Analogue Duo - Complete with CD-ROM!

Can't understand why they would want to limit these.  I know they said there were issues with the production due to Covid, but when that's blown over they could sell them by the bucketload.

Having never bought anything by these guys, I'm confused by this thread which flits between bemoaning how scarce their products are and telling us how easy they are to get.

Which is it guys?

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck...

15 minutes ago, Camel said:

Having never bought anything by these guys, I'm confused by this thread which flits between bemoaning how scarce their products are and telling us how easy they are to get.

Which is it guys?

Some of their older products, like the Super NT and the Mega SG, were not at all difficult to get (I have both and had no trouble ordering either). And they are absolutely amazing products - faithful recreations of old consoles outputting to HDMI with loads of different options for getting the best possible output on your HDTV. They're beautifully well designed and built also.

The Analogue Pocket launch was a bit of a mess though - it was ludicrously difficult getting a pre-order and there don't seem to be any more on the way any time soon. It looks a little like it might be the same story with the Duo now too. Apparently a lot of this is down to difficulties with production thanks to COVID, but naturally many are questioning whether they're doing some kind of forced scarcity to make their niche, boutique products seem even more exclusive.

I've got to say I'd be well up for getting the Duo if I can. I've put myself on the mailing list for it at any rate.

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Which is it guys?

This depends on how much you're willing and able to be on Analogue's website at a specific time & date! Prior to the Analogue Pocket preorders were fairly straight-forward. Preorders for the Super NT & Mega SG had been open for about a week or so until the initial allocation had sold out, and prior to that it took a couple of months for the original run of the NT Mini to sell through.

The Pocket was different though. Website (payment page) crashes during the preorder process, items disappearing from peoples' baskets. I think the biggest issue were people using bots to secure multiple units to scalp on Ebay. (People had got wind that the original production run of the NT Mini was selling for as much as £2000 on Ebay and saw the earning potential, Analogue weren't so well known at the launches of the SG & Super NT which is why there weren't issues with those at launch ). Pocket preorders sold out in 7 minutes. I get the feeling that the same is going to happen again with the Duo. Having said that, after the initial first batch of the Super NT & SG sold out they did get 2nd production batch in relatively quickly. However, subsequent production runs when products have gone out of stock have been lacking, as has any news on reopening preorders for the Pocket.

If you want one you have to on Analogue's website as soon as preorders go live & hope everything works.

I've had no problems at all but I use a password manager to store my address and payment details so it's almost a one-click process. A lot of people miss out because something sells out while they're entering their card number. Even managed to snag one of the Noir cancellations this way.

Looks great, and interesting to see a CD drive for the first time on an analogue product, hopefully a Mega CD, playstation and Saturn system are also possible in the future. I just hope that there will be enough stock or they do an open preorder to avoid a repeat of the pocket shitshow. 

13 hours ago, auntyclimax said:

The Pocket fiasco was due to Shopify, not Analogue.

Shopify forced them to only make 12 and then announce a new product rather than perhaps consider fulfilling the latent demand for the previous one?

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Not this time! It's a keeper :lol:

Though I will be flogging a PCE Mini around the same time :ph34r:

I gave in and bought one last month after a long period of doubt. Typical!

Lovely piece of kit! I’ve lusted after the Mega SG for a while but I have no real “need” for it as I’m happy with my Megadrive on a CRT. 

If they ever do a NeoGeo CD console I’ll bite though...

7 hours ago, StoooTube said:

Lovely piece of kit! I’ve lusted after the Mega SG for a while but I have no real “need” for it as I’m happy with my Megadrive on a CRT. 

If they ever do a NeoGeo CD console I’ll bite though...

matter if time

Sega cd add on to Mega Sg first, then Neo geo!

27 minutes ago, ulala said:

matter if time

Sega cd add on to Mega Sg first, then Neo geo!

I don't think Neo Geo is realistic - not as a strictly Kevtris-authored core at least. He is but one man.

MiSTer's Neo Geo core took years of obsessive toil and sweat and physically decapping custom chips before the idea of amalgamating it all into a playable FPGA core even arose. 

1 hour ago, spanky debrest said:

I don't think Neo Geo is realistic - not as a strictly Kevtris-authored core at least. He is but one man.

MiSTer's Neo Geo core took years of obsessive toil and sweat and physically decapping custom chips before the idea of amalgamating it all into a playable FPGA core even arose. 

They could probably hire someone else to do it.. if they actually sold more products :lol:

45 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

Kinda reminds me of this tweet and the ensuing conversation. Nobody knows anything really.

I'd seen this conversation. I have to admit that I'm a little curious as to what Voultar thinks he has on Analogue. He says he's going to have a "feature video" at some point. Could be very interesting, or could be nothing! Worth keeping an eye on his YT channel.

I wondered about that too. I mean, 'peeling a few layers away' is pretty vague and suggests (to me) something more general about the company rather than a specific engineering issue.

In related news Kevtris announced he isn't writing the Duo core (but he is still very much involved with Analogue).

9 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

In related news Kevtris announced he isn't writing the Duo core (but he is still very much involved with Analogue).

According to Game Sack Joe, this is because years ago, pre-FPGA dev, Kevtris got involved in some forum drama on the main PC Engine forum, then left saying "fuck them and the console they rode in on", and won't touch the platform anymore.

I think I might play wait and see without Kevtris onboard. Also, I expect we'll see accusation of stealing from MiSTer start flying - there was already some (AFAIK baseless) chuntering about it, but given as it was freely acknowleded that Kevtris was an FPGA genius, it generally died with a whimper.

I hope this means we'll get more updates to the Mega SG and Super NT, if Kevtris is going to have time on his hands. Part of me still hopes that once the Noir is done and dusted, they'll just release a cart converter for the Super NT to let it play NES games, aligning the Super NT and Mega SG in covering both 8 and 16 bit eras.

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

I hope this means we'll get more updates to the Mega SG and Super NT, if Kevtris is going to have time on his hands. Part of me still hopes that once the Noir is done and dusted, they'll just release a cart converter for the Super NT to let it play NES games, aligning the Super NT and Mega SG in covering both 8 and 16 bit eras.

that would be a terrible business idea.

i assume the thought was there is not a market for a MasterSystem fpga, and there is (clearly) for the nes.

if they made an fpga nes out of plastic and sold at $189 I’d buy it instantly.

44 minutes ago, ulala said:

that would be a terrible business idea.

i assume the thought was there is not a market for a MasterSystem fpga, and there is (clearly) for the nes.

if they made an fpga nes out of plastic and sold at $189 I’d buy it instantly.

Yeah, I know it makes no financial sense, but it makes quite a lot of infrastructure sense. The SFC was designed to be backwards compatible with the Famicom until quite late in its development cycle. The CPU is compatible. The controller ports are actually pin compatible - it's just that they're arbitrarily a different shape, unlike with the SMS/MD, which kept the same shape. Knock up a conversion cable and you can use an SNES controller on a NES no bother. The cart slot has sufficient pins to handle both Famicom and NES carts.

Not that a lot of that would matter with an FPGA infrastructure. But if Kevtris hasn't at least tried to get his NES core running on a Super NT, then I'm a monkey's uncle.

Might as well post the Twitter thread we're all reading for anyone missing it. ;)

Also, from the horse's mouth. I'd always hoped that Kevtris would warm to the idea of PCE after that experience but from what he's been saying on the Classic Gaming Discord, the core sounds like it's in the good hands of his understudies.