IGNORED

Grand Theft Auto VI - Leaking all over the place

Broker

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

One of the few buildings in Red Dead 2 where you couldn't enter, mind.

Nah, you couldn’t enter the majority of buildings. Just one of the many things that put me off the game.

On 01/11/2021 at 15:36, Broker said:

I fully believe that the GTA Americas leak about Vice City and Cubs is true because I’ve been told that by people I know work there, but I can’t prove it. 

Surprised you didn't notice that Schreier basically confirmed that the original leak from 2018 was actually true:

Sticking to that pledge has already prompted changes to the game. Original plans for the title, which is code-named Project Americas, were for it to be more vast than any Grand Theft Auto game to date. Early designs called for the inclusion of territories modeled after large swaths of North and South America, according to people familiar with the plans. But the company reeled in those ambitions and cut the main map down to a fictional version of Miami and its surrounding areas.

Rockstar’s plan is now to continually update the game over time, adding new missions and cities on a regular basis, which the leadership hopes will lead to less crunch during the game’s final months. Still, the game’s world remains large, with more interior locations than previous Grand Theft Auto games, impacting the timeline.

So early on in production, Rockstar North were planning to not only raise the fucking bar, they were going to blow the bar right through the roof!

But the change in company culture has meant they are going to have to scale it back to get something out of the door and turn it into a very slow rollout Service Game now.

But at least it seems they will finally leave the US in the next 20 years, just not the American continents

58 minutes ago, mushashi said:

So early on in production, Rockstar North were planning to not only raise the fucking bar, they were going to blow the bar right through the roof!

Are they though? Or will there just be an influx of missions where you're shooting off the back of a speedboat?

Can't say I'm excited to be honest. I've played them all heavily but I feel like they might be scaling back the satire and piss-taking of reality/western culture, and getting too cautious on the "offensive" stuff for GTA6.

And after the amount of cash they hauled in from GTA Online, I can't see this being "just" a game anymore. It will be be bogged down with microtransactions and crap and loads of content locked behind the online mode (V was bad enough with loads of cars unavailable in the offline mode).

Finally, the way they fucked up the remastered trilogy and their general attitude/reaction to it all have knocked my confidence in Rockstar right down to naught.

Interesting to see them go with the female character though. I remember a hoax screenshot for GTAIV showing a latina female playable character and getting properly analysed by PLAY magazine back in the day. Crazy to think that, all these years later, it's becoming reality.

1 hour ago, Corrogate said:

Are they though? Or will there just be an influx of missions where you're shooting off the back of a speedboat?

Well the description of what Project Americas was originally concepted as was certainly beyond anything they've ever done before.

Both North and South America in a single game, with multiple fully realised cities, no wonder they had to scale it back to just Miami and then piecemeal hopefully create the other planned cities at some point in the future.

The main playable character being of South American origin fits in with that as there is now a story reason for them to be farting about in both continents moving drugs for the cartels.

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

Well the description of what Project Americas was originally concepted as was certainly beyond anything they've ever done before.

Both North and South America in a single game, with multiple fully realised cities, no wonder they had to scale it back to just Miami and then piecemeal hopefully create the other planned cities at some point in the future.

The main playable character being of South American origin fits in with that as there is now a story reason for them to be farting about in both continents moving drugs for the cartels.

Sure I'm not the first person to postulate Catalina?

Anyway, not sure on the complete details of it but I won't get stoked 'til we see some footage.

Well the article does have some interesting cautionary notes buried in it, with several seeming to stem from their work reforms. Losing a bunch of designers from Rockstar North frustrated with the lack of development progress and some of the other comments talking about too many cooks does kind of paint a picture of development hell and minimal chance of hitting their postulated release window, but they couldn't even manage to do that when crunching to death.

It feels like the idea of multiple cities down the line might also signal that this is the point where multiplayer really becomes the focus. Unless each new city is going to come with a single player campaign and be DLC I can’t see how there would be any way that the new cities would be incorporated into the single player other than as new places to go. Whereas if they’re paid expansions to the online each one will come with a few new features like the current online expansions do. 

It does work as some Fortnite or Warzone sort of change of scene every few years, the only problem is you're now doing it on Rockstar Time and quality standards with the need to not work your employees to death (which in itself is a positive, but it does as described in the article come with its own problems) so they turn GTA VI into a multi-decade ever growing virtual gameworld. Rockstar aren't working on anything else ever again would also be a natural conclusion to their new regime and the ambitions of Project Americas.

It can still have a single player campaign for each new city, but that will just add even more time to each new city's completion.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, SteveH said:

Apparently the same guy that hacked Uber. I hope he has a great hiding place! 

who knew someone from Uber had got so much illicit gta vi footage in their Google workspace

It's definitely real. Looking through the full videos there's a bunch of R* development software visible, and it matches up with what the RDR2 devs showed at GDC, which seems borderline impossible to fake. 

What's interesting is that there's graphics card's listed in the debug tools, so you can see that these are clearly from over several years of development.

So here's Lucia from a build running on a 1080

1080.thumb.jpg.f1ca1215693827a385fb9751078b3632.jpg

Then a shot of her running on the 2080S build

2080.thumb.jpg.b9e942e76e97b8d42b5d013c9d2b0171.jpg

Then a more recent 3080 build with obvious visual improvement

3080.thumb.jpg.e2e053172a3e26eb0eae5f230c483d1e.jpg

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Oh man those dev tools are fucking fascinating 

23 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

This all looks legit. If not, it's the most elaborate, realistic faked debug footage I've ever seen.

Yeah I can't confirm if this is GTA6, but as a designer involved with character/controls/camera, the debug info and test gyms are legit.

Also the stuff about it looking not particularly great, this is also legit. Post processing, optimisation etc tend to come towards the end of production when the game is solid. During dev, all you really need is stable framerate and the fundamentals to work.

The videos that are circulating are all the best looking ones, but a load of the ones in the original file are very clearly bug reports. The majority of them are collision errors or just videos of people testing collitions with walls and doors. The guy who leaked them said they came from an internal developer slack channel.

16 minutes ago, Isaac said:

It is real, for sure. 

Seems to be a dodgy link in Slack. 

I think Slack is in for some really bad press over this, it seems far less secure than people think.

If it’s from slack, and not insider or a failure of rockstar security, then it’s the end of their business. It won’t simply be “bad press”.

Not sure why people are saying this doesn't look good. From a few videos I watched which were set outside, it looks quite nice.

I also quite like the Bonnie & Clyde thing they seem to be going for, but who knows if that's how the dynamic works.

• Broker changed the title to Grand Theft Auto VI - Leaking all over the place