Analogue Duo - Complete with CD-ROM!

Yeah, it's entirely possible the idiots you're talking to at FedEx do not themselves know.

The fact Analogue have ALSO fucked up really doesn't surprise me.  If they ever hired someone who can run a company they could be huge but they're a classic engineer run enterprise.

Got to say, I'm feeling pretty lucky that my Mega SG and Adapter Set, which came to $240 + $50 shipping, 'only' ended up costing me around £38 in customs + £12 FedEx fee,* given that only shipped, direct from Analogue, at the end of October.

Either the rules on duty have changed dramatically within the month, or something has gone very wrong.

* I know I could have argued the latter, but I just couldn't be bothered.

58 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Either the rules on duty have changed dramatically within the month, or something has gone very wrong.

Sigh. It's the tariff: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/11/watch_out_europe_-_importing_consoles_from_the_u_s_just_got_a_lot_more_expensive

I guess it won't apply to us once the Pocket and the Duo are out, unless the government decides to stick with it. Would've appreciated some public clarity from Analogue though.

17 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Sigh. It's the tariff: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/11/watch_out_europe_-_importing_consoles_from_the_u_s_just_got_a_lot_more_expensive

I guess it won't apply to us once the Pocket and the Duo are out, unless the government decides to stick with it. Would've appreciated some public clarity from Analogue though.

But by the time those are out, Analogue will be obliged to do all the calculations themselves right?  Isn't that why a bunch of stores are stopping shipping to the UK entirely?

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

But by the time those are out, Analogue will be obliged to do all the calculations themselves right?  Isn't that why a bunch of stores are stopping shipping to the UK entirely?

That's for regular VAT- I'm speculating whether the UK will continue with the trade tariff. I don't expect them to.

Found out that a friend ordered two of these and is possibly looking at the cost of a next gen console in fees. :(

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Wiper said:

So, in summary, for UK customers Analogue ended up picking the precise two-month window for NT Mini Noir delivery to completely shaft everyone. Unfortunate.

Actually, just some of us. My friend paid £162 in fees for two consoles, while a couple of us paid £201 each for one. Trying to work that one out as it was shipped during the same window. I expect HMRC will elect to keep my money but I'm going to write to them anyway.

1 hour ago, DAB said:

This is the same tariff, right?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55242859

That's a BBC article (today) on the UK dropping the tariff from January 1st, so it doesn't look like the Pocket will be affected at least.

The best part about this is that just a couple of weeks ago a report quoting an "unauthorised official" said that the UK would continue with the tariff:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-trade-eu-britain/uk-gearing-up-to-maintain-tariffs-on-u-s-goods-in-aircraft-subsidy-case-uk-official-idUKKBN2802PY

Another policy informed by leaking to the press and seeing what happens, basically.

Had a bit of time to unpack before bed so snapped a few pics as I went. First impressions were really good, its proper Apple quality with the fancy packaging, the box is tough card that has a sort of velvet feel. Piece of black printed card covered the two sections up but opening the unit and it reeks of quality. The console itself is really heavy, the metal makes it feel like a real brick. Not as worrying as it sound but it feels like it will easily resist any tough knocks or bangs and last for years. The cartridge slot is the most satisfying I've ever used with a NES cart, they slide in with a strong click and so much better than the RetroUSB AVS.

There's been some complaints about it being a bit loose, I didn't have any issues loading a few carts or rocking the desk I sat it on. Everything just worked as it should but I stuck a pen lid in there to give you an idea of the gap it has. They claim it's made to fit all types of 3rd party carts but I've never had any clone that's ever suffered from fitting issues before.

Cost me a lot of money at £850 but it all works as it should, will be hacking it later to play some FDS ROMs but if I wanted to it has all the necessary ports down the back. It's the usual Analogue menu with loads of fancy options but that's something for the weekend. Might sound expensive but they have been bouncing around at £750-£1200 for months and they have said there's no plans for more. I've tried so many different clones and been disappointed with all of them but this one is different.. it feels special and will go hand in hand with my ever growing NES set.

Oh and the pad is good to play, just like a regular controller but wireless with some fancy turbo buttons. I've got a Hyperkin pad with rounded corners on the top edge so I don't think I'll be using this much.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg6.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

How long do FedEx take to send you any invoice?

I got my Mini over 7 days ago and as yet I've heard nothing about any import charges... I'm starting to hope that somehow they've missed me (has to happen to someone, right?) but deep down inside I expect to get a phone call on Xmas morning where someone just laughs and says "£200 tax LOL".

32 minutes ago, Alshie said:

How long do FedEx take to send you any invoice?

I got my Mini over 7 days ago and as yet I've heard nothing about any import charges... I'm starting to hope that somehow they've missed me (has to happen to someone, right?) but deep down inside I expect to get a phone call on Xmas morning where someone just laughs and says "£200 tax LOL".

Think it can be around 30 days. Keep in mind that lots of mail is delayed or going messing and they will be closed for Xmas.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

What does that give you in terms of non-NES cores?

Atari 2600/7800
GB/GBC
Colecovision
Channel F
Full NES/Fami and FDS cores
Game King
Genesis
SMS
Intellivision
Odyssey 2
Supervision 
Videobrain 

And a few other ancient cores from the 70's/80's. Think they are mainly TV gaming units but a very impressive lot.

If we're talking about all the Analogues in here I think I've found 2 incompatibilities with a Mega SG. And they're predictably related.

Master System : Codemasters carts don't work.  I have both Cosmic Spacehead and Micro Machines. Neither seem to boot on the SG.  Both worked when pulled straight out and put in an SMS1, then didn't again straight back in the SG.

Mega Drive : Psycho Pinball / Micro Machines combo cart boots straight to Psycho Pinball every time. I need to try on a real Mega Drive but I think you switch with a soft reset and it appears that's a concept the Mega SG doesn't quite do and no-one seems to have bothered to dump the cart for me to check on an emulator.

Anyone got either of those things to test? I suspect results from Fantastic Dizzy on MS or the other "Double Hits" releases would be interesting.

9 hours ago, Dudley said:

If we're talking about all the Analogues in here I think I've found 2 incompatibilities with a Mega SG. And they're predictably related.

Master System : Codemasters carts don't work.  I have both Cosmic Spacehead and Micro Machines. Neither seem to boot on the SG.  Both worked when pulled straight out and put in an SMS1, then didn't again straight back in the SG.

Mega Drive : Psycho Pinball / Micro Machines combo cart boots straight to Psycho Pinball every time. I need to try on a real Mega Drive but I think you switch with a soft reset and it appears that's a concept the Mega SG doesn't quite do and no-one seems to have bothered to dump the cart for me to check on an emulator.

Anyone got either of those things to test? I suspect results from Fantastic Dizzy on MS or the other "Double Hits" releases would be interesting.

How clean are the contacts? I've had a few games recently that wouldn't work but I opened them up and used a white eraser (got to be white) to rub away at all of them until they gleamed, then doused all that in isopropryl. Fair few games that wouldn't work at all were magically fixed despite piles of iso before and some others that refused to work in the NT/SG were suddenly fine.

31 minutes ago, Dudley said:

They worked in an SMS1 so I really doubt it's that, especially as it's only those 2 related games out of possible 50 I've tried so far.

I've had games that worked in my SG adaptor but no the GG. Those contacts and slots on both sides can be very finicky, plus it's easier to give them a proper clean than having to replace entirely. 

I'll give it a try but it's a hell of a coincidence the 3 games that I have trouble with are all Codemasters ones who were known to do bullshittery with their games. I just think the Americans couldn't test them, I understand if you jailbreak they do work as roms if you change the file format a bit so at some point if I get an Everdrive that's technically a solution.

I'm guessing no-one has a double hits MD cart and an SG?

It makes sense though, both these problems are clearly bugs in the "BIOS" implementation, the bit they had to do in software, not the FPGA.

Are you running the SMS Core in Euro PAL mode? Those games made use of the extended vertical resolution PAL offered.

I had a mare of a time getting my Mark III paddle controller to work. In the end I had to upgrade my power supply (I was running off the TVs USB ports), set the SMS core to JP, and disable controller pass-through. Works fine if you do all that!

17 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I'll give it a try but it's a hell of a coincidence the 3 games that I have trouble with are all Codemasters ones who were known to do bullshittery with their games. I just think the Americans couldn't test them, I understand if you jailbreak they do work as roms if you change the file format a bit so at some point if I get an Everdrive that's technically a solution.

I'm guessing no-one has a double hits MD cart and an SG?

It makes sense though, both these problems are clearly bugs in the "BIOS" implementation, the bit they had to do in software, not the FPGA.

Have you considered raising this in the Classic Gaming Discord? Kevtris regularly posts there and there are a few PAL players that might be able to check their collections.

1 minute ago, Alexlotl said:

Are you running the SMS Core in Euro PAL mode? Those games made use of the extended vertical resolution PAL offered.

I'll have another fiddle but I generally run the SMS in PAL because some games are stupid in 60hz, the New Zealand Story being a prime example.

1 minute ago, DeciderVT said:

Have you considered raising this in the Classic Gaming Discord? Kevtris regularly posts there and there are a few PAL players that might be able to check their collections.

I emailed Analogue support who said they'd "Pass it on to their developers" which I doubt I believe but...

Do you have a link for that discord? That sounds great, no-one in the small reddit group had the right things.