IGNORED

Grand Theft Auto VI - Leaking all over the place

Broker

It'll be at least 10 years since the previous GTA by the time this surfaces. I realise they've remastered and rereleased that in the meantime but, even so, I don't think they're going to worry too much about the location being all played out when releases are that infrequent - it's hardly the level of overfamiliarity that CoD's annual renewal has to contend with.

5 hours ago, Simmy said:

What amazes me is that in this day and age that there is no leaks whatsoever of a game of this size.

And by leaks I don't mean screenshots, videos etc - I mean more like - drunk programmer in the pub talking about things he shouldn't be etc.

How do they manage to contain information like that? I understand there is NDAs and stuff like that but there's NDAs everywhere in the world and things still leak. Always find it kind of fascinating.

There’s lots of rumours and leaks from these kind of sources but the issue is that there’s also a lot of people who want to make stuff up for attention. Places like resetera or Reddit don’t generally allow leaks that aren’t verified, so although you’re not expected to say publicly where you got the info from you are expected to share this with a mod via private message and provide some proof. In that scenario you either need to be the person from Rockstar and prove to some random person online that you work there or don your friend in.

The alternative is posting your leaks on 4chan or somewhere else that doesn’t require verification, but here you’re swimming against a tide of liars and fakes. As I’ve mentioned before, I know three people who have worked or work at UK Rockstar studios. But when I’ve tried to share what they’ve told me I’m either called a liar or asked to verify. I fully believe that the GTA Americas leak about Vice City and Cubs is true because I’ve been told that by people I know work there, but I can’t prove it. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

If they hold out on GTA6 too long and/or they focus on the Online portion too much, surely that creates room for something like the Saints Row reboot to swoop in and attract fans of the single player campaign parts of the GTA experience? Both Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs showed you can have a sandbox game in that vein with good controls and combat. The melee combat in Sleeping Dogs was particularly excellent. Both games imho put all the R* GTAs to shame in that regard. Now more than ever would be a perfect time to release a Sleeping Dogs 2, but alas Squeenix are the absolute kings of wasting potential.

I don’t think any other brand will ever be able to compete with the recognition GTA has.

2 hours ago, SteveH said:

I have one friend who used to get regular updates from a good mate of his who worked there. He would share it with me, but it was on the understanding that we were lucky to hear stuff and that we could possibly get this guy in the shit so we just kept quiet. Not that that counts for everyone, but we knew to just keep schtum. 

This is spot on. I also wonder if employees might be told to release certain info just to mislead the public and leakers?

51 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

I could see them going for Vice City's location again but expanding out to have a Cuba equivalent island you can visit. A few swamps and a massive Disneyland type theme park, perhaps.

This is exactly what’s been rumoured but if the development hell reports are true I wonder if they’re going in another direction now.

1 hour ago, Broker said:

This is exactly what’s been rumoured but if the development hell reports are true I wonder if they’re going in another direction now.

I probably read about the rumoured location on here, to be honest. I can't see them changing the location. I'd put it more down to trying to improve the way missions and story are structured that everyone complains about. At least, I hope so.

I heard from my uncles best friend's auntie who works as a cleaner at the company that supplies paperclips to Rockstar that the next one will be set in Russia exploring Nikos back story, and the power of the next consoles mean there will be hundreds of cousins to go bowling with. 

10 hours ago, footle said:

vancouver - you’ve got the ocean, the rivers, the mountains over the way, a mixture of building heights in and around a downtown core, a gridded downtown, various stadia.

Vancouver. The Mos Eisley of Canada.

2 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Hey, I don't mind it that much. Never met a GTA mission I've given up in frustration. Just thinking about all the ten year olds who'll have a hard time unlocking the second island.

I got stuck on the Staunton Island construction level where you go up the crane to confront Catalina, and stuck on the finale mansion showdown in Vice City. In both cases because the controls were absolute dog water. You can’t fucking aim and strafe, which is unacceptable in an enclosed environment where you can’t see who is shooting you half the time due to dodgy camera positioning. 

6 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I got stuck on the Staunton Island construction level where you go up the crane to confront Catalina, and stuck on the finale mansion showdown in Vice City. In both cases because the controls were absolute dog water. You can’t fucking aim and strafe, which is unacceptable in an enclosed environment where you can’t see who is shooting you half the time due to dodgy camera positioning. 

Yeah, it's hard to go back to. Back then, though, I didn't curse the controls, but I guess I didn't realise how better it could have been.

13 hours ago, Fletch said:

I heard from my uncles best friend's auntie what works as a cleaner at the company what supplies paperclips to Rockstar that the next one will be set in Russia exploring Nikos back story, and the power of the next consoles mean there will be hundreds of cousins what work at Nintendo to go bowling with. 

Fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

First (probably concrete) details about this have been reported by Jason Schreier today, in a wider piece about how Rockstar's culture has cleaned up:

In summary:

- Focus on playable latina female protagonist

- Plot hinges on the playable protagonist and her partner in crime, bonnie-and-clyde vibe

- It'll take place in a fictional Miami

- New cities will be added over time

- Game world remains large with more interior locations than any other GTA game

A GTA game that treated its story and characters with the same level of care as RDR2 would be an amazing thing. That article actually sounds quite promising, in that it feels like they're dialling down the need to exaggerate everything and caricature everyone, and are trying to make their characters a bit more three dimensional.

9 minutes ago, K said:

A GTA game that treated its story and characters with the same level of care as RDR2 would be an amazing thing. That article actually sounds quite promising, in that it feels like they're dialling down the need to exaggerate everything and caricature everyone, and are trying to make their characters a bit more three dimensional.

I do wonder if the housers leaving will end up being beneficial, as it might allow someone else to step into a lead writer role and actually let the series evolve a bit. 

21 minutes ago, Broker said:

I do wonder if the housers leaving will end up being beneficial, as it might allow someone else to step into a lead writer role and actually let the series evolve a bit. 

Well, personally, I don't really think they ever bought "that" much to the table. GTA 3 was all but finished before they was even vaguely involved. They have a lot of smart tech people at Rockstar, and with each release, probably gain even more talent. They seem like the "face" of GTA more than anything.

25 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Well, personally, I don't really think they ever bought "that" much to the table. GTA 3 was all but finished before they was even vaguely involved. They have a lot of smart tech people at Rockstar, and with each release, probably gain even more talent. They seem like the "face" of GTA more than anything.

I thought they wrote the stories?

23 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

I mean more in terms of the story. Vice City, the first one they took a major role on, was also the start of a trend of more cutscenes and more scripted sections. The whole trajectory of the series through the four games they lead was to reduce emergent fun and force players to watch more and more of their poorly written rip offs of their current favourite TV shows and movies. I’d love a return to 3’s minimalist story. 

1 hour ago, K said:

As long as it doesn't control like RDR2 :lol:

53 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

As long as it doesn't control like RDR2 :lol:

It absolutely won’t. I think it’ll be closer to GTAV with hopefully some modern tweaks to make the combat feel better. I was one of a small group that kind of felt like I “got” RDR2’s controls. It was supposed to feel slow and considered and all the Shenmue style opening drawers and picking stuff up and hitching your horse and cleaning your rifle really added to the mood of that very particular game. I felt like a big heavy lad doing big heavy lad things and it really worked for me. 

But it’s not right for GTA at all so I can’t see them going anywhere near it for VI. 

• Broker changed the title to Grand Theft Auto VI - Leaking all over the place