IGNORED

Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Fargo

22 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Any opinions on how this runs with regards to performance vs quality modes? Thought there would have been a DF video about it by now. 

I'm actually surprised there isn't one. Maybe after the weekend.

Well after thinking ME1 seemed to be significantly more janky than my memories of the 360 version after playing the Eden Prime section last night after more than the odd glass of wine, turns out the game was trying to use my internal graphics which explained a lot. It wasn’t until the cut scene where the Prothean artifact explodes that turned into a slide show that I really twigged this is not right...

One graphics driver update later and now on the Citadel and oh actually it looks rather nice and quite compatible to the later games (still looks like a 360 era game mind).

There certainly are big improvements in the combat from my hazy memories, probably partly because I understand how to play an ME game now but it does now feel like you aim and pull the trigger and it actually does something and I didn’t repeatedly die during the confront Fist sequence which is where I gave up all those years ago. 

Still running around doing side quests on the Citadel now and really strikes me how similar an opening ME1 has to Andromeda. Looking forward to opening things up when I get control of the Normandy...

Really looking forward to more of this...never got past this point in the original and it must be a decade since I last played ME2 so I doubt I’ll remember much 

1 hour ago, dreamylittledream said:

Really looking forward to more of this...never got past this point in the original and it must be a decade since I last played ME2 so I doubt I’ll remember much 

The game gets exponentially better after your first visit to the Citadel, which can overstay its welcome. I suspect loads of people gave up before they left the damn place on original release!

It is a very easy way to bag xp though...

Just realised I have done the Bring Down The Sky DLC. Just shows really how much of an after thought DLC used to be.

Bland doesn’t really cover it but I still had fun with the combat, I’m getting a feel for it but I’m also discovering lots of bugs like power not work even though they are ready.

I'm having a great time reliving my first experience of this game; spending ages designing my Shepard, playing for two hours, realising my Shepard looks all wrong in-game and starting all over again... :D

The combat does feel a bit tighter than I remember, so I guess the changes have had some effect. I'm curious to find out how the Mako controls now.

10 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I'm having a great time reliving my first experience of this game; spending ages designing my Shepard, playing for two hours, realising my Shepard looks all wrong in-game and starting all over again... :D

The combat does feel a bit tighter than I remember, so I guess the changes have had some effect. I'm curious to find out how the Mako controls now.

The Mako controls almost exactly like a Halo Warthog now. Similar feel to it as well. Though the warthog will always be the best.

3 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

The Mako controls almost exactly like a Halo Warthog now. Similar feel to it as well. Though the warthog will always be the best.

Yes, I set the Mako controls to the more modern version, with a mouse it works really well.

13 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Any opinions on how this runs with regards to performance vs quality modes? Thought there would have been a DF video about it by now

I think they are busy on another mortal shells update. :D

I'd be happy to see a DF look at this, but it would be a huge undertaking to do properly - it is a remastered trilogy, after all, so a full-fat dive into it would mean comparing the three games individually, and cross-comparing not only across PS5/4/Pro/XSX/XSS/XO/XOX/PC, but also against the originals on 360/PC/PS3/Wii U and as played on Xbox backwards compatibility. That's a lot of stuff to cover!

It’s definitely lost the grunge from the originals which I thought was actually part of the charm. It’s not like Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen had made it into space but stuff looks cleaner. (reminds me of a mass effect andromeda quote “they’re coming out of the woodwork”……Christ)

I’m seeing so many bugs though. I’m off the beaten track a little doing sidey stuff and picking up liara but I’m often selecting powers that get used but don’t execute, as well as the completely missing the target and warping a wall next to Shepard.

Hacked enemies suddenly rush me and just keep running into me.

Shep stopped turning with the camera….that was odd.

I'll put this in Spoiler tags just in case there are people playing ME1 for the first time. It's relating to the Kaiden/Ashley choice.

Spoiler

I can't believe I actually kept Ashley alive in my first playthrough back in the day. I'm only a few missions in and I'm already pissed off with her space racism.

I was hoping my One X would be able to give me 1080 60 at least, sadly performance is all over the shop, even on the frame rate setting :( Hopefully 2 and 3 will run better as they've seemingly had less touching up.

Anyway in other news, I am loving ME1.  

Maybe it’s the improvements, or maybe I’m just I’m giving it a proper go this time but I’m enjoying it just as much as the later 3 titles which I adored (yes even Andromeda).

In fact so far it really reminds me most of Andromeda, a long sequence after the cold opening on the central ship with lots of little starter side quests and opening up into a big galaxy for exploring and the Mako is pretty much the same as the buggy thing in Andromeda.

After visiting a few random worlds and killing a giant maw I’ve gone off to rescue my Shep’s one true love. The combat is still very different to the following games but it’s a lot more fun this time around

On 15/05/2021 at 19:48, Thor said:

I'm actually surprised there isn't one. Maybe after the weekend.

14 hours ago, Oz said:

I think they are busy on another mortal shells update. :D

Well here ya go

Curse my ancient, drunken brain but I didn't think series s could do 4k?

7 hours ago, Harrisown said:

It’s definitely lost the grunge from the originals which I thought was actually part of the charm. It’s not like Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen had made it into space but stuff looks cleaner. (reminds me of a mass effect andromeda quote “they’re coming out of the woodwork”……Christ)

It was def a game where the grunge was used to hide the rough edges and detail was almost hinted at sometimes. Now it’s all out in the open and can look a bit rough like the new texture artists are having to fill in the blanks.

I am finding the first game hard going tbh, I remember loving it back in the day, think it was my fave out of the 3 but it has not aged well, I have tried to play for a good long session a few times but I end up looking at my phone while I skip the dialogue and start feeling like I need nap.

9 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

It was def a game where the grunge was used to hide the rough edges and detail was almost hinted at sometimes. Now it’s all out in the open and can look a bit rough like the new texture artists are having to fill in the blanks.

I am finding the first game hard going tbh, I remember loving it back in the day, think it was my fave out of the 3 but it has not aged well, I have tried to play for a good long session a few times but I end up looking at my phone while I skip the dialogue and start feeling like I need nap.

I still think it looks great. I mean it’s a great remaster. Just watch the digital foundry video and you can see just what they’ve done and remember this is 3 games in one.

The side stuff in the first game is rough mainly and more generally the combat. I still find the combat a lot of fun but it seems a little broken at times.

The original came out just 2 years after 360 was born in 2007 (probably the best year ever for game releases) and I still think it’s a remarkable achievement…..but I am really looking forward to getting on to the second game.