Dumbest Gaming Stuff You Done

I loved the Shining Force Games on the Megadrive so when Shining Force CD was announced I spent £279 with Special Reserve and purchased a Sega Mega CD with the game & then realised I needed a save cartridge for another £20.

Spoiler

The game was rubbish :(

During PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast and GameCube days I lived with my parents, no living expenses and occasionally when I could be bothered I wrote articles about reviews for magazines who showed interest. All this and I thought it was a good idea - investment really - to buy Japanese import games and hardware for a metric ton of money.

Tekki (Steel Battalion) with Controller - 250 quid

Bouncer - 110 quid

GameCube with launch games - 1000 quid

Limited Edition Japanese Xbox (the smokey one which still looks neat) - I can't remember the exact number but it was a lot. Like, a lot

JRPGs for whatever console - the bigger the box, the more expensive

I bought this and more thinking the magazines want the scoop. I remember my buddy Richard who worked for a magazine full time telling me "we have that in the office for a while now, in English) when I told him I have the Japanese version of Jet Set Radio on Xbox and if he wanted me to write a preview, thinking I had a great scoop.

:facepalm:

Not my finest years.

Oh Christ, that reminds me of another one. Soon after I got an Xbox 360, I decided I must have a HDTV to go with it, but I was temping and had fuck all money, so I... sold my entire and complete PAL JRPG collection on ebay. Suikodens 1&2, Wild Arms, Legaia, Breath of Fire. The lot.

The TV was shit 720p crap and got upgraded to a Sony Bravia a few years later when I got a better job.

10 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

£150 on a JP import Mario Kart 64 bundled with a two-tone controller.

Yes. One Hundred and Fifty pounds. For the worst Mario Kart game with a 'fancy' controller.

I recall paying £110-120 for mine - will now save that story for the next 'biggest gaming bargains' thread when it turns up.

Around that era I convinced my then fiancé we should go on honeymoon to the US, it just so happened to coincide with the US launch of the N64 and I managed to pre-order and get EB to send me a launch machine with games to the hotel we were staying in - don't recall stock or sell outs being an issue back then.

I don't regret the N64 at all, one of the best machines ever and nothing but warm memories of Mario, Wave Race etc.

The marriage wasn't so great though.

11 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

Pissed myself at 12 years old in a rammed seaside arcade because I was on the last level of Golden Axe. 

Did you complete it?

I have a long embarrassing history of being a bit of a toddler with my toys when they don't do what I want. At about 12-13 I taught my C64 the price of not loading what I wanted on command was to be hurled down the stairs.

Unfortunately I didn't get what I deserved on that occasion and it was still working afterwards!

13 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Oh Christ, that reminds me of another one. Soon after I got an Xbox 360, I decided I must have a HDTV to go with it, but I was temping and had fuck all money, so I... sold my entire and complete PAL JRPG collection on ebay. Suikodens 1&2, Wild Arms, Legaia, Breath of Fire. The lot.

The TV was shit 720p crap and got upgraded to a Sony Bravia a few years later when I got a better job.

I did this as well. 
I bought a 360 on launch with the VGA cable and hooked it up to my 4:3 Iiyama PC CRT monitor and it melted my eyes. RR6, DOA4, COD2, PGR3... all in glorious VGA on a CRT. It looked stunning and was the biggest fidelity jump I’d ever seen in gaming. 

...so I binned that CRT and bought the crappiest 26” LCD (that one that was marketed with the 360) super expensive and it looked like utter ass, unless you made the 360 output exact native res, then it was ok. 

All my old consoles hooked up to it, lag for days and blurovision. 
I had that awful TV till it died in 2014! Buying a decent but cheap replacement was mind blowing. 

Im making up for it now with the PVM and LG OLED I now own :wub:

11 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

£150 on a JP import Mario Kart 64 bundled with a two-tone controller.

Yes. One Hundred and Fifty pounds. For the worst Mario Kart game with a 'fancy' controller.

£150 for Mario Kart 64 is totally worth it! 

4 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

...so I binned that CRT and bought the crappiest 26” LCD (that one that was marketed with the 360) super expensive and it looked like utter ass, unless you made the 360 output exact native res, then it was ok. 

Soon after I got this ass HDTV, I imported FFXII and running that on it was so bad it caused physical pain. Words can't fathom how bad PS2 games looked on this thing.

I was going to say that time I did a  couple of hour endurance race in one of the Gran Turismos, paused to go for a piss with a few laps left and, when I came back, quit instead of continuing. Then I remembered:

I worked on the top floor of the old Ocean / Acclaim building when Acclaim shut the business down. Before they left, one of the managers came up and told us we could go down and take anything that was left. Didn't really bother, grabbed a couple of PC games and that was about it. There were loads of flash carts and a a few console dev stations lying about that I should have grabbed. 

Another one - I lost track of how many Xbox 360's I bought. Back then I had plenty of money, and I've never been one for sending stuff back for repair, so if one went pop! I just binned it and bought another (same day if possible). The one under my telly today is probably the sixth, or maybe even seventh. Still my favourite console(s) ever, though.

My answer to this and similar questions is always (and will hopefully always be) the same:

- Saved up to buy a PlayStation, mainly to play Resident Evil.

- Bought a PlayStation, with Resident Evil.

- Couldn't work out how to go up stairs in Resident Evil.

- Took Resident Evil back to the shop.

Spoiler

I did buy it again later, and have since "worked it out". Resident Evil remains one of my favourite game series.

I bought a Wonderswan and thought I could teach myself Japanese simply by converting the symbols to English sounds and becoming familiar with them over time, not realising that it would only be an approximation as Japanese doesn't use the same sounds as English. 

Buying Unlimited Saga for PS2.

Pre-ordering Driv3r.  

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I did this as well. 
I bought a 360 on launch with the VGA cable and hooked it up to my 4:3 Iiyama PC CRT monitor and it melted my eyes. RR6, DOA4, COD2, PGR3... all in glorious VGA on a CRT. It looked stunning and was the biggest fidelity jump I’d ever seen in gaming. 

All my old consoles hooked up to it, lag for days and blurovision. 

I think we all did this ! I paid £570 for a fucking awful 27 inch Samsung that didn't even have a HDMI port. It had a really strong matte finish on the screen and was just such a dull, crap picture. 360 over VGA was ... OK.....so I got 18 months out of it before throwing my hands up and having to get something better. My Original Xbox, PS2 and even the Dreamcast with it's razor sharp Scart output all looked absolutely awful on it. Worst still i'd took my CRT into work for the staffroom, so I was completely stuck.

I've still got the order email

Tue 5/23/2006 2:47 PM

Order reference: 69323752
Title:            Samsung 27" LE27T51BX HD Ready LCD TV
Price:            #    569.99
Delivery Cost:    FREE

Luckily the 2007 Samsung I bought was light years ahead of it , amazing how quick tech was maturing back then.

Spent £500 on a release day japanese gamecube with luigi mansion, wave race and monkey ball.

Even though i can't understand a word of Japanese.

Oh and my TV played the games in B&W so I had to spend £100 to get a NTSC-PAL converter.

Thankfully.. there was a NTSC/JPN mod available shortly after to save the day. I don't know what possessed me to buy a japanese only console. At least when I put bought a japanese PSP it was multi region. 

This thread is absolute gold. Literally pissing your pants over Golden Axe, £1 jars of chilli sauce at midnight in Asda and teaching oneself Japanese just by looking at the symbols repeatedly. What a bunch of reprobates we all are.

Closest I can come is probably buying an OG Xbox from Dixons via some absolutely terrible credit deal that haunted my bank account throughout uni as it took about 5 fucking years to pay it off. Initially I was rejected as I had zero credit rating at that age but the manager of the Dixons got on the blower and evidently arranged something with a relative of the fucking Kray twins or something. It was all because I saw footage of Halo on a cover-mounted VHS that came with a magazine and I just knew I had to have that in my life no matter the cost. (I've never entered into a credit agreement ever since, so it was probably for the best in the long run). 

Also shuffling zombie-like into central Leeds one Monday morning when I was a student because I was still fucked on MDMA from the night before and on a complete impulse spending about £100 on a GameCube FreeLoader disc and a US import copy of Metroid Prime, even though the game was due to come out in the UK in about a month's time. Best comedown cure ever so I don't regret it at all apart from the fact that if memory serves the NTSC version had a bug that meant you couldn't get 100% completion, which was a little annoying.

Also bought a US import copy of Vagrant Story for some stupid price purely because Famitsu had given it 40/40 so therefore it must be as good as Ocarina of Time. It wasn't. 

Not me, but a guy I used to work with. I discovered one day he hadn't finished red dead redemption, despite loving it and calling it his favourite game ever. He said he'd got to the bit where John goes home and you have to do loads of chores and thought "fuck this" and turned it off, never to play it again. It wasn't until years later, talking with me, I told him that the ending was amazing and he really needed to sort it out, so he did, went home that day, dug it out of the loft, played it and finally finished it and came in the next day like :blink:

Still makes me laugh. 

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

I think we all did this ! I paid £570 for a fucking awful 27 inch Samsung that didn't even have a HDMI port. It had a really strong matte finish on the screen and was just such a dull, crap picture. 360 over VGA was ... OK.....so I got 18 months out of it before throwing my hands up and having to get something better. My Original Xbox, PS2 and even the Dreamcast with it's razor sharp Scart output all looked absolutely awful on it. Worst still i'd took my CRT into work for the staffroom, so I was completely stuck.

Luckily the 2007 Samsung I bought was light years ahead of it , amazing how quick tech was maturing back then.

Yup that’s the one. £600 was an absolute fortune for me then. I was a dirt poor student at the time. 

I stored my 20” Toshiba CRT TV that I had at the time at my parents house, and it was still there till a couple years ago when I got it back, played some old consoles on it again and the RGB SCART input looked glorious! 

I could only get the 360 to look good on it over VGA output specifically native res of the tv. 1366x768 or something. Even PS3 at 720p looked absolutely awful, but I put up with it to a degree. It even pushed me to buy most things on 360 as the PS3 looked so bad. 

I traded a SNES with about 30 games and accessories for an Atari Jaguar with Cybermorph, Doom and AVP. 

The Jaguar was amazing. For a weekend. 

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

I've got that beat. I bought the 32 inch equivalent (although it did have HDMI) for EIGHTEEN HUNDRED POUNDS and then kept using it until about a month ago.

26 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I've got that beat. I bought the 32 inch equivalent (although it did have HDMI) for EIGHTEEN HUNDRED POUNDS and then kept using it until about a month ago.

Well, I feel a bit better about it now thanks :lol:

4 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Modern Chili Sauce 2: Midnight Warfare

I did the same thing, but at Morrisons with a Naan bread 

But I did actually buy the game as well though . £26 + 59p IIRC what a bargain :lol:

Wasn’t me, but a friend at school had heard that the “SNES” was really cool, retro tech with some great games on it. Don’t think he knew much about it beyond that. 

He had to get one, so he bought one, and paid for it by selling his...Super Nintendo. 

Jesus this thread just reminded me of something that I must have mentally blocked out. In about 2006 I'd just bought the Xbox 360 and was in the market for a HD television. Sadly they were ridiculously expensive. I remember looking at a 40" plasma for about £2,000. At the same time Currys where making a fuss about a Sagem television, it was £1,600 and used dlp technology which is never heard  of.  In the store they had it in a back corner as part of a display which meant that you had to stand directly in front of it with the screen perfectly positioned to give you a very bright and colourful image. It was also connected to a PC displaying a video of racing cars and close-ups of very bright vibrant fruit. 

A few days later I found myself in Makro. Yes that high-end speciality electrical retailer. They had a deal of the week for just £999 plus vat, just across from the apples and the kebab meat.  A 46 inch DLP by the better brand of Samsung, including a stand, 1175 quid all in. They didn't have one set up but I can't resist a bargain and I bought it there and then. It was a real struggle getting it into the car. 

Worst TV ever!

Currys knew what they were doing with that Sagem TV display. You had to be right in front of the screen for those vibrant colours. If you sat off to the side it looked like shit. If you were a little higher or lower you lost half the brightness.

It had input lag of about 1 second. It was 720p or 1080i, but not full HD, it was merely Ready for HD whatever that means.  I was ready for HD too, and this TV didn't give me it. The 360 output in the screens native resolution so games were playable thank god, but everything else I owned was literally impossible to use. I've never seen anything like it. Also it meant that when watching a movie the audio from my amplifier would be 1 second ahead of the image.

I read an article online about a thing called "the rainbow effect" and as if by magic I could suddenly see it on every single thing I watched. It would give me a headache. Black and White movies have their own spectrum of colors glittering and floating throughout. 

It broke under warranty and they repaired it and then it broke again a year out of warranty.  I tried to sell it thinking it might be repairable but in that short space of time that I had owned it, plasma had come down so much that we ended up taking this one to the tip. I've never bought a television since without going home and doing lots of research.

Bought an imported Japanese Gamecube that would only output in black and white on my TV. 

I then bought an expensive little box that added colour but the overall image quality was awful. I eventually gave up and got a newer TV.