Jump to content

Amiga Mini on the Way.


Nathan Wind
 Share

Recommended Posts

Or they could have ripped off or licensed the WHDLoad patches that do the same. They might be using WHDLoad anyway to eliminate disc swapping and crack screens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, artz said:

Or they could have ripped off or licensed the WHDLoad patches that do the same. They might be using WHDLoad anyway to eliminate disc swapping and crack screens.

I am sure they are, and I'm sure it is also licensed because there are ties between the people involved in this and the WHD team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

Anyone nostalgic about the power brick? No?

Pws0047a.thumb.JPG.e5cbf136b07502657cb95cc44581d300.JPG

 

if they're smart they'll do a USB hub that looks like that. With a built in sd card reader for teh romz...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was bored so I thought up my dream list of 25 Amiga games for this. They are mostly games that were Amiga-first, Amiga-exclusive or Amiga-best:

 

Cannon Fodder

Monkey Island

Monkey Island 2

Lemmings

Dungeon Master

Shadow of the Beast

SWOS

Populous 2

Mega Lo Mania

Gods

The Chaos Engine

Stunt Car Racer

It Came From The Desert 

Turrican 2

SWIV

RoboCop 3

Hired Guns

Flashback

Wiz Kid

Moonstone

Super Cars 2

Lotus 2

Midwinter

The Pawn

Dune 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I was bored so I thought up my dream list of 25 Amiga games for this. They are mostly games that were Amiga-first, Amiga-exclusive or Amiga-best:

 

Cannon Fodder

Monkey Island

Monkey Island 2

Lemmings

Dungeon Master

Shadow of the Beast

SWOS

Populous 2

Mega Lo Mania

Gods

The Chaos Engine

Stunt Car Racer

It Came From The Desert 

Turrican 2

SWIV

RoboCop 3

Hired Guns

Flashback

Wiz Kid

Moonstone

Super Cars 2

Lotus 2

Midwinter

The Pawn

Dune 2


Good list. I’d change a few, put in Pinball Fantasies, Speedball 2, Blues Brothers and Brutal Deluxe Football, but it’s a solid bunch of picks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, the_debaser said:


Good list. I’d change a few, put in Pinball Fantasies, Speedball 2, Blues Brothers and Brutal Deluxe Football, but it’s a solid bunch of picks. 

Oh yeah! Actually I'm going to swap ...SWIV out for Speedball 2. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those can replace the 3 from Anne's list that are impossible because licencing :)

 

Although this is RetroGames of course, they could just rebadge it "The Esprit 2" and claim that's their trademark forever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Those can replace the 3 from Anne's list that are impossible because licencing :)

 

Although this is RetroGames of course, they could just rebadge it "The Esprit 2" and claim that's their trademark forever.


that would be pretty cool, I love that Amiga game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would probably swap out the graphic adventures - they feel like they work better sat at a desk, rather than in front of a TV - and swap in Alien Breed 2 (and probably Tower Assault), the Killing Game Show, Nitro, Jetstrike, Leander, Paradroid 90, Super Stardust, and Switchblade.

 

I'd be tempted to stick Walker in there, but you need a keyboard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, roobarb said:

Xenon, Rainbow Islands, Spindizzy Worlds

Deliberately left Rainbow Islands out even though it's definitely in my personal top 20 Amiga games. Because the arcade version is first and the Amiga version, though brilliant, doesn't make it better in any way. 

 

The Monkey Island games made it in because of the music, in case anyone is wondering.

 

Xenon - I've never managed to get past level 1 , despite a fair bit of trying. Spindizzy World I know people say a lot of good things about but I've never played it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, K said:

I would probably swap out the graphic adventures - they feel like they work better sat at a desk, rather than in front of a TV - and swap in Alien Breed 2 (and probably Tower Assault), the Killing Game Show, Nitro, Jetstrike, Leander, Paradroid 90, Super Stardust, and Switchblade.

 

I'd be tempted to stick Walker in there, but you need a keyboard.

Leander definitely a good shout. Never played the Alien Breed games until recently on Antstream, and to be honest I wasn't hooked. Seemed to be repetitive, for the limited time I played them. Can definitely see that they would have been exciting back in the day though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

Those can replace the 3 from Anne's list that are impossible because licencing :)

 

Although this is RetroGames of course, they could just rebadge it "The Esprit 2" and claim that's their trademark forever.

Out of interest what are the other two that you think would be impossible because of licensing?

I would say Shadow of the Beast and Dungeon Master would be very difficult to license. 

Antstream has all the arcade, 8-bit and 16-bit Star Wars games now, so I think it's getting harder to say anything is "impossible" to license just because it has a famous name attached. Although the various owners of Star Wars have never been over-shy of putting the name around, I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Leander definitely a good shout. Never played the Alien Breed games until recently on Antstream, and to be honest I wasn't hooked. Seemed to be repetitive, for the limited time I played them. Can definitely see that they would have been exciting back in the day though. 

 

They are a bit dated, and suffer a bit from having endless respawning. Tower Assault is probably the most playable from a modern perspective, as the open-world structure works quite well, and it feels like they toned down the swarms of aliens. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

Out of interest what are the other two that you think would be impossible because of licensing?

I would say Shadow of the Beast and Dungeon Master would be very difficult to license. 

Antstream has all the arcade, 8-bit and 16-bit Star Wars games now, so I think it's getting harder to say anything is "impossible" to license just because it has a famous name attached. Although the various owners of Star Wars have never been over-shy of putting the name around, I guess. 

 

Robocop and Dune.

 

Star wars has the distinct advantage that the movie and game are owned by the same people in the main.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/08/2021 at 19:33, Anne Summers said:

Did they ever officially add new games to them? I know you could add your own ... But I'd always thought there was no reason they couldn't do "DLC" for them with official new games. 

If you add your own, do they fit in with the GUI experience and carousel and all that? Or do you just choose from a list of ROM files on a USB drive?

 

There have been 10 different games added to the various models, including Soulless, Galencia, Hessian and Barnsley Badger (a C64 game for which I wrote the music...)

 

These titles were added directly to the Carousel via the firmware updates, so they appear in the menu and have all the info, screenshots, save states etc.

 

Other firmware updates have added better support for cartridges, C64 RAM Expansion support, easier to set flags for VIC-20 memory expansion and being able to switch joystick ports via the menu buttons on the back of the official stick.

 

There is an unofficial way to add/change the games in the Carousel via a hack, but you run the risk of bricking the console.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Do people all love Speedball 2 because of the two player mode? I remember the single player mode being tediously easy? 

I had a lot of fun with it in single player mode back in the day. I never finished it, so I guess I am just crap! It gets very difficult (for me) in the higher league games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I had a lot of fun with it in single player mode back in the day. I never finished it, so I guess I am just crap! It gets very difficult (for me) in the higher league games. 

I might be mistaken but I seem to remember it being very easy to win once you got the hang of it which killed the replayability for me...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I might be mistaken but I seem to remember it being very easy to win once you got the hang of it which killed the replayability for me...

You're probably right. Despite having loved games all my life I've never been overly skilled when it comes to actually playing them. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, ucci said:

Is it a given that the Amiga version of Speedball 2 is the best one?


I think the CD32 version has tweaked visuals that make the two teams easier to distinguish, and has new music on the intro (which is actually alright and sounds like the Pet Shop Boys weirdly, but isn’t as good as the original). The Megadrive version is more or less identical to the Amiga, but has worse music. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, K said:


I think the CD32 version has tweaked visuals that make the two teams easier to distinguish, and has new music on the intro (which is actually alright and sounds like the Pet Shop Boys weirdly, but isn’t as good as the original). The Megadrive version is more or less identical to the Amiga, but has worse music. 

The gaudier palette of the CD32 version is one of those few examples were the wider AGA colour display was used to positive effect in a game, IMO. That and The Chaos Engine, where the improved contrast helps during heated gameplay moments. In retrospect, the Bitmap Brothers' iconic ‘metallic’ graphical style seems to have been designed around the Atari ST’s hardware limitations…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.