Mass Effect Legendary Edition

26 minutes ago, Flanders said:

I swear Kai Leng was in Mass Effect 3 for about three minutes of actual screen time plus his boss fight, the way people go on you’d think he was a main character. 

He sticks out because the developers clearly wanted him to be a 'badass' villain, with characters talking up how formidable he is, when he just comes across as a lame try-hard that gets to win in all the cutscenes. It's aggravating because nothing about the character is earned, kind of like Shepard's fixation on the kid in the vent.

If you replaced every appearance of Kai Leng with one of the generic Cerberus techno-ninjas, I don't think anyone would have even remarked upon it.

That Kai Leng stands so tall over everything else in ME3 despite his limited screen time is a testament to how utterly awful and out of place he is. How do you manage to be out of place in a game with space banshees? Well, apparently it can be done.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

That Kai Leng stands so tall over everything else in ME3 despite his limited screen time is a testament to how utterly awful and out of place he is. How do you manage to be out of place in a game with space banshees? Well, apparently it can be done.

Tell me more. I did not find him out of place at the time. Shouldn’t there be space ninjas in this game?

Wonder if some of the camera placement for Miranda will be a bit out of place in 2021. I think it would be a shame if they mess with that. I would rather they just do bum shots for more male characters to balance it out. 

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Kai Leng felt like one of those 2010-2014 era characters in games that you'd only really appreciate if you played the mobile spin off title, seen the Madhouse Production anime and read the five-issue short run comic that they only sold in the US.

39 minutes ago, Oz said:

Tell me more. I did not find him out of place at the time. Shouldn’t there be space ninjas in this game?

I mean, ignoring the slightly embarrassing thing where they decided the one (1) significant character with vaguely East Asian looks should be a sword-wielding cyber-ninja,* it's:

a) he's presented as a big bad important threat but you're never actually given a reason to care, because all of his build-up comes from the tie-in novels and comic**

b) he commits the cardinal game sin of Winning Through Cutscene to big him up as a threat (and in turn makes your squad feel incompetent)

c) your battle with him is massively anticlimactic, making previous Winning Through Cutscene even more egregious.

But, honestly, even with out that there's plain old d), the fact that he looks like this:

832330746_KaiLenglol.thumb.jpg.9ba3de719889d4bdfaf49105e3b70441.jpg

I mean, just because everyone started referring to one of the more beloved cast as 'space batman' didn't mean they had to go and make a flipping Nightwing x Iron Man knock-off. He just looks embarrassing and - yes - out of place.

*while the other character with an East Asian name (Kasumi) is, er, a stealth ninja

**though, given one of those novels and the comic are utter tripe, actually having suffered through reading them just makes him more insufferable

35 minutes ago, Oz said:

It's not even that he's a space ninja,  everything about the character on paper could've worked. He, specifically, is just completely uninteresting visually, in dialogue... he has an absurd fixation with you but you know nothing about him and seemingly the writers felt there was nothing to know about him. He's just there, bafflingly, at a few critical junctures of the plot where I guess they couldn't come up with a character to fill a space.

One thing I thought was best in me3 was the weight system for inventory. I didn’t like having a grenade launcher in my back at all times which I never used. The me3 system provided the best flexibility. I would be for working that system back to all games. In general having consistent combat mechanics and just the one character reset in two. 

I seem to remember the Kai Leng from the prequel novels being quite an enigmatic character. A shadowy assassin, kind of like an intergalactic Agent 47. The portrayal in the game was far removed from that, he was basically an even shitter Nightwing.  

Kai Leng definitely represents the nadir of the Mass Effect trilogy. 

The nadir of the Mass Effect series as a whole is the writing in Andromeda. "My face is tired", "That's the worst part, his heart was broken right before it exploded". We're talking "I don't like sand" levels of bad dialogue. :lol: Also, they tweaked the Turian physiology to be more like the Salarians, I'm assuming so they could use the same character mesh/skeleton to animate them. The Turians all stand dragging their knuckles, looking like they're about to take a shit. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Kai Leng definitely represents the nadir of the Mass Effect trilogy. 

The nadir of the Mass Effect series as a whole is the writing in Andromeda. "My face is tired", "That's the worst part, his heart was broken right before it exploded". We're talking "I don't like sand" levels of bad dialogue. :lol: Also, they tweaked the Turian physiology to be more like the Salarians, I'm assuming so they could use the same character mesh/skeleton to animate them. The Turians all stand dragging their knuckles, looking like they're about to take a shit. 

The dialogue is pretty fucking bad, it has to be said. 

But the story itself I find really intriguing! I think it's got a huge amount of good ideas lurking within it!

6 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Hmm, some nicer models and textures <_<

No offence to anyone that has done this already, but what's the benefit of pre-ordering? It's software?

There is *never* any benefit of pre-ordering.

Ever.

But - even after my moaning about the prices - I'll probably end up doing it.

Because I am a fool who loves too much.

18 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Hmm, some nicer models and textures <_<

No offence to anyone that has done this already, but what's the benefit of pre-ordering? It's software?

I know I'll buy it anyway, so it's a little treat to May me from February me.

15 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

There’s nothing wrong with Kai Leng, literally just a surrogate boss fight for the Illusive Man. You could read into anything and draw a bias conclusion. 

Nah, he's pretty shit. 

Oh my god, I had totally forgotten the 'his heart was broken right before it exploded' line. Genuinely one of the must unintentionally hilarious pieces of dialogue I've ever heard. It's delivered with such sincerity.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

There is *never* any benefit of pre-ordering.

I remember me2 having some cool armor with the pre-order back then. there was no other way to get it etc. didn't they have a bunch of different preorder thingys with me2. there was the burger king combo and whatever. or am I thinking on another game which came out around that time? around this time is when people started creating infographs with all the various pre-order bonuses of each game. seems a long time ago now :D 

I think if they do enough to the combat in me1 there will be massive collective consesus by new players that this was by far the best one in the franchise. there are a few cool places in me2 like omega that are perhaps more memorable than the locations of me1 but it is just more uneven in terms of story and characters. 

really the best part of me2 when you think about it was

Spoiler

shadowbroker. "stop giving the mercs ideas Liara!" 

9 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

There’s nothing wrong with Kai Leng, literally just a surrogate boss fight for the Illusive Man.

Conversely I'd say that the second half of your sentence has already identified something wrong.

ME1 is definitely the best ME, what level of change have they made to this, is it just souped up graphics and engine? I hope they won't be changing ME1 into a lame cover shooter like they did with the rest of the series. I'll get this solely for ME1 as long as it's not significantly changed.

2 minutes ago, Minion said:

ME1 is definitely the best ME, what level of change have they made to this, is it just souped up graphics and engine? I hope they won't be changing ME1 into a lame cover shooter like they did with the rest of the series. I'll get this solely for ME1 as long as it's not significantly changed.

Nah, the game should play pretty much exactly the same just with updated visuals and a small tinker to the controls I think. 

38 minutes ago, Minion said:

The HUD is from later games. For sure.

Engine seemed the same. I was disappointed when I looked at it on the phone. But looked beautiful on the monitor when I saw it on my PC.

I actually replayed me1 not that long ago on the PC I think it holds up just fine in that version. I wish therefore they do a bit more with this version.

I did not think the shooting was lame in later games. The biotics mechanics introduced in the second of bending pull around cover was really a lot of fun. I would also used biotic charge a lot.

The nostalgia is really eating my alive at this point. I wish this was coming out sooner. It will be a long wait. 

7 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Thanks for posting this. This dude’s beard is really irritating to me for some reason. Why is he shaving just his upper lip? Or have they removed it with cg? :D