Vigil: The Longest Night - PC, Switch - 2D Soulsborne horror adventure

Vigil: The Longest Night is out today on PC and Switch.

I was playing it last week for review. It's pretty much 2D Souls, or more Bloodborne in terms of plot and tone. If you've ever played Salt & Sanctuary, you'll know the sort of thing. Or a bigger, darker Bloodstained: RotN. Except I think it's better than those. The map is huge, and the game leaves you alone most of the time to explore and solve its mysteries. It's a great one to get lost in for hours, uncovering new locations and secrets.

The only problem is that performance on Switch was iffy. It crashed more than a few times, and I'm waiting to see how much difference the day-one patch makes. Otherwise though, one of my favourite games of the year.

I won't put the trailer here because it shows too many of the bosses, but here's a vid of the opening section:

38 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

looks pretty cool, how does the character feel to control? 

It's pretty slick really. It's generous with things like its stamina system and a fast dodge roll. Once you start unlocking the weapon skill trees, you end up with a range of attacks and specials. You don't have to be as deliberate and careful as in a Souls game.

The one issue I had on Switch was swapping between weapons, as there's always a pause. Another performace related thing, unfortunately. From what I've seen, it's much smoother on PC.

35 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

This looks interesting but I do wonder, when does homage become plagiarism? The menus and sound effects could have been ripped directly from the souls games.

Yeah, it's drawing heavily on Salt & Sanctuary, which was even more blatantly a 2D Souls. It's a shame it copies some aspects so directly.

I think the world itself is sufficiently different to maintain a sense of mystery, though. It has the hook of a good Souls game, which comes from its own atmosphere and design. 

This sounds like it should be right up my street, since I'm a big fan of the Soulsbourne games and really enjoyed Salt and Sanctuary. But there's something I find off-putting about the art style. Is there a good variety in locations and enemy types, or does the whole game look more or less like the first area?

Plenty of different locations and enemy types, yeah. Although the art style stays the same of course.

Personally I think it's a great style for horror, because it gives everything this uncanny feel. The detail makes it look kind of real, but the layers and animation style turn it into a kind of puppet show, which causes dissonance.

It's no coincidence that Detention did something similar and both games come from Taiwan, drawing on (I read somewhere) traditions of Chinese paper cut-out art and shadow puppetry. It gels with the sense that there's some unseen horror behind the visible world, and that you might peel back the scenery to reveal it.

Not to everyone's taste though.

6 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Plenty of different locations and enemy types, yeah. Although the art style stays the same of course.

Personally I think it's a great style for horror, because it gives everything this uncanny feel. The detail makes it look kind of real, but the layers and animation style turn it into a kind of puppet show, which causes dissonance.

It's no coincidence that Detention did something similar and both games come from Taiwan, drawing on (I read somewhere) traditions of Chinese paper cut-out art and shadow puppetry. It gels with the sense that there's some unseen horror behind the visible world, and that you might peel back the scenery to reveal it.

Not to everyone's taste though.

Ok, you've sold it to me.

4 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I don't know if you're on PC or Switch, but I'll repeat the warning that the Switch version is performing poorly. I don't think there's been a post-launch patch yet.

Ah, well, I've gone and bought the switch version. Maybe I'll wait for a patch before starting it then.

I've started this and am enjoying it so far. I like the art style much more 'in person' than on the YouTube video. It's weird, on the video everything had a sheen to it, as if each object and the background had been shrink wrapped in polythene. But in the actual game, that's not there. Which is a relief, because it was that sheen that I was put off by.

As for performance issues on the switch, I haven't noticed anything so far other than an excessively long load time when starting the game. Although I'm not very far in, so may come across other issues later.

Absolutely loved this on the PC. Finished in roughly 20 hours and saw almost everything I think. Gets fairly easy with certain weapons but always feels great to play. Plot is utter bobbins, and the points of no return could be better sign posted causing me to fuck up a few quests but otherwise I think I preferred this to Salt and Sanctuary and possibly even Bloodstained. 

For a first go it's fucking amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Word of warning for anyone playing this on the switch: I got inside the mines last night and did a significant portion of them, saving at the first owl. N.B. I did not select save on the menu, I simply activated the owl, relying on autosave, which I had been doing with no problem up to this point. When I came back to it today and loaded from the autosave, it was outside the mine and I'd lost all my progress. :(

Only took like 20 mins to catch up to where I was, so not a big deal, but annoying.

So far on the switch version, it occasionally stutters and hitches, the loading times are abysmal and it has crashed multiple times. And now it turns out there's at least one owl statue that doesn't autosave. Really, really needs a patch.

I am enjoying it though, other than the technical issues.

I don't think they've patched it since launch, which is really shitty considering the issues.

It seemed to me like there was a quirk with the save system where it only 'hard saved' once you exited an area. So if you close the game (or it crashes) you go back to the last save from the previous area you were in.

I want to do an NG+ play through, but not before they've improved some of these bigger problems.

• 3 weeks later...

This has been patched on the Switch now:

• Fixed save data crashing issue
• Fixed save data loss issue
• Memory usage optimized
• Improved map, loading time, and armor loading time
• Fixed NPC talking bug in Simplified Chinese
• Fixed arcane items not working bug
• Fixed many minor bugs on FX, Mission, Collision, and Route
• Game balance and experience polish