IGNORED

Grand Theft Auto VI - Leaking all over the place

Broker

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

I was one of a small group that kind of felt like I “got” RDR2’s controls. It was supposed to feel slow and considered and all the Shenmue style opening drawers and picking stuff up and hitching your horse and cleaning your rifle really added to the mood of that very particular game. I felt like a big heavy lad doing big heavy lad things and it really worked for me. 

It sounds really good when you describe it like that! Though there's no justification for the godawful menus in that game. I feel like I might really love a version of RDR2 where you just had to live in the world, without all the rubbish missions where you shoot 50 people and all that tactile realism gets chucked out of the window.

11 minutes ago, Broker said:

It sounds really good when you describe it like that! Though there's no justification for the godawful menus in that game. I feel like I might really love a version of RDR2 where you just had to live in the world, without all the rubbish missions where you shoot 50 people and all that tactile realism gets chucked out of the window.

yeah man, how many o’driscolls could there possibly be. 

3 hours ago, robotattack said:

GtA gOeS wOkE

This is so going to happen. It will be like a bizarre reverse outcry to the hot coffee shenanigans. 

I'm almost inclined to believe they might even have released that kind of info intentionally to get the rage clicks going and it turns out to be utter balls anyway but I'm not sure...

It seems almost too on the nose, even for the game that brought you (and unfortunately removed) gouranga!

• Broker changed the title to Grand Theft Auto VI - Schreier Confirmed

God I really hope they focus on making the game mechanics more freeform and making it possible to approach missions exactly how you want to. I don't think I was more disappointed in a game than when I discovered the heists were predetermined missions.

Let me try and hilariously fail my super complicated attempts at heists already.

For me the best sandbox experiences give you both the tools and the freedom to make you feel like you can improvise your own playstyle and solutions. Nothing is as satisfying as trying something silly and it actually working. I know people love those games, but in the last few GTA games I never had those "I love it when a plan comes together" moments during missions, instead it was more often like "I managed to hit the scripted prompts in time, glad I don't have to do this mission again"

A new policy called “flexitime” allows staff to immediately take time off for every extra hour they work.

I love the speech marks in this. What a revolutionary concept for Schreier!

That’s just the standard response when Americans discover standard European employment rights - shock and disbelief. Wait until Schreier finds out that when people in Scotland are ill, they not only don’t have to go to work but they still get paid.

18 hours ago, BitterToad said:

It absolutely won’t. I think it’ll be closer to GTAV with hopefully some modern tweaks to make the combat feel better. I was one of a small group that kind of felt like I “got” RDR2’s controls. It was supposed to feel slow and considered and all the Shenmue style opening drawers and picking stuff up and hitching your horse and cleaning your rifle really added to the mood of that very particular game. I felt like a big heavy lad doing big heavy lad things and it really worked for me. 

But it’s not right for GTA at all so I can’t see them going anywhere near it for VI. 

Well, as it's a female lead you'll be fast and nimble in this but you'll deal less damage and have a smaller health bar.

15 minutes ago, K said:

That’s just the standard response when Americans discover standard European employment rights - shock and disbelief. Wait until Schreier finds out that when people in Scotland are ill, they not only don’t have to go to work but they still get paid.

Yeah, paid fuck all. 

Seeing a lot of stuff online about how Rockstar won't be able to deliver a compelling story using a female lead because it'll be all goof goof fart fart and I understand why people would think that if they've only played the GTA games. But after RDR2 I really think they have the writing chops to deliver something special if they want to go that way.

8 hours ago, SMD said:

God I really hope they focus on making the game mechanics more freeform and making it possible to approach missions exactly how you want to. I don't think I was more disappointed in a game than when I discovered the heists were predetermined missions.

Let me try and hilariously fail my super complicated attempts at heists already.

That would be a huge change from how they've made all their games for so long now that I can't see it. 

You're right though, it needs that 

4 minutes ago, deerokus said:

That would be a huge change from how they've made all their games for so long now that I can't see it. 

You're right though, it needs that 

I'll cut them slack for everything up until San Andreas, GTA 4 was their first HD game and I thought GTA V was going to build on that in a meaningful way. That was almost a decade ago now and if the focus is going to be GTA Online then they'd be killing two birds with one stone by going balls out with the mechanics of the game.

It was really noticeable in RDR2. I adore that game but fuck me the on rails missions felt like I was playing a game from the early 00's at times. 

4 minutes ago, Zael said:

It was really noticeable in RDR2. I adore that game but fuck me the on rails missions felt like I was playing a game from the early 00's at times. 

Especially with how it handled anything going off script. I've told this story before but I was doing one of those mini missions you encounter out in the world, guy stuck by the side of the road needing helped back into town. I got off my horse and walked him and my horse along the road, but there was a boulder that the horse neatly sidestepped. Cool procedural animation - but this meant the horse slightly brushed the guy. Who took off screaming as a result, mission failed.

The location is mildly disappointing if not logically consistent. They are stuck basically reproducing the 3 original 3D Trilogy games till the end of time apparently, can't wait to revisit New York again in a decades time.

Rockstar production levels lavished on a different creative reproduction of somewhere outside the US would be great, but seems destined to never happen.

Assuming this will be a current gen only release so they should be able to make proper use of the new technology which is perfect for the type of game they make.

when was the last time rockstar released a new game on schedule? i'd be surprised if we saw this before 2025, especially if rockstar have genuinely changed their work culture and stopped crunch.

On 27/07/2022 at 16:25, Isaac said:

with more interior locations than any other GTA game

Meh! I want every building to have interiors.  Bored of cities in games that are mostly facades.  With the amount of production power they have + some proc gen magic and they'd be there.  Bags of gameplay potential to be had and it sounds like they're wimping out. 

They could make interiors but what would they be filled with? If you don't have truly freeform gameplay where any building could be a hideout or a place to commit a crime from then you're just wasting resources.

1 minute ago, monkeydog said:

Meh! I want every building to have interiors.  Bored of cities in games that are mostly facades.  With the amount of production power they have + some proc gen magic and they'd be there.  Bags of gameplay potential to be had and it sounds like they're wimping out. 

I always remember getting to Saint Denis in Red Dead 2 and seeing the factory with all the smoke bellowing out of the chimney and was massively disappointed that you couldn’t get inside. Such a wasted opportunity.

One of the few buildings in Red Dead 2 where you couldn't enter, mind. I appreciated that game's attention to detail in making everywhere unique and hand-crafted.

I don't need to enter every building in GTA, it's just not that sort of open world to me. It's about large spaces and high speeds, not an immersive simulation. Giving every building an interior would be lost on me, I'm as likely to enter the vast majority as I am the houses on my street I don't live in, and it would add little to the experience.

Whereas the density of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was a treat.

7 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I don't need to enter every building in GTA, it's just not that sort of open world to me. It's about large spaces and high speeds, not an immersive simulation. Giving every building an interior would be lost on me, I'm as likely to enter the vast majority as I am the houses on my street I don't live in, and it would add little to the experience

For me it's about traversable spaces. It's not about exploring every bit of every interior. I think being in and out of vehicles and buildings, chasing or being chased through a 'complete' environment could be be really fun.

• Broker changed the title to Grand Theft Auto VI - Leaking all over the place