's rarely just stroppy with the renegade responses, and some of the best moments in the game come from those 'unlocked' dialogue responses. So yes, put some points in!

My Shepard is respectful to friends and allies, but takes no shit from the galaxy's many fools and timewasters. I'm a little bit in love with her.

First game done and platinum.

You do everything and you still can't hit level 30 :D (Except the minerals as  I ended up missing 1 heavy light metal :()

But due to the higher level my rewards were silly :D I'm 09999999 credits, full gel and stuff. First time I've ever bought the Spectre weapons. Jesus they wreck.  😎

Has anyone heard if the in game timer when you save is broken ? I can’t have played it for the amount of time it’s saying I’ve spent on ME2 😅 unless it counts ME1 on the same timer perhaps. 

also is the HDR calibration tool in game way off for anyone else? My game seemed to have auto HDR enabled so I’ve disabled that at the system level. The game looks good but I just went with the default HDR settings as using the calibration meant the game was far to dark. 

9 hours ago, Hexx said:

First game done and platinum.

You do everything and you still can't hit level 30 :D (Except the minerals as  I ended up missing 1 heavy light metal :()

But due to the higher level my rewards were silly :D I'm 09999999 credits, full gel and stuff. First time I've ever bought the Spectre weapons. Jesus they wreck.  😎

You get higher exp if you leave the Mako to finish off enemies.

Edited by Cosmic_Guru
Not any more

6 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

You get higher exp if you leave the Mako to finish off enemies.

That’s no longer true in the Legendary Edition afaik. 

Mako kills used to reward less XP in the original Mass Effect but the Legendary Edition rewards full XP. 

41 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Holy shit getting my arse kicked on insanity in Mass Effect 2.

The shooting is miles better. They are very different games.

Exactly  -  this is a shooter . I completed the first two on insanity but a lot of 2 was spent picking off enemies with a sniper rifle with both team mates dead. Don't have the patience for that now. 

1 hour ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Exactly  -  this is a shooter . I completed the first two on insanity but a lot of 2 was spent picking off enemies with a sniper rifle with both team mates dead. Don't have the patience for that now. 

Definitely.

I did insanity back in the day, I think it’s just getting a foothold and getting a good amount of abilities.

I got all the achievements back on 360.

F2EEA4C5-4098-49BF-862C-B9E196DDC8E0.jpeg.667103c6aff003a16eac1c76be301496.jpeg

And that's ME1 done. Really enjoyed being back in this world. Had a few bugs that were annoying:

During the runup in the Mako on Ilos, the Mako flipped and didn't autocorrect like it's supposed too, so it was stuck on its roof and I couldn't get out.

After bulk deleting a bunch of menu items I became stuck on the inventory screen.

On one planet I exited the Mako and was unable to press X on anything. Including getting back into the Mako, so was essentially stranded on the planet.

Aside from that though, it was fun! :lol: Now onto ME2, the greatest game of a generation.

40 minutes ago, Gambit said:

On one planet I exited the Mako and was unable to press X on anything. Including getting back into the Mako, so was essentially stranded on the planet.

A bit late for you, but in case anyone else runs afoul of it: that issue at least can be resolved by saving and reloading; and as an aside, you don't need to get in the Mako to leave a generic planet — go to the map screen and press... square, I guess? Whichever button corresponds to the X on an Xbox pad.

Sadly, no. I'm very surprised that they didn't modify that for the Legendary edition at least, and it's meant I've been playing through on Insanity without catering my headgear to my playstyle because I actually like being able to see my character.

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Just made a start on ME1 and it's slightly annoyed me that I've had to look online what the controls are. Why doesn't it tell you in the menus? :hmm:

And I'm guessing you don't have a physical copy because unlike most games it comes with a manual.

And by a manual I mean a sheet with the controls for all 3 games.

I have finished 1 and now starting 2. I was nearly full on Paragon in 1 but would like to try Renegade in 2. Some points have carried over, but can I still realistically make enough progress down the Renegade path in 2 for it to be worthwhile or is it more an average between the two games?

Spoiler free answers appreciated, I'm on my first play through.

I've been a lot more willing to renegade than my general paragon approach to games this time but if I do a 3rd play I'm so being that middle manager you fucking hate.

Renegade to literally everyone except the chain of command (Council/Udina/Anderson) who I will bootlick like a motherfucker.

I'm only a few hours into 1, still in the Citadel after just recruiting Wrex and Garrus. I like the richness of the world-building and the dialogue, but I'd forgotten how much of an talky talky RPG it was in the 14 years since I last played it, certainly compared with 2 and 3. I'm finding it a bit slow at the moment. Hopefully the pace will pick up a bit more soon. I really can't remember much about it and I've stayed away from most media or chat about it for fear of spoilers.

Is it obvious what's DLC and what isn't? I've got a vague memory that 'Lair of the Shadowbroker' was a DLC  chapter that I never bothered with, but I can't remember which game in the trilogy it was for.