Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Wonder how much work they're doing to it. The first game is a brilliant game buried in early 360 gen jank and archaic environments and design decisions. Polish that up a lot and you have something special. The sequels don't need anything done to them apart from maybe just removing the last hour of 3.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

None of them are enhanced iirc so it's just the 360 version running at whatever low resolution it was back then.

Cool, maybe modded PC versions are the way to go...

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I loved the first one, finished it twice even. But nowadays whenever Mass Effect is mentioned it's the disappointment of the third one that I think of first. And then how I liked the second one, but it was already a bit too action shootmans-ey for my tastes and the presentation of the setting felt more generic - loved the Star Trek with a downbeat twist style atmosphere of the first. Second one was more generic sci-fi, and the third was full-blown "Michael Bay IN SPAAAAACE"

I appreciate that I'm in the minority here. That's okay. But I can't see me ever replaying the first two knowing that the final chapter is shite.

I came in here to write this almost exactly. 

Absolute day one on this trilogy, can't wait

8 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

None of them are enhanced iirc so it's just the 360 version running at whatever low resolution it was back then.

Although the first game ran at an unlocked frame rate with loads of tearing and had spectacular loading times, all of which would be fixed by just running on the new console. So that's not nothing.

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Although the first game ran at an unlocked frame rate with loads of tearing and had spectacular loading times, all of which would be fixed by just running on the new console. So that's not nothing.

That's a really good point! 

The PC version would hands down be the best if BioWare weren't in their "no controller support in any of our PC versions out of principle!" phase back then. It can be modded in alongside a bunch of visual enhancements to make it most likely look even better than the remaster will end up looking, but it's a faff. 

Enhanced on Xbox BC would be ideal but I suspect EA isn't keen on allowing free enhancements on any of their older games that could potentially be rereleased as remaster down the line. Hope the remaster turns out well.

Also hope they include the DLC - you'd assume they would but I can totally see EA having the balls to sell the remastered DLC separately :D Genuine concerns! :lol:

9 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I loved the first one, finished it twice even. But nowadays whenever Mass Effect is mentioned it's the disappointment of the third one that I think of first. And then how I liked the second one, but it was already a bit too action shootmans-ey for my tastes and the presentation of the setting felt more generic - loved the Star Trek with a downbeat twist style atmosphere of the first. Second one was more generic sci-fi, and the third was full-blown "Michael Bay IN SPAAAAACE"

I appreciate that I'm in the minority here. That's okay. But I can't see me ever replaying the first two knowing that the final chapter is shite.

No I'm with you - none of the other games really hit the high of the finale of the first game. That whole sequence the first time through was just incredible. 

And the ending to 3 totally fucked it.

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

Wonder how much work they're doing to it. The first game is a brilliant game buried in early 360 gen jank and archaic environments and design decisions. Polish that up a lot and you have something special. The sequels don't need anything done to them apart from maybe just removing the last hour of 3.

I'd have changed the last boss of 2 too - it shouldn't have been what it was. Completely out of left field and crap.

Spoiler

Making it some huge terminator man was stupid. It should have been one of the octopus reapers we had been familiar with throughout the whole game, of course.

46 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's a really good point! 

The PC version would hands down be the best if BioWare weren't in their "no controller support in any of our PC versions out of principle!" phase back then. It can be modded in alongside a bunch of visual enhancements to make it most likely look even better than the remaster will end up looking, but it's a faff. 

It's a faff, but yeah, you can even add Raytracing to the PC version:

12 hours ago, mdn2 said:

And given the relatively small updates EA have given Burnout Paradise and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit this gen, I wouldn't expect a huge upgrade. 

Just having it and the DLC I never played, at least partly because of how badly they fucked up that on PC (at one point inventing their own Microsoft points style system for buying it) would be enough for me.

As a PS3 owner ME2 was my introduction to the series and what a great way to begin that journey.

I'll very happily play through the entire trilogy again, I already have my ME2 team planned: Grunt and Jack. No question.

edit: hmm, I forgot about Legion. And Mordin. Damn it, things are not as clear cut as I had hoped.

17 hours ago, Spacehost said:

What does running on Unreal Engine have to do with anything? EA stopped using UE for games about five years back, two major engine revisions ago.

Assuming the engine isn’t the problem- and it is, absolutely, a problem, none of what was done on the first games can Ctrl-Ved into Frostbite 3- they’d need to redo all the content to meet your goal of a ground up remake; textures, models, mocap, animation, voice acting and effects, rebuilding the dynamic audio, relicensing audio and dialogue, likeness rights. That’s years of work and tens of millions of dollars per game.

If people start throwing a shitfit and harassing developers again because it isn’t some glorious FFVII reimagining of the game I’ll be livid. I’d adore it if it WAS done, but it’s crazy to go mental because EA didn’t punt $60mil into a ten year old RPG re-release they’re selling for £30.

thye don’t need to upgrade the animations or mocap or acting or any of that stuff. They’re the bit that are timeless.

For the record I was one of the people who was completely and utterly against them redoing the ending due to pressure from angry gamers.

I actually never played the updated ending in protest.

1 minute ago, Harrisown said:

thye don’t need to upgrade the animations or mocap or acting or any of that stuff. They’re the bit that are timeless.

For the record I was one of the people who was completely and utterly against them redoing the ending due to pressure from angry gamers.

I actually never played the updated ending in protest.

So you want a ground up remake in the style of SotC on PS4...

... that remakes none of the assets in the game?

The assets In Mass effect were generally of very good quality to being with but would benefit greatly from a texture and material overhaul. Lighting, post processing effects, particle effects, hdr, 4k , 60fps

What you assume I’m expecting is not what I’m expecting.

17 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Ah, the rare pleasure of getting to share my 100% correct opinion on something with someone else.

ME1 is the game I love in the series, and I'm always saddened that ME2 moved it from epic, dumb space opera to an episodic action series feel, which ME3 ran with. Irrespective of its ending, the third game just rang hollow to me thanks to its bitty structure, its need to put every character you knew in it feeling fanservicey rather than in service to the game's actual drama or themes. Alas.

(tangentially related: I actually quite like Andromeda, despite its many failings. The MMO emptiness/bloat and... Variable writing quality hurt it a lot, but structurally I enjoyed it, and I appreciated that it didn't feel the need to shoehorn the original trilogy's characters and story in)

The amazing thing about all three games is that even though they've got bad moments, you can really feel the care and love everyone involved has.

Except for Omega. That sure puts the F into OOF

I hope they don't ditch the Mako driving in ME1. One of my favourite bits of the game, being dumped on an alien world and exploring. There was some amazing flavour text that gave the whole thing life, I still remember the planet that was facing increased volcanic activity as it was dropping slowly into the sun and the planet perfect for human life were it not for the pollen (leading to helmets being kept on.)

I was between jobs when I got ME3, I had to delete the multiplayer because I was spending too much time on it.

3 also had the best DLC, The Citadel. A high point of the series and the best part of 3.

If they price it right and give it a general cleanup I will bite. I'm not expecting a massive overhaul.

Give me 4k 60 and bug fixes and I'm happy. Oh and less than £30.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Give me 4k 60 and bug fixes and I'm happy. Oh and less than £30.

Burnout Paradise Remastered's pricing suggests that to be... unlikely.

ME1 was poorly implemented on the 360

ME2 was brilliant, rinsed the whole thing. Would probably play it again. Best thing about it was the episodic nature of it all, I could play for an hour and actually achieve something.

13 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Burnout Paradise Remastered's pricing suggests that to be... unlikely.

Very true, but I will be waiting for a sale anyway as plenty to play. Prob pick it up when it's sub £20 

2 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

Mass Effect 2 is the best if deep down you want to watch Coronation Street but need a cool sci-fi veneer to your soaps to justify them.

Zaeed was originally going to be played by the actor who portrays Dev but he had to pull out at the last minute after his wife accidentally poked him in the eye with one of those small plastic mechanical sharks on a stick 

1 hour ago, SM47 said:

Zaeed was originally going to be played by the actor who portrays Dev but he had to pull out at the last minute after his wife accidentally poked him in the eye with one of those small plastic mechanical sharks on a stick 

Which DLC was this?